One City challenge

@OzzyKP
Did you choose 3000BC start or 600AD start? And was it on Monarch or Emperor difficulty?
Also plese tell us about some strategies and interesting events.

I did it on Monarch and 600AD. I tried to build as much culture as I could so I could work all 20 tiles. It was hard to do with the English, German and French culture in my way. I attacked Germany and France when I had built an army big enough to take out one of their cities and they both collapsed leaving me with a ton of resources. France respawned right at the end, thats why the culture is kinda strange. Also Spain decided to declare war on me while I was finishing up my space ship so that made things difficult as they destroyed a lot of my resources, blockaded my port, and even launched a nuclear weapon somewhere in Germany. The Opera house is a life saver obviously so needing only to worry about health I was able to grow Amsterdam fairly big fairly easily.

Nicely done! :goodjob:

And as far as I know, Mayan OOC UHV is impossible on Monarch w/o the help of goody huts. I tried many times, and I never even popped a tech once, let alone mathematics or calendar. I had the assumption that Rhye removed tech-popping for the Mayans.

If it is possible, you would have to settle on the spot for the silver mines huge research boost. Even then, I always miss it by a few turns.

Problem with settling on spot is the lack of production and food. I tried settling 1W of start, which gives both stone and silver, but then you lack food and you cannot hire scientists and grow at the same time. I guess its simply impossible to get to calendar in time w/o the help from goody huts; tried again today to see how it would go and missed the 1st goal by several rounds (not to mention that the wonder was already done prior to 600 AD).

Ok, I'd say it's impossible to do w/o huts. I've attached a save game from my last (quasi) winning game (w/ huaxyacac). The warrior will pop mathematics from the hut. Then you'll be able to finish calendar in time. I was then able to build the temple just one turn before babylon would finish it (be sure to build an academy using the GS, otherwise you won't finish code of laws in time to beat babylon). Unfortunately, I forgot to select the OCC option, so continuing this one would be even more frustrating.

Now the lesson learned is: You need the two corns, otherwise you cannot hire the necessary scientists in time (the silver cannot provide enough research to get calendar and code of laws in time). And you need to save atleast 7 turns from either mathematics or calendar using a hut, otherwise you will fail the first goal.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 981
  • Maya w Mathematics.CivBeyondSwordSave
    269.1 KB · Views: 190
Viking space race, 600 AD, monarch, 1995

Started out razing bordeaux and frankfurt, France goes to marseille on spawn, took mercs and whipped/chopped catapults to wipe them out. Built essential buildings and a few more troops to take out netherlands on spawn, from there all I had to do was raze 2 British cities to collapse them, and the whole area is mine. From there, the run to liberalism, halted by printing press, to get constitution as the free tech. After this, just diplomacy and building tech and wonders to get the ship in the air. Cruise the last 20 turns building nukes, and launch them right before win....super fun game.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 370
Now we know that even Maya can win with some luck, and Vikings can win without initial workers.
Great job, folks!

Vikings start with workers in the 600AD start I think?

Not if they settle in France. I think you only get the workers if your capital founded by turn 3 and it is in your spawn zone or something like that. Not 100% sure but in this situation I don't think the workers would appear.

The starting civs of 600AD start with workers, those are Japan, Vikings, China, Arabia.

I don't know this thread is still in use, but I have finished an egyptian conquest on monarch.

Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPGCiv4ScreenShot0028.JPG

Launched: 2000 AD
Arrived: 2020 AD

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0031.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0031.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 282
  • Civ4ScreenShot0030.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0030.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 259
Civ4ScreenShot0034.JPG
1) When the Greeks spawned they dropped their settler and warrior on the island but they never built the city. Why?
2) I own 1 tile NE of the island.

I see that quite often on RAND. I think if you own too much culture around a potential city site, the AI will not build that city. And since the AI is so deficient in loading units that were previously unloaded, they'll just sit there forever.

Founded Kyouto, switched to HR and slavery on the first turn. Initial research order was Sailing, Math, CoL, Civil Service (switched to bureaucracy and caste system), Aesthetics, Drama. Whipped a granary, and a forge, then built a trireme, then the 3 coastal wonders. Traded with Rome, Carthage, etc., for AH, Iron Working, and some other techs. Once I had Alphabet (I forget whether I bulbed it or traded for it), I was able to trade with China for Calendar. After CS and Drama, I researched toward Liberalism and Constitution first (switched to representation and free religion), then toward Astronomy. The next target was Railroad (for the Channel Tunnel), then Medicine to avoid the plague and because I needed a hospital (health was an issue throughout the game), then Rocketry, then Computers (actually, I dithered a little between those two), then the techs needed for spaceship parts, starting with ecology. Along the way, I saved a great scientist to found the Aluminum Co. (got coal from the Dutch before they collapsed; a little while later, I got aluminum from Germany, then coal from China). I never switched my economic civic; either free market or environmentalism might have been helpful, but I wasn't sure the benefit would've been worth another anarchy turn. I launched with one engine (all other parts built) in 1961. China, as it happened, launched in 1973, the very year my spaceship arrived!

Had a couple of lucky quests: the trireme quest, which gave me some extra commerce from my harbor, and the musket quest, which gave me a golden age. Had some other lucky random events, too, but I don't remember them exactly. Also, I think I popped math from a hut, though that might've been another game, too. I also made some dumb mistakes, like building a nuke plant (no uranium) and delaying the shale plant because I forgot about the 20% hammer bonus, which works whether you have coal or not.

I used Great People mainly for bulbing, though I built an academy, of course, settled a couple of merchants for food and an engineer (got him late-game and had nothing better to do with him), and used two for a golden age, in addition to founding Aluminum Co. as mentioned above. Incidentally, it took a LONG time for the AI even to be able to sell me coal; I traded Steam Power to China and some other civs, but even after China hooked up all its coal resources, coal didn't show up on the resource trading screen. Either there's some other requirement for being able to trade coal, or they traded it to their vassals right away.
Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG

Top Bottom