Open Letter To Steam and Firaxis Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid your grasp on consumer's rights is maybe a bit too simplistic and primitive for a discussion to be had.
Would you come back after you've educated yourself, please ?

Edit : this apply to the message just under this one, too.

So now you resort to personal insults? You're not worth the effort. If you do not even recognise that you have the ultimate right not to buy if you don't like the deal, there's no hope for you.

For a concrete example of a loss to the consumer with Steam...I'd pick patches. It looks as if Firaxis is putting some stupid ideas into the next patch - and I can't choose whether I want to include them or not. My copy will be "fixed" by the Steam mother hen.

I also dislike that I added a game that pops up ads on my computer screen. Not all of us want to have ads shoved in our faces all of the time.

Putting a CD in a drive to run a game is little bother and works. So there is no special need for this layer of digital intrusion.

I'm afraid your grasp on consumer's rights is maybe a bit too simplistic and primitive for a discussion to be had.
Would you come back after you've educated yourself, please ?

Edit : this apply to the message just under this one, too.

Yo if you're going to get personal how about you take all of 2 minutes to create a steamcommunity page to show that you actually own the game and that your plausibly deniable reference to having pirated it earlier was just a bad joke.
Moderator Action: Trolling is not allowed here.

For a concrete example of a loss to the consumer with Steam...I'd pick patches. It looks as if Firaxis is putting some stupid ideas into the next patch - and I can't choose whether I want to include them or not. My copy will be "fixed" by the Steam mother hen.

I also dislike that I added a game that pops up ads on my computer screen. Not all of us want to have ads shoved in our faces all of the time.

Putting a CD in a drive to run a game is little bother and works. So there is no special need for this layer of digital intrusion.

Right click --> properties on the game. Turn off auto-update.

Steam menu --> settings --> interface --> untick "Notify me".

Opt-in is not the same as opt-out.

I was trying to be helpful. If you don't like it, piss off.
Moderator Action: Flaming is not allowed here.

I was trying to be helpful.

And he/she only posted what he/she sees still as an annoying element.

If you don't like it, piss off.
:nope:
_____

And btw to be also helpful, considering the auto update - the official steam faq for civ5 says that you have to use the offline mode of steam to avoid them. Turning off auto-update in the properties shall only affect the download of the patches in the background - if you want to play the game in online mode and the game is not up to date it will be patched (and will start to download the patch)

Spoiler :
Q. Is it possible to stop Steam from automatically patching Civilization V?
A. The only way to ensure your game is not updated is to play in offline mode. If you are in online mode your game will be automatically updated.

Are you sure about this ? Steam doesn't work this way. For each game you can go to properties > updates > automatic updates anche choose if auto-patching is enabled or not.

That will stop Steam from keeping the game up to date in the background. Once you try to launch the game, however, Steam will update your game if it's not up to date, not matter what that option is set to.

For someone complaining about tone and attitude you certainly have quite a chip on your shoulder.

People who don't pirate (ever) have legitimate reservations about Steam. Deal with it.

And think before you post.
Moderator Action: You are not allowed to flame back. Use the report function instead!

People keep coming up with this like its the ultimate zinger for how Steam is bad. All it shows is you've not looked in the Settings menu to turn them off.

Yep, he has to disable multiplayer, since launching the game at all in online mode counts as a request to update it, regardless of that setting.

The difficulty in avoiding a patch is definitely one of the downsides that have come with civ5 being attached to steam. It's ok for people who don't mind the patches of course.

For someone complaining about tone and attitude you certainly have quite a chip on your shoulder.

You were the one complaining about something 2 minutes of research would have answered, and then got all snarky about an answer when given one, not me. :lol:

People who don't pirate (ever) have legitimate reservations about Steam. Deal with it.

I seriously hope you're not calling me a pirate. I don't have reservations about Steam so going by your claim, I must therefore pirate. Your argument is either terminally flawed, or your trying to insult me. Which is it?

And think before you post.

There are many juvenile fanbois who have been frequent and persistent posters here about how great Civ 5 is since before the game was even released. They speak in every thread with their unwavering praise and attempt to drown out any critics with their flood of comments, often ending in "if you don't like it then go play Civ 4". A quick scan of this and other threads and you will see their names again and again. Just ignore them.

Then there are people like Dale. He goes above and beyond. He has not only been a long time supporter of Civ 5 and Steam, but even kept attempting to justify the $80 USD price his fellow Australians were asked to pay for the digital download of Civ5.

In the Civ 5 manual in the credits on page 197 you will see Dale's name. This may help to explain his "If you don't like it, piss off" response.

Many of us dislike being forced to deal with Steam.
Moderator Action: Trolling and spreading lies is not allowed here.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

If you do not even recognise that you have the ultimate right not to buy if you don't like the deal, there's no hope for you.
I recognize the right to buy or not buy.
I'm just not as simplistic as to consider it's the only right consumers have.

Oh, and as a side note :
So now you resort to personal insults? You're not worth the effort.
:mischief:
Moderator Action: Use the report function when you see such things.

I recognize the right to buy or not buy.
I'm just not as simplistic as to consider it's the only right consumers have.

The thing is, it IS as simple as that. If you don't like the deal, don't buy it.

Oh, and as a side note :

:mischief:

Reading comprehension is a good thing mate. If he didn't like my HELP then he can do that. :rolleyes:

The thing is, it IS as simple as that. If you don't like the deal, don't buy it.
Hence my previous post. Reality is (hopefully !) a bit more complex than that.
Reading comprehension is a good thing mate. If he didn't like my HELP then he can do that. :rolleyes:
He simply pointed that "opt-in" is clearly not the same thing than "opt-out". Which is true, and not offensive in any way. Your answer was exactly what you are blaming others about, and with even less justifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom