OSG 12 - All Your Rocks are Belong to Us!

Anyway my idea replace our missle boats with a medium sized boat toting hard beams. Can fit a hard beam (and a 2 pack hyper X if you want) on a medium and still get shields 3 BC 3, interials, duralloy armor, and fusion engines with max maneuver. So lots of ways to tweak that design. A real missile
would be keen really.

Cheers!
-Liq

LOL over those turns, Liq. Good thing we're in a winning position anyway or that really would have been a facepalm turnset!

If we're going to make a beam ship, I'd rather make larges or huges. :) Mediums just don't have the staying power a beam ship needs.

Liquidated said:
wow 2 rock population left brains were killing 3 to 1

Actually, that's about right. I missed the brains having fusion rifles, so that put them at +10 right there, since we had +5 from armor to their +5 natural defense. Looks like they researched the exoskeleton while the troops were on the way (bad break), putting them at +20, which is about 3:1 odds. Sorry if I misled you into complacency on the ground attack!

However, I DID correctly warn you about that Darlok fleet... so let's see, where are those smileys....

:sheep::whipped: :spank:

:joke: :lol:

yeah my turn set was a hall of fame sort of thing. mistaking the bombers for the popguns, forgetting 20 bases were total garbage against bio weapons when backed with bloody hyper X... hehe classic stuff.

As was said though, the game 's hard part is well over. To be honest, our very unique dynamic of how we get tech and just how much of our economy is invested into making ships.... the damage I did was minimal at best.

I'm still laughing tho.. between absent minded tech trades and Liq having a planet bake sale... that poor :sheep: is taking a beating lol.

Anyway you have to look at the save to see the effect spud has taken. With mentar up for colonizable grabs as well, man total choas.

as for a beam weapon ship, I managed to steal auto repair, BC4 and hard beams from the bulls. If that doesn't form the core of a beam fleet....

Keep in mind that the darloks have zortium armor as well as fusion beams so a quick retaking of yarrow should gain us those techs. So hold back on new ships until we clean out the darloks.

The upgraded popgun alone though is a huge boost to our fleet.

Actually in retrospect... the bait and switch of yarrow with the darloks was a masterful move if it wasn;t pure coincidence. darloks have at most 35 population on the spore cluttered planet with max factories and we have ground parity. that means we'll clean out their techs pretty much 100%.

Cheers!
-Liq

I am picking up the save, I hopefully will have it done either today or tomorrow.

Stup

Turn Highlights.

When I looked at the save Yarrow had 3 current pop, with 35 on the way (next turn arrival) and no fleet in orbit. Hmm, lets see I think I will send 10 pop and our fleet to arrive next turn, and some more to arrive the turn after to increase its pop.

We capture Yarrow with 3 pop remaining, we get Range 9, Zortium, and Fusion Beam. Liq, your clever maneuver of giving Yarrow back to the Darloks to get their tech was brilliant! ;)

I make some redesigns, First is the NB 4.0 (Neutron Blasters, movement 4, BC 2), AMB 4.0 (AMB, movement 4, BC 4), and finally the FleetKilla (HUGE, AutoRepair, Scanner, Inertial, 5 Heavy Fusions, 21 Fusions, 10 Death Spores, Max shield, comp and movement). I disbanded guppies and flounders. As shields come online, planets are switched to the new designs, Cryslon is the only one building the Fleetkilla (One should be more than sufficient).

We manage to steal ECM IV and Shield IV from Psilons in quick succession, we frame Bulrathi for the latter (Psilons at war with Darloks already).

Alkari seek peace, we send their emissary home in pieces.

We get hit with the computer virus event, I barely survive the fit of laughter.

The vote comes, we can vote ourselves leader, but what fun would that be. We abstain yet again. Besides our new fleetkiller wants to play, and it looks like it will get to play with the new Darlok Huge design. I think I will keep building them just for that purpose and start another building at Lyae.

We Assimilate Aurora from Darloks and get Phasors, Psilons are pleased with that move.

Steal Gravitons from Bulrathi, blame it on Alkari. Stopped spying on all but Psilons (need those rifles).

As my turnset ends, we have a fleet and an Assimilation force due at Nazin next turn. We should probably take Altair next, before there is no Alkari left to assimilate (though they really have no tech we need, letting them get genocided by another race seems against the variant). We should have little problems taking it in an invasion since we have a major gropo advantage, and their pop is low due to unsuccessful attempts at Uxmai and Mentar.

At this point we are almost on cruise control, our limitation is only waiting on pop to regrow before we can invade again. Don't forget to use all that reserve we generate each turn, we had a massive buildup when I started that I converted into our current fleet (and pop for invasions).

StuporMan

Attachments

• OSG12_2480.zip
    11.8 KB · Views: 64
We get hit with the computer virus event, I barely survive the fit of laughter.

:rotfl:

And the obligatory filler sentence to get the post up to the correct character count.

We capture Yarrow with 3 pop remaining, we get Range 9, Zortium, and Fusion Beam. Liq, your clever maneuver of giving Yarrow back to the Darloks to get their tech was brilliant!;)

Yes *cough* I um *coughsnorthack* planned it that *chortle* way .... fromthebeginning.:D

Liq's Drunken Boxing Style Moo Mastery I think...

The one positive move I made btw last turn other than my MASTERFUL ploy of bait and switching Yarrow....:rolleyes:....Was that I changed spying on the Psilons from hide to steal tech. Two free computer techs! Steal on darloks as well after I scored a blow up bases option.

Btw I think the Darloks stole phasors from the psilons since they didn;t have them when I ended my turns I do not think.... Nice catch tho.

oh and YUM. can fit a fusion beam on a tiny now as stup already had the model in the design window. Also is neat to see a bulrathi troop ship on it's way to a darlok owned spud. A done game for sure, LiqBrand (tm) turnsets notwithstanding.

Cheers!
-Liq

Liq,

Yes the Darlok's must have stolen Phasors, but the turn before I captured Aurora, everybody had them. Psilons must have traded/gifted them to the Birds and/or Bulls, making it trivial for Darloks to steal. So interesting diplomacy going on there. It was also fun watching the Ultra Poor spud change hands almost every turn.

Yes, I noticed fusions would fit on a small (with engines but no comp), but I didn't make the design because our current fleet is more than sufficient, and it was over halfway through my turns. If our next leader wants them, he should be able to generate a fleet of them in a single turn if he wants to.

StuporMan

I've got the save. I'm not sure how soon I will get it back, I'm attending a conference this week, though I gave my talk today, so my evenings will be reasonably free now. Then there's the plane flight from SF to LA on Friday.

I'll try to have my turn posted by late Friday night, but it might end up a little later depending.

I actually agree with not making a fusion beam tiny right now stup, just in my book, that's the straw that broke the camels back in my book. Once one can fit a fusion on a tiny (and a bc 2 is just another tech away literally) if the game isn;t over already, it is then, provided you have a few planets to pump out popguns.

Just no amount of shielding can realistically hold out against 1k fusion popguns.

Cheers!
-Liq

Personally, I prefer megabolt smalls to fusion beam smalls, but there you go. ;)

All this talk of fleets of small popguns has got me thinking. Maybe we should assimilate Orion, just for good measure in terms of the variant. A few thousand nb 4.0 should be sufficient and we will likely have at least that many just hanging around before we can finish off the rest of the planets. Besides it is the only thing remotely close to challenging remaining in this game.

In other words, bonus points for assimilating Orion and its technology. :D

StuporMan

Edit: I forgot we only have BC2 on NB 4.0, so we will need quite a few (thousands) to kill the guardian. I still think it is a worthwhile goal for this variant (maybe scrap the npgs and add a new fusion popgun or higher comp NB)? Up to each leader if they want to go for it or not.

Pre-turn: I look around and see that we have twice as many planets as are left to conquer. I also note that all remaining planets are in range and scouted.

2480: I decide that it is time for an All Out Onslaught of Doom (AOOoD). :borg:
I start sending half the population from all our backline worlds, coordinated to hit their targets in 7 turns. First turn sees the launch of about 600 million troops. More will join the all-out onslaught of doom when their travel times dictate.

2481: Nazin has 21 bases, which fall, along with 34 pop to a stack of 700+ AMBs. I really need to split this fleet to avoid accidental genocides.

Our 157 troops easily defeat their 66 remaining pop but discover nothing from the 367 factories. The Darlocks have improved eco, but then again, we don't need it.

I send out more troops to join the onslaught, and scrap our obsolete missile ships in favor of the Piranha: manuever 4, graviton beam and comp level 4. I'd prefer a better computer to cope with the Guardian's computer tech, but it's the best we have. Unfortunately, the hard beams wouldn't fit on a tiny as I'd prefer 8-12 damage against shield 5 over 1-15 damage against shield 9. We'll need a lot of these if we want to take Orion.

I change all ship building to Piranhas. I also split the fleet into three offensive groups to go around and take out missile bases, and leave a good portion to defend Nazin.

2482: Altair is readied for the troops ships. The Darlocks congratulate us. I will send some ships to safeguard Altair, since we have yet to assimilate this race, and I don't want them destroyed before we have the chance.

2483: More troops! :borg: Unfortunately, the spud at Uxmai has been glassed by one of the AIs. I had planned to have that be the only planet to be spared the AOOoD. That would leave a chance to hit Orion before taking Uxmai. Instead, I stop sending troops to Ursa (only 27 currently en route), which will leave that as the sole planet to survive the Onslaught. Lest any of ye have any doubts, know this: More than 1.3 billion brave Rock soldiers are now sailing among the stars to bring ultimate enlightenment to the rest of the galaxy. There can be no stopping this landslide.

2484: More paths are cleared for our troop drop ships. T minus 3 turns. :borg:

2485: I managed to get all four races to congratulate me for attacking everyone at once. T minus 2. :borg:

2486: We have control over the orbit of every planet. T minus 1. :borg:

2487: Culmination of the All Out Onslaught of Doom. We win in a landslide.

I redirect all ships in range to Uxmai to greet the last Bulrathi ships, and to regroup for an attack on Orion. Any ships 3 turns out head straight for Orion.

2488: Destroy Bulrathi Fleet at Uxmai.

2489: Launch fleet to Orion.

2490: The Guardian proves to be too fearsome a foe.

VS.

Our piranhas can only hit for 400-500 damage per turn, and the NB's only 50 or so. Not enough to overcome the auto-repair. The Guardian on Hard requires a bit more tech than we had for the Piranhas. If we could get a Hard Beam on a Tiny it would probably do the trick, although it would really be nice to get a better computer as well.

In the meantime, Ursa recieved a couple hundred million elite Silicoid soldiers. The Bears were easily convinced that resistance is futile.

Long Live Emperor Mauna Loa!

I've uploaded the save from just before the AOOoD if anyone wants to watch it, or try to put together a better Orion killing fleet using the new tech we capture.

Attachments

• AOOoD.zip
    12 KB · Views: 65
brilliant logistics there olorin and creative use of cut and paste.

I really must admit that this game had the most alien feel of any moo I've heard of. The dynamic of devoting one's entire industry to the war effort gave a highly unique "throwaway" feel to our ships... Each race we hit spawned an entirely new fleet.

Obviously the map fell right into our hands as the birds in particular never got off their home planet, leaving us with half the galaxy. Also the complete lack of any sort of basic missle techs across the board was stunning and was a big reason we won so easily.

Last and maybe foremost, the humans researching antimater bombs just as we wiped them out was critical. Without that extra ommph no way would we have been able to push past those shields.

Imo this entire scheme could be repeated and prolly play out a completely different way.

Anyway if there's an osg13, someone else roll up the map lol.

Cheers!
-Liq

Last and maybe foremost, the humans researching antimater bombs just as we wiped them out was critical. Without that extra ommph no way would we have been able to push past those shields.

Fusion bombs were out there, the Darloks had them at least. I'm sure we could have coped without that Derelict giving the Humans anti-matter bombs, though t certainly would have taken longer to win.

Imo this entire scheme could be repeated and prolly play out a completely different way.

While that's true of any MOO game due to the amount of impact the random maps have on how the game plays out, it's extra-true for some variants, including this one. :)

I'm up for an osg13 btw but let the holidays pass! lol If people want more moo punishment how about we meet back here Jan time frame? That way all need be done is keep subscription to this thread to see when people are free to commit some genocide.

Amazing game people, Liq should be ashamed!

Cheers!
-Liq

I would be interested in another OSG after the holidays as well. This one was fun, although once we started taking Human worlds, it was pretty much a done deal given our awesome expansion draw and the lack of any decent missile tech for the AIs.

I'm all for another rocks adventure tho not right next. I'd like to revisit another 2 AI race game like we did in osg11.

For once though how about we play the brains lol.

Cheers!
-Liq

Top Bottom