Only 30 Civs in base game (+ Shawnee)

JNR13

Warlord
Moderator Action: Attention, the source is this video
at 31 minutes!

Not sure about you guys, but this was just revealed at PAX Australia and I'm kinda devastated. This seems to be far below any of our estimations. Looks as if the 11 pips in exploration were correct, 10 average + Shawnee.

So my guesses would be:
MississippiHawaiiAmerica
MayaIncaMexico
HanMingQing
MauryaCholaMughal
KhmerIndonesiaSiam
RomeSpainFrance
GreeceNormanBritain
PersiaMongoliaMeiji
EgyptAbbasidsGermany (not as Abbasid successor, this spot was just the only one left)
AksumSonghaiBuganda

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I was expecting more too but it makes sense, even decoupled from leaders they're so much harder to make now with all unique stuff and, if I understand what they said correctly, even having unique building versions for all civs.

Rather than the number itself versus expectations, what I'm more worried about this information, is that it means likely the interpretation people had from a previous info is correct and there is only standard size maps at launch even at single player on pc, as the number of civs may be too small for a huge map. Maybe if it is not 10/10/10, but then we already got 8 ancient, so even then it would be 8/11/11. I guess maybe if the time it increases the civ is really modern instead of exploration like we though and it is instead something like 9/9/12 or 8/10/12, then 12 for huge would be doable.

"Only" come on that is more than they ever have before.

I'm not all that surprised. They appear to be releasing a more fully featured Civilization game . . . and future revenue will come from Civilization packs rather than lots of expansions layering on extra rules and game systems.

31 is still a lot (even broken up into Eras). And we already know we have at least 8 more Civs coming in DLC in the next 7 months.

This on top of them showing that units seem to stop at WW2-era, no cold-war or contemporary units - thus I'm assuming no cold-war or contemporary gameplay or techs is also majorly disappointing. I was weary in the beginning but fell in-love with the major gameplay differences for this iteration, but I don't like at all how it seems they've left big areas of content out for future expansions that perviously were in the base game.

"Only" come on that is more than they ever have before.
Technically, yes. But it realistically means only 10 choices per age.

This on top of them showing that units seem to stop at WW2-era, no cold-war or contemporary units - thus I'm assuming no cold-war or contemporary gameplay or techs is also majorly disappointing. I was weary in the beginning but fell in-love with the major gameplay differences for this iteration, but I don't like at all how it seems they've left big areas of content out for future expansions that perviously were in the base game.
Yes, I think a 4th Future Era is the most likely 'big' expansion. Before then they will be filling out with DLC Civilizations.

The entire 3 ages system is MUCH harder to layer additional rules into. And Ed has talked about wanting to provide a more feature complete game.

Future Era gets to add all the new stuff and additional Civs . . . either based on actual one or create new Future civs!

That’s disappointing. I let myself get hyped up for 45. Oh well.
I was cautiously hoping for 40, but clearly I was not cautious enough.

Yes, I think a 4th Future Era is the most likely 'big' expansion. Before then they will be filling out with DLC Civilizations.

The entire 3 ages system is MUCH harder to layer additional rules into. And Ed has talked about wanting to provide a more feature complete game.

Future Era gets to add all the new stuff and additional Civs . . . either based on actual one or create new Future civs!
I'm not even talking about the Future Era however I mean things like; helicopters, missile ships, nuclear submarines and modern tanks. Or for buildings and techs things like supermarkets, nuclear power, drones, the internet. If units stop at sherman tanks, monopropeller fighters and riflemen then I assume techs do as well, which explains why modern cities are very industrialization-esq in their style. Its just disappointing that 2 base game ages seem to have been entirely removed from the design.

We've seen rockets launching. It's safe to say the third era does not end at WW2. I also remain firmly in the "we don't need more eras" camp.

What civs would even be in a final era? Fictional civs like the Union of North and South America or a federated European Union? Would be kind of boring. Expanding the three they have (which already cover...everything) is the way to go.

We've seen rockets launching. It's safe to say the third era does not end at WW2. I also remain firmly in the "we don't need more eras" camp.
I agree we don't 'Need' more Eras. Mostly I just want them to NOT keep dumping new rule systems on top of the existing game (like Civ 6).

I want the game to be solid out the gate and not require DLC to make it good (or get ruined by too many gameplay DLC in an effort to keep bringing in revenue).

The three Era system is ideal for selling lots of Civilization packs, so hopefully that is where Firaxis can get the ongoing revenue they want.

RomeNormanBritain
GreeceAbbasidFrance
MayaMongoliaUSA
Han ChinaChola IndiaMughal India
AksumSonghaiBuganda
EgyptSpainMeiji Japan
KhmerMing ChinaSiam
Maurya IndiaMajapahit?Qing China?
Mississipi/Cahokia?Shogunate Japan?Ottoman?
Achaemenid Persia?Inca?Mexico?

Does this seem reasonable given what we know? (Playing it really cautious with what I'm counting as "confirmed" to avoid getting burned)

On second thought, Britain might not be as guaranteed as I assumed...

Top Bottom