on irrigation

csarmi

Chieftain
Sorry if it has been brought up before, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the forums. Maybe because the answer is simple as short, just like I fear it is.

So here is the picture. I started on a huge map on a (presumably) big continent with LOTS of bonus resources (wheat, game, incense, cow, sugar all over the place). So I can't complain. There seems to be a catch though. It is surrounded by sea and I can't see any rivers. There is a little lake (one tile) in the middle of the continent close to me - but that's surrounded by mountains.

The questions are:

1, How can I find out if a water source is fresh? (ie maybe the sea I see is a lake?)
2, Is there a way to lead water out of that small lake?
3, If there isn't, do I presume right that I won't be able to irrigate AT ALL till I get electricity? -- unless i get some river like 50 tiles away from me and build a huuuge aqueduct :) Or is there a little trick like building and abandoning a city or smth like that?

thanks in advance for the reply

csarmi said:
So here is the picture. I started on a huge map on a (presumably) big continent with LOTS of bonus resources (wheat, game, incense, cow, sugar all over the place). So I can't complain. There seems to be a catch though. It is surrounded by sea and I can't see any rivers. There is a little lake (one tile) in the middle of the continent close to me - but that's surrounded by mountains.

The questions are:

1, How can I find out if a water source is fresh? (ie maybe the sea I see is a lake?)
2, Is there a way to lead water out of that small lake?
3, If there isn't, do I presume right that I won't be able to irrigate AT ALL till I get electricity? -- unless i get some river like 50 tiles away from me and build a huuuge aqueduct :) Or is there a little trick like building and abandoning a city or smth like that?

thanks in advance for the reply

If the water is a lake, it will be surrounded by land on all four sides. The terrain will still say coast.

You can irrigate adjacent tiles. If you canfound a town on an adjacent hill, you can irrigate the tiles adjacent the new town. At least in C3C you can.

You will be able to irrigate after Electricity, not before.

vmxa said:
If the water is a lake, it will be surrounded by land on all four sides. The terrain will still say coast.

You can irrigate adjacent tiles. If you canfound a town on an adjacent hill, you can irrigate the tiles adjacent the new town. At least in C3C you can.

You will be able to irrigate after Electricity, not before.

If the water is a lake, it gives 2 food without a harbor, yes?

Also, I thought you could not irrigate through a hill no matter whether there was a city there or not. That's the way it was in vanilla civ3 and I haven't seen any different since, but then I never had reason to re-check. Did they really change it or have I been decieved all these years? :confused: :cry:

kmm

King Monkeyman said:
If the water is a lake, it gives 2 food without a harbor, yes?
yes!

kmm said:
Also, I thought you could not irrigate through a hill no matter whether there was a city there or not. That's the way it was in vanilla civ3 and I haven't seen any different since, but then I never had reason to re-check. Did they really change it or have I been decieved all these years?
It changed when PtW came out IIRC.

I can't remember if it was in PTW or not, but it is in C3C. I know it was not in vanilla.

Quite correct, but if you place a city on a hill you can use it to irrigate through the city (and thus through the hills) in non-vanilla games.

Glad to see you back Tone!

A hypothetical question along these lines. What if you need to found towns side by side in order to get the water? Can you even found towns on adjacent tiles?

buolt the town, irrigate, then raze and built another. unless there's two hills.

be sure to check the w, n, e, and s diagonals. the two squares don't have to share a side, just a point.

I knew i payed to much attention in math.

Top Bottom