Orbis 1.0 Bug Thread

Two little things:

In last, third part of Gaelan event only option available is one that gives you magic-resistant ranger and -3 :science: from mage guild. Maybe there are other conditions for it, but I was playing as AV worshipping Sheaim so can't imagine better candidate for this option ;)

When I'm challenging animal as Doviello no combat odds are displayed. Odds are displayed when challenging animals as Ljorsfal.

It seems like there might be a memory leak somewhere in the Orbis code. I had a CtD from a "Memory allocation failure" error, and when I opened up the Task Manager, Civ 4 was using over 500 megabytes of memory (with a total page file size of 1.29 GB).

The problem with memory errors like this one (and the graphics issue I mentioned earlier in this thread) is that it is nearly impossible to duplicate the crash in a systematic fashion, since the error is only tangentially related to what one is doing in-game. If someone wishes to try, though, here's the game settings I was playing on:

Huge Marathon - Tectonic map
Playing as Mechanos (Verrochio)
with Svartalfar, Sheaim, Lanun, Elohim, Scions, Luchuirp, Grigori, Bannor, Illians, Sidar
Options: No Tech Brokering, New Random Seed on Reload, Blessings of Amathon, Living World (and maybe All Unique Features, I don't recall for certain).

The memory errors started coming around Turn 720 (lots of map explored, most of the other civs' cities visible due to espionage).

MAFs are common problem with many mods and is probably not unique to Orbis. I have lots of MAF crashes on WinXP, but still have to encounter one on Win7. Also, when using /3gb 'fix' on WinXP machine MAFs I get them much less often (one in 20-30 turns, late game huge map).

Though I have to admit that I had less MAFs in older versions. So unless this is somehow related to code as daveishere55 said, I'd assume this is because of all those new unit arts.

Kalina,

Could it also be possible that some of these MAF's and CTD's could be related to the fact that these mods are made one OS such as Vista and then played on another OS such as XP ?

I've always wondered about this. Since many of the newer mods and updates will be made on Win 7, Im wondering if my little XP system will be able to handle them.

Ahwaric, I'm disapointed : you're not the omniscient overlord I imagined...

So here is my save, with the *sight* necesary explanations :

There's a lone horseman, in sheaim territory. If you move him just one square northwest, through the mountain pass (numpad 7) CTD (on my vista rig...who can explain the mysteries of computer science ? I swear I have not modified my orbis install in anyway).

It is the very first time I have it, and it's my third version 1 game, so it seems pretty rare.

Oh, and I maybe haven't said it, so : taking the pain to extend FFH, in the way ROM did for BTS, is one hell of a good job !

Attachments

• OScion.CivBeyondSwordSave
    380 KB · Views: 188
Kalina,

Could it also be possible that some of these MAF's and CTD's could be related to the fact that these mods are made one OS such as Vista and then played on another OS such as XP ?

I've always wondered about this. Since many of the newer mods and updates will be made on Win 7, Im wondering if my little XP system will be able to handle them.

Not sure about CTD (though in 1.00 there was a game-breaking bug that appeared only on XP, but it was quickly solved) but MAFs are more common on WinXP because of memory issues. Civ IV in general has problems with memory leaks, but on newer system you can use more than 4+ gb of ram, while on XP you're limited to 3gb IIRC.

There is a 'fix' that sometimes help with memory issues on WinXP. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=225205 It helped me a bit with 1.00 version, when I was having MAF crashes as often as every 2-3 turns.

Kalina,

Well..I made it through a Duel-sized map without a MAF. Gonna see what my limit is. Im using the Ljolsafar as my test for my race and keeping the opponents random.

We'll see what happens and what size I can make it to.

I used to get MAFs all the time, but I recently upgraded from 32bit xp to 64bit 7, with 8 gigs of ram, and I've yet to have a single one, though I've only played on standard maps so far. In fact, I think I'll go start a huge map and see how I do.

Although, back when I was playing on XP, the \3gb thingy really did work for me. Previously I had been crashing at the end of standard games, but with that 'fix' I could usually finish one.

Ahwaric, I'm disapointed : you're not the omniscient overlord I imagined...

So here is my save, with the *sight* necesary explanations :

There's a lone horseman, in sheaim territory. If you move him just one square northwest, through the mountain pass (numpad 7) CTD (on my vista rig...who can explain the mysteries of computer science ? I swear I have not modified my orbis install in anyway).

It is the very first time I have it, and it's my third version 1 game, so it seems pretty rare.

Oh, and I maybe haven't said it, so : taking the pain to extend FFH, in the way ROM did for BTS, is one hell of a good job !
I just tried out the save you posted, and it crashed for me too.

Don't know if it's a bug but I get asked if I want to gain aggressive trait every turn. I attacked and kept a capital city around turn 150. I'm a minor leader.

Also is there any other way to get charismatic other than hope for it a feudalism.

Thanks and great modmod!!!

Lysara the Frostmaiden, one of the hero's for the white hand. Is she supposed to get heroic? (aka, she doesn't have it at the moment).

-Colin

Hi. A few things.

Is the rule of not getting both ingenuity and magic resistance traits for a minor leader still there? I was just trying the Palatinate civ as Julia and I got both ... with the charismatic trait that is hard to get.

Every new custom game with doviello in it starts with "Lucian has been created" then "Lucian has been killed" and lastly "Lucian has been created" again all on the first turn.

Lastly every time I quit the game normally, a second or two later I would get a "Civ IV BTS has stopped working" even though I already closed the game ...

Lastly every time I quit the game normally, a second or two later I would get a "Civ IV BTS has stopped working" even though I already closed the game ...

Heh. That happens to me every time I play Orbis as well. Since it didn't really affect my gameplay I didn't mention it. :)

I had a multiple "A dragon cult has been founded in a distant land" event messages during a game in different time periods. I didn't check it with WB but it bothers me.

Also it looks like that "explore lair with a stack of units, get as many lair results" relates only to specific lairs, like goblin fort which turns into a normal fort.

I had a multiple "A dragon cult has been founded in a distant land" event messages during a game in different time periods. I didn't check it with WB but it bothers me.

Also it looks like that "explore lair with a stack of units, get as many lair results" relates only to specific lairs, like goblin fort which turns into a normal fort.

You always get multiple "A dragon cult has been founded in a distant land" event messages in first time if there are multiple eligible civilizations and the last one keeps holy city. But it should happen only in second turn.

I also noticed bug with new goblin forts - and btw, I like them very much. Goblin Forts are usually toughest to conquer so it's nice you get a guaranteed reward for doing so :)

Also there's a bug with lair exploration events. Like, when you anger lizardmen and other. Actually a cosmetic bug. The event round pointer which points at the location of the event is puprle (no icon inside).

Yeah, I would have to say there is some sort of memory leak. I'm on windows 7, and while I do not get MAF messages, I'm getting to point in my current game where it is locking up between turns every two to three turns. When I go to my task manager, Civ has ballooned up to 99% of my CPU usage. At that point, I can end task, reload the game, and go for another couple of turns and get then same thing.

I'm playing on a huge creation map, normal speed, with a lot of civs. I can upload some of my save game files if they will make a difference.

It seems like there might be a memory leak somewhere in the Orbis code. I had a CtD from a "Memory allocation failure" error, and when I opened up the Task Manager, Civ 4 was using over 500 megabytes of memory (with a total page file size of 1.29 GB).

The problem with memory errors like this one (and the graphics issue I mentioned earlier in this thread) is that it is nearly impossible to duplicate the crash in a systematic fashion, since the error is only tangentially related to what one is doing in-game. If someone wishes to try, though, here's the game settings I was playing on:

Huge Marathon - Tectonic map
Playing as Mechanos (Verrochio)
with Svartalfar, Sheaim, Lanun, Elohim, Scions, Luchuirp, Grigori, Bannor, Illians, Sidar
Options: No Tech Brokering, New Random Seed on Reload, Blessings of Amathon, Living World (and maybe All Unique Features, I don't recall for certain).

The memory errors started coming around Turn 720 (lots of map explored, most of the other civs' cities visible due to espionage).

Well so far I've had two rather abrupt CTD's in the two games I've played. The first happened about turn 200 (?) playing as Scions and the second happened real early playing the Palatinate. I wasn't able to get a decent save so I'll try again.

I was surprised that playing as an agnostic Scion, I couldn't research any tech that would enable a religion but could still found the White Hand. If anything, I'd expect that the Scions could at least found the CoE.

One question I do have is the music. What order odes one do the manual shift from the FfH media pack? I miss the Dead Can Dance music with the opening credits!

UPDATE: Okay I had another POW! CtD playing as the Dao. Plus I'm noticing that even when I'm shutting down Orbis w/o a crash, my Civ seems crash since I keep getting these window errors saying that Civ couldn't close properly.

UPDATE II: Just played a 100 turns of Planetfall and when I logged out of that Civ mod, I didn't have the same crash as I mentioned when leaving Orbis.

Top Bottom