Optimal time to grant independence to colony?

Optimal time to grant colonies independence is

when you have a tech (like assembly line) that will grant them strong units with independence

and/or you have spread your corps to them, as there is a higher fee for spreading to foreign cities.

Colonies on small islands aren't about gaining benefit, they're about reducing losses.

In the game I'm currently playing on Emperor (Huge map, marathon game speed) I became involved in a remote, primarily Naval war. A full scale invasion of his homeland wasn't an option. The AI had settled an island with 2 cities (two other were held by Barbarians) and probably hadn't finished the job because my Privateers had been intercepting his galleons.

I invaded all four cities to create a nearby base and their cost took my 70/20/10 economy to -45 per turn from a profit of around 15 per turn before that. Obviously a completely unsustainable cost in the long term given that they contributed very little in the grand scheme of things and they were colonized pretty sharpish, granting them riflemen (freeing up my garrisons) as well as still acting as friendly ports for my privateers to run to for quick healing or when chased by Frigates.

Another downside to colonies is the downside to any vassal. Lets say you've been trying to keep Napoleon next door at friendly so he won't attack you, and so far you're doing a good job. Suddenly you spawn a Colony and it's Gandhi. Right off the bat Napoleon will be annoyed with him. and now your relations with him are down the crapper. Prepare to get dowed any minute now.

How are the new leader/civname/color chosen? I have a colony I'd like to grant, but I keep getting that firaxis guy and orange/carthage. If I wait 20 turns, will it fit it up with a different leader? I know there are other choices to be made, I frequently get Montezuma or somebody when I play other games...

Thanks for bumping this thread, I have been wondering about the thread's subject but always forget to ask. As for your question I believe it's based on RL history e.g. england gets america as a colony if america isn't on the map yet, else it's a random civ not yet in the game, and if there are no other civs left you get Sid Meier of the Barbarians. On thread topic I think it's worth granting independence to colonies only on difficulties where the AI gets bonuses vs the human, if the situation warrants it; the timing is irrelevant if they can catch up quickly with your help

Hm, that makes sense...but when I waited a few turns (perhaps it was that I stopped playing and then loaded my game and played some more) I got Cyrus instead of Sid meyer...

I forgot to mention that those were only probable tendencies, not hard and fast rules when liberating a colony. Maybe some other poster or a guide somewhere can explain it better

Top Bottom