Orthodoxism and Protestantism RFC Mod

MatthewH86

Chieftain
Hey!

After a long time not playing Civ IV (shock horror), I've finally come back and I've made a mod which is basically Panopticon's Reformation Mod but tweaked and have added the Orthodox church in.

NOTE: This was built using the RFCMP Mod, it may work on the single player one, it may not. Probably should though...

Differences in gameplay:
Spoiler :
  • Christianity is now Catholicism
  • Confucianism is now Orthodoxy
  • Judaism is now Protestantism

• Chinese UHV is now to build 3 Taoist Pagodas
  • Roman UHV is to conquer the historical territories of the West Roman, East Roman and Byzantine Empires

• Carthage gets a city on Karalis
  • Barbarian England, France, Germany and Spain spawn earlier so Rome can conquer instead of settle
  • Jerusalem has a new wonder which acts like a Forbidden Palace but also generates Gold and Culture; The Temple of Solomon.

• When Philosophy is first researched, Orthodoxy is founded and all that Civ's Catholic cities and buildings become Orthodox
  • When Philosophy is researched by a Civ with Catholic cities they have a chance of swapping cities and buildings over to Orthodoxy depending on whether they were historically Orthodox
  • When Printing Press is first researched, Protestantism is founded and the player is given a chance to accept that their Civ's Catholic and Orthodox cities and buildings become Protestant
  • When Printing Press is researched by a Civ with Catholic or Orthodox cities they have a chance of swapping cities and buildings over to Protestantism depending on whether they were historically Protestant
Versions
Spoiler :

v0.3
  • Fixed maps
  • Orthodoxy spawns at 1050AD at Byzantion if unfounded

v0.2
  • Added custom maps
  • Renamed Orthodoxism to Orthodoxy
  • Reverted Ancestorism back to Taoism

v0.1
Initial release

Download latest from Rapidshare

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 375
  • Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 402
  • Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 310
  • Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 251
  • Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 317
Looks neat, but a few suggestions:

1) It should be "Orthodoxy," not orthodoxism.

2) Is the Chinese UHV even possible this way? I mean, I haven't played Civ of any sort in forever, but wouldn't you need a LOT of Taoist temples to make 4 pagodas?

3) If your goal is something approaching "historical accuracy," I'd suggest having Confucianism instead of Taoism.

4) But if you must have the latter, please don't call it "ancestorism." Stick with the original name. It just makes more sense.

Looks neat, but a few suggestions:
1) It should be "Orthodoxy," not orthodoxism.
2) Is the Chinese UHV even possible this way? I mean, I haven't played Civ of any sort in forever, but wouldn't you need a LOT of Taoist temples to make 4 pagodas?
3) If your goal is something approaching "historical accuracy," I'd suggest having Confucianism instead of Taoism.
4) But if you must have the latter, please don't call it "ancestorism." Stick with the original name. It just makes more sense.

1) Yeah I was thinking about this, I stuck with Orthodoxism because it fits in with the other 'isms :p
2) Made a mistake, it's 3; which is still a fair amount... Any suggestions?
3+4) I didn't like the idea of sacrificing one or the other, so I basically got rid of both. But if you want Taoism instead of Ancestorism, it's in the XML Text supplied.

OMG please make this for single player!
Also in the 600ad start is Orthedoxy spread to the eastern provinces at the beggining?

EDIT: I have installed this for multiplayer as it didnt work with me for single player however that might have been it not working with other things I have added to my version of rhyes. I would also like to say that this rocks. :D

Also now that russia is usually orthadox it means that the power ratio between prodistants and catholics is now more even. :)

Hm, seems like the only problem for single player is the maps. Normal 3000BC works fine for me, since there are no preset religions in cities. 600AD is tougher, I tried removing the oddball religions (Orthodoxy in China, Protestantism having been founded in Jerusalem, etc.) but it still lists them as founded so this effectively removes them from the game. Anyone know how to make religions "unfound"?

Sorry for the double post, I just discovered that you have to tweak some Python files in order to play any civ that needs to "autoplay", i.e. doesn't start at 3000BC. I'll post them if anyone's interested.

EDIT: On balance: Religions aren't founded where they should be any more. Egypt gets Hinduism most of the time, Babylon got Taoism twice, for some reason Catholicism is founded in Byzantion a lot :S
I've rarely seen a Christian Europe, the eastern religions spread a lot farther.

Have you thought about 2 Taoism pagodas and 2 Buddhist (whatever Buddhists have, cant remember) for the Chinese UHV, so they still only need to own 8 cities?

Also, you might want to put in the first post that it runs with single player if it does now.

This is a great idea, although I agree with Al-Iskander that it should be Orthodoxy, not Orthodoxism and Confucianism, not 'ancestorism'.

Ancestral worship is hardly unique to the Chinese religions - it was/is practiced by most non-monotheistic peoples so 'Ancestorism' just sounds weird. It makes sense to eliminate Taoism rather than Confucianism because Confucianism was always the state religion kind of one - it focuses on order and social roles. Taoism was the complementary flip side to Confucianism, focusing on individualism and a rejection of social roles. Confucianism as the official imperial religion also embraced much more than just Confucius' teachings, so in that sense it was more representative of the whole spectrum of Chinese beliefs than Taoism.

Any chances those who can't code for themself could get a modification that says Confucianism and Orthodoxy in the religion screen?

Top Bottom