OSG 17a--Alkari alley

Sorry guys my game computer is having problems. I hope to get it fixed midweek but can't see the save so unlikely to add anything useful.

The ISP is an always hit--if we're using larges better to have multiple designs of the identical ship to get much more dmg.

Good luck holding out!

So we have 3 turns to find a way to deal with the incoming fleet of 2 dreadstars and 300+ mediums. The only chance I see is to overload their targeting capabilitiy, so 2 beam stacks, 4 isp stacks + bases is the way to go. I disband the scanner and design a fast ISP-hardend medium with ARS, IS and 2 fusion beams along with 2 new ISP designs. In fact, i postpone the "rugged beam" for of a placeholder ATM.

I pump up espionage on the Humans - maybe we get lucky for a change ...

The psilons gained orbit over Toranor, albait only slightly so (only 3 star blades survived). Still, it might trigger them to send troops.

No new techs, the 4 ISP stacks are in place, now on to the beamers (with repulsors or a good missle, life would be much simpler ...).

Paranar is also under attack. Same ETA as the 2nd wave for Tau Cygni, which means that we need a 2nd set of ISPs or lose the bases of one planet. We'll need some reserve money to pull that off, so I set Cygni to provide some.

Showtime! I attack the battleships first while softening up the ca. 300 corvettes and the dreadstars. We destroy the whole fleet while losing one ISP and some mediums.

In other News, Psilon captured Toranor.

Next year, we will have to deal with 2 simultanious invasions. I split the fleet, produce and reloc 4 new ISPs and 5 mediums, using reserve spending and leaving waste.

Victory! Both fleets are mostly destroyed - no losses! The Humans are down to Psilon level in the fleet chart. Our heroic fleet:

Obviously, this fleet is more or less a single purpose tool. While it did its job well, most of the designs should be scrapped soon.
Not knowing that ISPs are always hit, ISP 5.0 to ISP 5.2 are suboptimal as they pack unnecessary battle computers. The biggest drawback of the hf-beam is that they lack hit&run capability - not necessary for giving an ISP-softend target the final shot, but invaluable for regular space combat, esp. if you are faster than your enemies. The f-beam features an ARS - unless unless your are going against ISPs.

The real problem is that our construction tech royaly sucks and that we miss some crucial stuff like decent armor, bombs or repulsor beam.

I scrap the ISP 5.0 for a huge rockstar design with ISP, ARS, heavy fusion beams and class vi shields to withstand the Silicoid scatter packs. It's meant mostly as a placeholder to give the next emperor something to work with.

The Klackons have been genocided by the Psilons.

Battle suits pop, armored ex. next
The 60 mio. human invasion force has been destroyed.

And here comes the vote (us vs. Humans, 21 total):

6 Humans for themselves
4 Silicoids for Humans
4 Psilons for us
7 Alkaris abstain

I note that the Psilons have so far not settled Kholdan nor do I see and inbound fleets. Also, I see no dreadstars anywhere within scanner range.

Wow, what a ride. This was probably the most difficult turnset I've played so far, esp. I as have basically no experience with ISP as I virtually never use them (something that will certainly change ...).

We are now about ready to go into the offensive and the Coids have more or less volunteered to be our first victim - and they are also the only ones we can cope with ATM, anyway. Kailis would be a nice prize and we need those AM bombs. The cheapest way to do it would probably be two single purpose large shield6 designs, one ISP and one fusion bomber - along with a big defense fleet.

Toranor is a spud and Kholdan is unsettled and not too heavily guarded (11 larges), so their might still be some use for the current fleet.

Since I switched turns with Olorin, the Roster now is:

Olorin <-- UP NOW
ignatius <-- just played
ungy <-- on deck
Archduke

Good luck emperor Olorin!

cu

ignatius

Good job and I mean it. The game is certainly fun, with every emperor so far antipating certain doom.:D

Olorin, it is Monday, just check in please, so that we know you are back, thanks.

Olorin has yet to check in, Ungy, how you take it up and Olorin plays after you if he shows up. Get the save and check the situation if Olorin doesn&#180;t post in 3-4 hours, go ahead and play, I would say.

Remember that ungy has computer problems. But if he has fixed those, I also agree that we continue. We can insert Olorin into the roaster whenever he checks in, so that he can play as soon as he comes back, if that is OK with you.

ignatius

Seems so, and as we both just played, I'd rather wait for either ungy or Olodin to show up - tres faciunt collegium.

ignatius

Hi guys.

I was able to check on the progress a little bit while I was away, but I still need to catch up on the last couple of rounds. I'm going to be busy tonight, but I should be able to play my turn Tuesday night.

Looks like exciting times while I was away.

--Olorin

Good, and good luck.

We are still alive, but as stated, every emperor had his stressy moments. I hope yours are on the offensive.

Olorin <-- UP NOW
ignatius <-- just played
ungy <-- on deck
Archduke

Okay, here goes.

I change the design for the ARS Huge to include 15 fusion bombs for dealing with the Silicoid bases. We have two planets working on placeholders, but they have 8 turns to go, so I switch one to reserves to speed the construction of the ship at Cygni.

We get a low level tech steal from the Rocks and pick up ECM3.

We get an all-fields steal from the Humans, I pick computers again and get RC3.

I bomb the Humans off Toranor after they restart. Human fleet is sent to Uxmai. I send our fleet there, and the first Huge will get RELOC'd there same turn. Uxmai pumps out bases in the meantime.

Humans are also coming to Cygni now. I split the fleet to meet them both at once. Time to knock the Human fleet strength down a notch.

After thrashing the Human fleets (although their large repulsors did get away) they sue for peace and I accept. Now on to the Silicoids.

Time to send our new ARS Huge to Kailis.

We take orbit over Kailis at the cost of one large and a few mediums. The Fusion bombs on the Huge did not take out bases very fast, but the ISP wore them down.

We lose another large and some mediums repelling Silicoid Huges from Kailis orbit. Troops due next turn.

90 troops take out 35 Rocks with 47 survivors. We get tech: Bio Toxin Antidote. Personal Absorption Field. Zortrium Armor.

We got a pretty nice tech draw from Kailis. We now have parity with the Rocks on the ground. The Psilons and Silicoids both have fleets coming to Kailis. I've got our fleet there to protect it, hopefully we can hold it long enough to get a shield and bases up. It's Rich, so it shouldn't be too long.

Post turn: We should consider building some new designs with Zortrium armor. Another key is to get a better missile. Our bases cannot scratch the top-line Human designs with FF 11. You may want to wait until we face the two fleets coming to Kailis before choosing which design to scrap, as the decision might just be made for us.

Here's the save.

Attachments

• SAVE4.2510.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 79
Very nice set Olorin--it's nice to be on offense.

I'll post a few thoughts tomorrow AM and play tomorrow night--got the machine working again.

OK a quick survey of our situation as I see it:

big problem as Olorin pointed out--we can't hit a top line human ship with our bases. So if at all possible try and acquire better missiles.

We can take out rocks, however, of their 4 planets the only one we can land on is cryslon.

Unfortunately none of the techs we are currently researching are too much help. Advanced eco probably the most useful as it might raise our overall production around 10%. Weapons obviously very important as we might have a missile in our next round--although that is a long time coming.

Will try and trade with psi.

altair is coming under attack--build some more bases there

Will try and take cryslon but leave the other rock planets. There are already enough glassed planets for the humans and psi to squabble over.

Ship design--that is a tough one. I think I'll build placeholders for a few turns and see what develops and get Kailis up and running.

I'll play tonight.

Nice turnset Olorin, finally some new territory! :)

Some comments, nevertheless:

I change the design for the ARS Huge to include 15 fusion bombs for dealing with the Silicoid bases.

The ISP should have been enought to deal with the bases - 15 fusion bombs would not make a difference here and (vs. the Coid's shields) are comparable to the beams in firepower anyway as the latter don't run out of ammo. But, the beams would have allowed the huge to act as a defense ship as its use as bomber will be probably be over either way, after we have taken Cryslon.

We get a low level tech steal from the Rocks and pick up ECM3.
We get an all-fields steal from the Humans, I pick computers again and get RC3.

Ouch! While strategic spying is usually a wise and long-term option, here you really should have gone for weapons in both cases (if available with the rocks). There are excellent chances to get stingers form the Humans, as it's their lowest unknown weapon tech. And we need those AM bombs from the rocks and it's not sure we get them from Cryslon.

cu

ignatius

I confess that I had not taken the time to check out the enemy tech situation before I got the penetrations, so I didn't know which field to choose. If I remember correctly though, weapons were not on the menu for the low-level Silicoid steal.

As to the ship design, I didn't scrap the heavy fusion beams, I only replace the 2 fusion beams with bombs. The ship still works as a defense platform, with the ISP backed up by beams. The bombs did help against the Silicoid bases. While the Heavy Fusions were also doing damage, the bombs do more for the space they take up (and the fusion beams wouldn't have done anything to the planet).

Our best bet for a new design may be to just upgrade the ARS Huge to Zortrium armor, and swap the bombs for more heavy beams (as bombs are worthless vs. Humans and Psilons). It would also be a good defense ship to hold our planets until we upgrade our missiles to be able to damage the high shield designs out there. I wouldn't recommend any light beams (other than one to allow movement after firing), as the major need we have is something to counter FF 11 ships. Our missile bases make stacks of smalls or mediums disappear pretty quickly due to the scatter packs.

One last note, if you get Kailis stood up and attack Chryslon, bring massive numbers of troops. The Silicoids still have a ground advantage over us (unless we pop armored exo) + defense bonus. Expect to lose 2 to 1 on the ground. Bombing may be called for, but try to keep the factory count over 300 to have good odds of 5 techs. You might also want to up the espionage against the Rocks to try to at least grab some of their low-level techs to increase our odds of getting AM bombs from invasion.

As it is the only rich planet, I think we should press everything we have into standing up Kailis btw.

This could mean that apart from Altair which is being attacked, the other planets should put their production into reserve.

I don't think we have to go that all-out to stand up Kailis. I think that our fleet will be sufficient to repel the attacks that are incoming, and since Kailis is rich and already has a lot of factories, maxxing it out won't take more than a few turns. A couple more turns for a shield, and a few of base building, and we'll be done. No real need for losing 1/2 production by channeling through reserves. We'd be better off using that production for research or building some ships (which can be sent to defend any planet) instead.

The biggest boost to Kailis would be to send in some more pop, as the troops that survived are not enough to man all the current factories.

OK here we go:
2510 send 20 pop from Uxmai and Cygni to Kailis.
Altair-bases.
Paranar builds a placeholder.
Dial up psi--they offer sheild 7 for BTA--I take it. Could have had rw60.

2512 psi attack kailis coaona class s7 att4 isp, is, 2mb cannon 1 grav
dark star class s7 12 grav beam att 5 ars, is,
starfighter small att 1 1 grav, is.
we lose a few destoyers and get almost all the psi fleet.
crystal life form coming at warp speed. I've forgotten what this is.
But it's in the far corner.

2513 Kailis will build a sheild this turn.
Psi attack altair the huge star fury is sh11 but fortunately cannot hit our bases. 50 MB cannon, is, ars, wd. Trouble if we don't have a base.
Humans steal BC2

2514 I send troops to cryslon (4 turns). Since I want to get it up and running quick I'll land almost the full 300. Psi trade RW80 for sh6--is this exploitive? I'm guessing it isn't as it will up their sheild tech so I do it.
Hum and psi are fighting nicely over toranar--but psi fleet is no match for humans. Humans trade us stingers for advanced scanner, ars, scatter7, or zort--I choose adv scanner. I also trade class v sh for IT8.

2515 We clear cryslon--sili send 42 pop away to new colony.. We have overkill with 285 en route.
space crystal looks like it's coming to Cryslon.

2516 285 troops land on Cryslon vs 120 sili. We have parity (- defensive bonus). 127 remain so I guess it wasn't overkill after all. We get IT7, range 6,range 7, auto blaster,hyper v rockets, ecm 1. That's a pretty weak haul. Psi fleet is inbound 3 turns--we need to get bases up which we will.
Space crystal looks like its heading to Herculis now.

2517 our planets are back almost to capacity.
2519 plague in mentar over.
2520 sili fleet destroys space crystal--we run off psi fleet at cryslon.
set Kailis to huge.

NOTE:paranar has mostly completed the ISP huge I was using as a placeholder.

Thus ends the reign of emperor ungy--the archduke will lead us on to victory.

Top Bottom