OSG 12 - All Your Rocks are Belong to Us!

Im not going to go on about my previous attempts of this variant and the similarities towards the beggining of this scene but be forwarned of the importance of advanced technology, xenophobes damn troubled minds and the strengh of alliances..

I have also found that the cost towards resources by stealing tech is not worth the effort in the long run.

Long live the borg, and shake all those who appose our assimilation!!

p.s: I have yet to win on different and more favourable maps... :(

Ohh and that was a great turn Stup..

Have to agree on the Humans as a very viable option for assimilation due to there location, and would also suggest mass fleet movements at timed arrivals for a blockade assault when the time is right. With only a hand full of planets this shouldnt be to difficult, assuming we aquire that art to the west to allow for range of all there planets.

bah had free time for this all week but have to hit work soon...

oh well expect turns in 24 to 36 hours... might be the last round of 20 turns but not until our fleet's weapon is decided.
Range 6 nuke engines and inertial stabs all hiding in our limited tree? We are blessed.

Pray for a viable missle and/or npg's.

Cheers!
-Liq

After about 3 attempts at same variant different map, i have managed to come out of it victorious.. The deciding factor seemed to have been x-velocity missiles and the fact that the other races lagged behind in engine techs helping to overtake there forces enroute to my planets.

I have run into a few possible snags in the settings that may come up later in the game..

When a race has no technology new to us and there planets are valuable for either there locations or enviro/resource or they are an ongoing aggressor is it ok to glass regardless of factory/population totals..

The variant states no diplomacy besides basic trade, when at war with more then one race is it ok to accept peace offers from the enemy?..

That seems to be about the only problem i ran into during my games..

Ohh and only planet left after the game ended that wasnt colonized.. Orion..

Ill tell you what... When your tech is this low, that spider ship thingy absolutely annihilated 100+ huge ship armadas.. Couldnt believe it!!!

ug work is brutal, just got home at uh almost 10 pm :sad:

let me eat something and stare blankly at the wall for a bit then I'll play these overdue turns.. sorry!

preturn: ok well I see The rocks are spreading like a virus, good good. the hot spots I see are the artifact in the NW near humans and the tundra rha in the NE that seems isolated maybe.. though those yellows might hold a homeworld. Looks like a vote will never be an issue nor will being friendly with anyone as we'll be getting "you have too many planets" spam soon enough.

In response I set up for 3x colony 2 ships to be built in 7 turns one at the rich in the ne and then 2 more at the core. need 2 for the artifact world since need to colonize the radiated rich to get in range.. both are a prize so no big deal. I set the remaining work on the rich to grow population since never is really a good time to set it on research ever. research is stressed wherever it can be.

[1]2361 ADnada

[2]2362 ADnada

[3]2363 AD vulcan the poor is colonized and I send 6 pop from volantis to seed it... ug well it's in the rear so safe to let that spud remain a laggard. Send a scout over to the northern red in the sw now that vulcan puts it at 6 parsecs distance. no whammy no whammy! how much you wanna bet it's nothing or orion?

[4]2364 AD xendalla is colonized (the green to the south of home) and I reaffirm that orion is the green star in center... I fed it another scout to make sure the guardian was appeased.
Vote came in and humans managed to gain 8 of 19 votes, we only had 4 which is to be expected. 13th plaent colonized though,

Propulsion is 5%!!!! 7 turns for 3x colonies sounds like I made a nice balance.

[5]2365 AD gion hits max factories(opps?), I spam eco to fill up the population, it's 32/35 so not a big deal.

[6]2366 AD one colony is built since Homes population was growing, but no range tech yet. That's fine as it can move toward the radiated rich. The red 6 pars from vulcan turns out to be a toxic 10 by the name of arietis. Absolutly no rush to colonize the back water planets... the population can best be sent elsewhere.

[7]2367 AD big turn. propulsion 6 comes in *happy* as well as 2x more colonys! only techs level 10 and lower are inertials and range 5, I place coins into inertial. sublight was there btw but that's out of our tech limit unless sg warrents since it speeds up population.

goin and romulus make max population yay!!! goin is full up pop and factories now.

contact with the birds is made and a minimal trade set up. they own one planet and are crammed in between the darloks and psilons.

psilons chased our scout off the empty system in the middle south of map with an armed colony ship, no big loss.
research is set 50% to weapons to see what's out there and 50% to planetology to nab +20.

send colony from rich to rha in the far ne...
the other two colonies are heading towards goin to make a dash for the artifct/rich. second place is just nabbing the radiated rich so win win.

The red planet in the far far sw is now in range so send a scout there to spy it out.

At least 2 more plaents are easily colonizable in the sw but those can wait, rather spend the effort on building infrastructure.

[8]2368 AD gatling laser only tech avil in weapons, meaning no hyper V rockets but npgs are still up for a shot. We need weapons sooner rather than later so keep 50% research into weapons.

[9]2369 AD 4 turns til colony hits artifact, lets see if we make it. staltz the rich hits max population yay!!! start on another colony since seems lots of room in the NE. (boggle!)

[10]2370 ADrha is colonized and I find the bullrathi homeworld.... rha places us in contact with the bulls and I set up a 35 bc trade, the lowest one. They own a mere 2 planets.

Good news is the purple star ne of rha holds 25 inferno rich planet and blocked the northward expansion of the bulls, I place staltz on a 4 turn colony and leave it building up factories with the rest. I strip dunatis of 28 population for rha + company. then set dunatis on 100% eco to grow the pop back.

[11]2371 AD omg spica is an 80 jungle planet, that's our swmost red and it's alllll ours. I'll let next person make those colonies as I concentrae on the NE.

[12]2372 ADDolz the radiated rich (size 30!) is colonized yay so I'll fill that planet to max+ from goin and volantis with over flow going to artifact. population will be finalized by the end of my turns so no stress.

[13]2373 AD wow the planet in the ne is a terran fertile 130 population... good thing rich just built a colony!!! 7 turns to reach and 3 turns on another colony from staltz to colonize that rich. I give the chance to colonize the terran at 40% to be honest. too close to too many planet hungrey races

oh and zoctan the artifact planet just got colonized - by us - lol.

[14]2374 AD snore

[15]2375 AD another vote is held this time 22 total votes with rocks having 6, humans had 6 votes as well and everyone else abstained. That's the last vote we'll need to worry about.

[16]2376 AD staltz makes another colony and I send it off to the rich in the NE, Since it's now max population and factories I'll have it pop out warships when weapons comes in. looks like the bulls have a colony sent to either the inferno or the terran. most likely the terran.

[17]2377 AD gatling lasers comes in and our last weapon techs are for all to see.
hyperX
Fusion bombs
ion cannon

all 3 are very useful but of them, hyper X first and foremost. and hyper X it is. rather ions and hyper than npgs alone and fusion bombs are a relief. The damage this group of maniacs can dole out with missles though borders on the comical.

popgun is a small with nuke engines, +1 manuver for the defense and the almighty laser!!!!! a whopping 12 BC, 0 more than the warp 1 popgun, what a deal!!! could fit shields one but the added cost of 4 bc isn;t warrented. er it's called a minnow because for some reason the game wouldn;t let me change the name... too tired to figure out why.

[18]2378 AD nada - honest.

[19]2379 ADok well we beat the bulls to the terran but that colony is due next turn. you know damned well the bull is gonna scare off our scout and it's just gonna send frothing bear population over. I'll have a few turns to build up a fleet of popguns to damage the bull pop a bit I guess.

[20]2380 ADScore!!!!!! the bullrathi colony ship was unarmed so it fled from our scout lololololol.

our 18th planet of primordius (inferno rich 25) was colonized as well for the final NE planet. Next turn 28 colonistds land at rha and can be shuttled off to both of the other planets in the NE. Staltz has been pumping out minnows at 17 a turn which are auto sent to rha.. they can make sure we hold onto the NE holdings.

The SW has 3 planets left to colonize those I skipped them my turn to focus on grabbing the NE and NW. The NW is ancorhed by the rich which is off to a roaring start. the NE is pinned by rha which is getting a stream of minnows from staltz. Home and a few other planets are max fac/pop try not to strip them, for now they are pumping the research.

planetology (+20!) is 14% and weapons is cooking along.. after hyperx we can leave the world of weapons for a good long while to focus on other areas. I had to see what the weapons tree held in store for us.

Work is just killing me with - oh god I stopped counting at 14 hours just today - so sorry no screens, just too tired. getting a screenshot is tons more complicated with dosbox than mere civ4+fraps. Please excuse any rambling I posted!

I will assume 20 turns next up to shore up our holdings and decide on a likely 'host'. If ten turns seems warrented then by all means stop at 10 though! looks like this game will be over before I get the game again to be honest.

runaway brains of osg11 got nothing on the runaway rocks of osg12!

Cheers!
-Liq'd

Attachments

• osg12 2380.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 85
I'll try to play today, and post either tonight or tomorrow morning.

sigh, I still cannot get a screen shot of dos box.. print screen isn;t working nor fraps, no idea!

anyway I failed to notice that the purple star NW of the humans is now only 7 parsecs away so it can be scouted... the chance of us colonizing it would require a long range colony or us stealing a range 7 so no biggie.

good chance it's an empty system anyway.

oh and it seems the artifact was only 6 parsecs away after colonizing one of the systems that had a ship inbound start of my turn. oh well we wanted the rich as much if not more than the artifact and no delay in setting up both.

Cheers!
-Liq

I've already sent a scout to the purple behind the Humans. Still puttering about on my first turn tweaking things and making plans.

the rocks are a very different race simply because it's like having a kid allergic to sugar alone in a candy store all night.

Yes look at all those lovely planets around ooo ahhh good luck getting the population to fill them! One thing I really appreciate though is that the ability to ignore pollution extends to when you want to force grow population... if sim tex hadn;t tested it, imagine having to clear all the pollution first!

Cheers!
-Liq

Here's the map:

2380: Rearranged some sliders, sent a scout to the purple behind the Humans, and shuffled some pop around. Dialed back the Planetology spending, reducing to 13% from 14 to open computers. I put 2 clicks into spies for all races, I want to peek at what they have to decide who our first target will be. Draconis and Cryslon set to build colony ships.

2381: IT+20 arrives, IT+30 only choice...it's level 14 so I close out Planetology tech. Only choice for comps is ECM1. I move some of the tech into Constr. and FF to get those going. Tech spending takes a hit as terraforming projects take up much of the empire's production.

2382: Shuffle production as Terraforming finishes on some worlds. Some back to tech, some to build factories for new max. Stalaz is back to making popguns.

2383: Spies penetrate the Human Empire.

Humans: No hostile techs, only range 4 available. Practically this means that Dunatis, Terran 115 is the only world that the Humans can land on of ours. I send a few more popguns there, and start building a base.

2384: ECM1 is found, RC3 is only choice (our last computer tech). We are really going to need to steal some battle computers.

Darlock spy penetration. They have Range 6, no hostile techs, and Fusion bombs. The Humans look like a more tempting target. Romulas is most vulnerable to Darlock attack--only 3 parsecs and Minimal. Since it's got max factories for its current pop, a defense base is started. Darlocks also have range to Cryslon and Draconis, but I don't expect them to attack when their only fuel base is Yarrow, and it doesn't have any bases yet.

2385: Spot a scary looking Human fleet near Dunatis. I push up spending on bases there.

Bulrathi: They have Range 5, Barren, but no weapons or engines. They cannot land on Primordius or Rha, so Lyae is the only worry. I reinforce it with most of the popguns from Rha.

I think that the Humans are our best bet for first target. Take them out before they make contact and diplomatic ties (Buls are allied with Brains). They also have BC2 and 3, which we need, and have just gotten Warp3 engines. We can also pick up Hand Lasers and Pellet Guns, which will come in handy against everyone else. We will need to wait for Hyper-X to come in to be able to start building an offensive fleet. Our popguns won't scratch their bases, but Hyper-X boats will do decent damage. Add in Ion Cannons or stolen pellet guns, and we should be able to handle their fleet as well.

2386: Colony ship finished, sent to Toxic Arietis. Cryslon will finish Colony ship for the final planet (Jungle in SW corner in 2 years). Spies penetrate both the Alkari and Psilons.

Alkari: They are lacking in comps and weapons, but those Battle Suits are a prime target. Too bad our spies can't steal that Tech Level 11 gem. Altair is 6 parsecs from our nearest colony, and they only have range 5. I go ahead and assign our spies to attempt to steal from them. That scanner would come in handy to see any agression coming our way.

Psilon: Typical brainiacs, although they don't have as much computer tech as I expected. They also have Hand Lasers + Duralloy + PDS, so ground assaults will be messy until we catch up a little.

Looking at all the races, I still think that Humans should be our first target. They are isolated, so we won't have other races trying to poach our new aquisitions. The rest of the races have a very limited selection of non-hostile planets of ours to target, which means they are just as likely to attack each other (esp. the Darlocks). The Humans are going to attack us no matter what, because they have no other options. They also have some nice tech for us to absorb, that will help with the rest of the races. BCs, IS, Sub-Lights, Hand Lasers and NPGs will all help us put together a better fleet.

My plan is to wait for the Hyper-X (2% now) and Duralloy - will push some of the weapon tech there after Hyper-X come in. Then start putting together a fleet of Hyper-X boats to take on the Humans. I really hope we can hit them before they get planetary shields. In the meantime, I am trying to get all of our colonies stood up, and build defenses at the habitable worlds along our borders.

2387: Next turn

2388: Colony ship built and sent to Jungle SW. Herculis founded. Pop sent from Vox and Volantis, can be redistributed to the new colonies when they are founded.

2389: next turn

2390: next turn

2391: Hyper-X arrive. Ion Cannons next. I debated on the Fusion bombs, but they aren't very effective until engines and weapons are upgraded to a point where they fit in a small, fast bomber. Ion cannons will help us take on the other fleets. Bulrathi don't like how big we've grown.

2392: Toxic Arietis founded. Will shuffle pop from Herculis when they arrive next turn.

2393: The purple star behind the Human Empire is a no planets system. Ouch! We draw the mineral depletion event, and it hits Stalaz. A radiated rich turns into a radiated poor.

2394: Spica (Jungle SW) founded. Pop sent from Herculis. Duralloy armor comes in, Construction research is now closed. Split budget between weapons, comps and force fields. Design two missile boats. Production of Guppies is begun at several places, and Cryslon works on Flounders (main function is to bring along the battle scanner, but also meant for finishing off any leftovers of enemy fleets after the missile barrage).

2395: FF2 comes in. FF3 is only choice--no PDS :wallbash: Minimal spending continued in FF, as there are many ways to steal/acquire FF3. RC3 is into %.

2396: RC3 comes in. Computer tech is now closed. Focus now on weapons. Bears have a fleet inbound to Primordius (or maybe Lyae, can't tell when they move so slow...) They'll meet over 100 Minnows and a missile base when they arrive.

2397: Never mind, the Bears are actually going to Rha. Fleet redirected. Factories are popping up all over the empire.

2398: Rha should have a base up in time, along with lots of Minnows.

2399: Battle! :ar15: Bulrathis vs. 128 Minnows and 1 missile base. We lost 19 Minnows, no survivors for the Bulrathi.

2400: Scout probes Human Phantos. 75 pop and 14 bases. Vote: We have 11 of 28 votes giving us over 1/3. The Humans and Psilons both call to express their reluctance to be assimilated.

Wrap-up: I took Dunatis off factories. This leaves 35 pop unemployed to use for ground assaults on the Humans. There is already a respectable fleet staged at Dunatis. Kailis is probably the best target--it's closest and has only 9 bases, but scouts will hit the other Human colonies next turn to probe their defenses.

The Bulrathi are down to a tiny fleet. However, attacking them is probably not wise. One snag is that they don't have any useful techs to acquire, then there's the ground fighting against Giant Bears. The three colonies of ours near Bulrathi space haven't matured yet, so they're not the best places to tap for vast amounts of troops. And if we did wrest one of their worlds from them, the Brains would undoubtedly jump in to try to take it for themselves. At this point, I don't think we can compete with the Brain fleet. I still favor taking the Humans out. We'll get a good amount of useful tech from it, and we don't have to worry about the other races jumping all over our new acquisitions.

Once we have a better fleet to back us up, I'd love to take one of the Bulrathi worlds...then let the Psilons take it from us...and then take it back from them before they get any bases built. If enough factories survive the various invasions, we could wind up acquiring some nice Brainiac tech without having to face their missile bases.

Force fields: I have a minimal investment in FF3 research. We could skip that and just pick it up from our Human campaign instead.

Once we have finished researching weapons, we'll have an interesting situation where we can focus 100% of our production on our war machine...no pollution to clean up, no research to do :eek:
I'd recommend setting up some of the larger, more hospitable worlds as troop centers. Put them on 100% eco spending, and shuttle troops off towards our front-line worlds. That way, we can co-ordinate our assaults from the closest planets, and have pop coming in to back-fill them for the next assault. That should be better than trying to coordinate with troop transports needing 10+ turns to arrive on target.

We are done with Colony ships now (unless we kill the Guardian), now it's time to turn :) into :scan:

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

I saved the game as both save3 and save4 and zipped them together. I thought the norm was save3, but I got save4 from Liq, so I give the next emperor his choice.

Attachments

• osg12_2400.zip
    23.1 KB · Views: 74
I picked 4 from the very first save in the case where rb - er osg11 was revived, which incidentally zed just posted to with the option of reviving. Liq is psychic that way!

As is, osg11a is save3 and osg12 is save4 I would imagine.

Nice turn report and turns olor. I was slamming my forehead over the keyboard trying to get a screen up.

As for the ideas behind what to do with all our BC, excellent ideas in having the core non hostiles be troop factories. total :wallbash: on stalaz rich going poor. At least its' time to shine already paid off in that it rushedand held the NE all by itself, and just in time! We still have a rich in the NE now so it's not all bad.

Love the new names for the ships... guppy and flounder :lol:

Agree on humans being the best target but also on the idea of baiting the brains to have access to easy factories. The old spud factory yo-yo where even that ultra rich can be the spud!!

Cheers!
-Liq

I usually alternate between Save 3 and Save 4 for SGs, and Save 1 and Save 2 for private games. Save 5 and 6 were being reserved for Imperia, but we haven't had any of those in a long time. (If someone wants to start one, though, I'm sure it could be arranged!)

We look to be in pretty good shape. The only problems I can foresee in the the near future is if we can get enough population to conquer a human world before they get too many gropo techs for us to do so with any efficiency. Our slow growth rate coupled with our complete lack of researched gropo techs our the main limiting factor this game.

Our goal should be to capture the first human world before they get personal deflectors. Right now we are just behind in the hand lasers tech, meaning they get a +5 bonus on us. If they get PDS they will get a +15 and we will be taking very heavy losses.

Another thing we might consider is trying to take out SOL early. We should achieve tech parity with 2 captured worlds if one of them is SOL, and then we can advance on other fronts simultaneously. Our only limiting factor is our slow growth of pop. If we ever get cloning it is game over.

StuporMan

I don;t really think ******ed pop growth is that much of an issue at this point in that it costs 20 BC per population forced if lizard or rock. The main area of the game where we rely on innate growth is mostly over as the planets that matter are on their feet industry wise.

Couple that with our lack of pollution upkeep and that research is simply going to get turned off. in a way, it's going to be difficult to find places to send all our population and not have dead turns for planets in the back.

Cheers!
-Liq

I did another peek at the Humans tech toward the end of my turn:

They have Warp 3 engines, and FF3. So it looks like PDS was not in their tree; or they skipped it. What worries me is that they might be working on Planetary shields right now. PS5 + FF3 would make our Hyper-X ships unable to scratch their bases. If they do get it, we need to hit them fast, and try to take a planet or two before they get the shield up. Even if we just take out all the bases before the shield is finished, it will allow our troops the chance to land (flying transports past 1 or 2 bases is doable. 10 bases is just too costly).

I like the ImpSpaceScanner that is now available. Death spores might come in handy too. We could use them to knock planets down to less than half their pop without destroying any factories. Some care will be needed to avoid accidentally taking out the entire population.

RP-wise: Our ground troops use weapons that incapacitate enemies so that they can later be assimilated. Unfortunately, assimilation is a slow process...just as slow as building new units from scratch. Bio-weapons can be seen as spreading a non-fatal, but incapacitating disease. Fewer enemies will have to strength to resist when the troops land.

Dath < On Deck
Zed
Stup
Liq
Olorin < Just Played
Str00ld3 << UP NOW

Well i couldnt have asked for a better run down to my turn, seems all is clear on the horizon.. Would have prefered the Humans didnt pick up the sub lights but we cant have everything fall our way.
Ive had a rough day with the daughter today so have printed out the maps and previous posts for examination in bed (some like to read a good book.. i plan my strategy for mass assimilation).. yep, the wife thinks im nuts..
Anyway, i have all of day tomorow and will start putting my plans to action after i finish of my bacon and eggs..

Top Bottom