OSG 11 -- UnderKittens Story

pellet guns are in the works now btw, if we can fit a pellt onto a lr, it'll be tons better than a laser pop.

oh and the psilons saw no value in our tech... well we wanted a rough game, here goes... brains have at least range 6 meaning they are in 3rd generation engine tech... Knowing how to AI plays, safe to assume they are 3rd generation in all techs.

Cheers!
-Liq

Well put it this way, what's the worst that can happen?

A repeat of osg9? :lol:

I agree, this game looks interesting and the general premise looks replayable. Next time I'll just have someone use raceed.exe tho to force the races.:coffee:

Cheers!
-Liqd

Only one comment -- please please put a bit of extra emphasis to Planetology. We do NOT want to wind up in final war with these guys. (At least not until we are more ready than we are now.) For that we need big planets with lots of pop, so T+20, Enhanced Eco, Soil, Atmos, and so forth will be very cool to have.

And yes, we will probably want to lay some buggy smackdown as soon as feasible.

I'm going camping this weekend; if my turn comes up by Friday morning, I should be able to play; if not, Monday is my next available date.

dathon

No word from Yuri yet, so he might not have got the save yet. You might want to consider playing now, and if he still hasn't replied by friday morning, you can post your results and let him start from your save rather than the current one. (Assuming he doesn't need to be skipped entirely.)

Sounds good to me; save grabbed, should have results up later this afternoon.

After opening the save file, everything looks pretty good under initial inspection. I briefly considered building some LR lasers for Centauri, but even landing +20 and Nuke engines will not be enough to build an LR Dead ship, and our chances of holding the world against a Militaristic race right next door seemed like a pipe dream, so I held off. That also means that Galos might be in danger, but I decided to leave it unattended for now. In fact, except for one popgun which I accidentally built, I went defenseless for my entire turn. Can't run farmer's gambits like you could in Civ 3, but I deemed our position secure enough for now to take the risk. Zed was dead on in his suggestion of more planetology tech, and I shifted research around to get +20 quicker.

Hope this doesn't offend anybody, but my turns were very quiet, so I went ahead and played 20. Spent most of it sitting building factories and terraforming. On the research front, we had the following breakthroughs, and my choices:

Class II --> Personal Deflectors or Class III We'll get a better shield for our missle bases next rung, and going on offense is not likely for awhile.
IT20 --> Enhanced Eco or Controlled Inferno. Tough choice, but I ultimately decided that the one 30-size planet in our space wasn't worth the cost of all that burned clean-up BC. If we don't manage to land Toxic, we may want to come back for this.
NPG's --> Scatter V's or Neutron Blasters. Easy choice; Scatter's make for great bases, are half the cost of the blaster's, and there are 3 beams in the next rung.
RCIII --> Improved Scanner or BCIV. I really like having the scanners on hand to eliminate sneak attacks.
Nuke Engines --> Sublight's or Stabilizers Ouch, no range tech! :shake: I went with the Stabilizer's for trade value; we might have to buy a range tech, and I don't like sublight's all that much anyway; not much of an upgrade on Nukes at this stage in the game.

On the homefront, Fierias, Yarrow, Rana, and Stalaz are maxed in pop and factories, with a base up on the first three. Volantis and Helos are set to terraform, should be done in three turns, though Helos might miss by a couple BC. Those Klackon fighters are headed for the empty blue. We did manage to land a spy in 2388; here's the report from then, and one at the end of my turns.

The Klackon alliance is new, and slightly troublesome. The RC IV is also new, and VERY troublesome :eek:. Note that the brains have had the means to colonize Centauri for some time, and would no doubt do so if we sent a colony, as the AI in this game is wont to do. With Class V planetary, blasters, fusion bombs, and big planets, the bugs are looking like an even more appealing target. BTW, both of us are at 8 planets, but they are still ahead in population. Next leader might consider building some LR laser's for Galos, but I wouldn't build much more than that right now. The bugs are out of range, and the Psilons are up to amiable and honorable. We need to tech as fast as possible here.

OSG11 2400 Save

I think that I'll give Yuri another day to check in. If we haven't heard from him by the end of Friday, we'll do a skip and I'll take my turn.

Nice work on the tech front. The only thing I would have done differently would be to get Warp 3 since IS doesn't advance the tree. Although it looks like the Psilons are missing IS in their tree, so we might be able to get a decent tech out of them for it.

This game is shaping up to be very tough. Runaway Psilons, and our only hope to make up ground in tech is to take it from Klackons. The only good thing I see is that the Psilons are still packing nuclear missiles at their bases. If they actually end up with no missiles in their tree, we might stand a chance.

We don't need for the Psilons to be quite *that* strapped for missles to be able to win the game. ;) Remember that while the Psilons are good at acquiring a tech advantage, they are no better than any other AI at using one. If we can get up past the middle portion of the tech tree, to the point where it starts getting easy to burn down worlds regardless of how much defenses they have built up, then we can win regardless of what the Psilons have. The interesting part will be to see if we can survive that long.

Psilons having fusion bombs is troubling, very troubling. It will take us a long time to negate that much firepower. Planetary bases with scatterpacks ought to be deterrent enough for medium sized Psilon fleets, but if they decide to commit a large force or draft small sized glassmakers ...

On the plus side, they are honorable, so they are not as likely to make the first attack. That will buy us some time to get some decent weapons. We may consider the tech theif gambit, where we send mass pop to take over a Psilon border world gaining techs and leaving it undefended (with very little pop as we are sure to take MASSIVE casualties). This serves a twofold purpose. One, we can nab quite a few techs to bring us closer to tech parity (fastest way possible, and really our only option to catch up tech wise), and will leave a spud world for the other AI to fight over. Granted, we will pay for this with the lives of several hundred million cats and set back our economy along with the fact that we may not succeed in taking the planet and will be at war with a Militaristic opponent with a still large tech lead. But if we can keep them focused on the newly created spud we have a good shot at coming out ahead if we can take the planet.

Actually, now that I think about it, do we know what the Klacks have. They are a much softer target and we WILL be able to capture a world from them much more easily. Perhaps we can double dip by taking a Klack border world, then using captured tech turn around and take a Psilon border world. Hmm, yes I like that much better. More tech, easier Psilon world capture, and two spud worlds to cause more chaos. I like that better indeed.

StuporMan

how is centarui not colonized? makes no sense.

As for sublight, transports double in speed over nuke engines. Not a huge issue right now seeing as our populations seem happy where they are.

Cheers!
-Liq

how is centarui not colonized? makes no sense.

I've seen this before in the AI. I'm not at all sure what is causing it, but occasionally, I have seen the AI ignore a hostile planet they could settle with a scout over it. Might be in how Honorable (and maybe Pacifistic) is coded? Every time I've seen this, though, the minute a colony ship starts heading for that planet, it WILL be colonized. It's like the AI can see that the colony ship is incoming (I think the AI can see ship movements at all times without scanners, based solely on personal observation, but I could be wrong), and that "wakes them up" to the planet and they found it. With their large fleet, I didn't think the resources were worth the very low probability of success.

dathon

Still no word from Yuri, so I'm declaring a skip.

Here's my report:

Pre-turn: Planets either maxed and researching, or working on factories. Since Antares is growing pop, I send 20 to Denubis to fill it faster, and then 15 to Volantis. This puts Antares back into good natural growth, and I start building factories (plenty of tech rolling in)

I push some defensive spending at our Terrans and Stalaz. We're playing a farmer's gambit here without a fleet, which I agree with in this situation, but I like to put up bases to offset the lack of ships.

Only 9 space needed to get a dead colony onto a LR ship (19 with nuclear engines). Once construction comes in, I'll make one to sent to Galos, and we can introduce ourselves to the Klackons.

2400-2404: Next turn.
2405: PDS comes in, Planetary Shields or Fields 3
2407: RW60% comes in, Auto Repair or IIT6. Psilons hit 12 systems, and Pirates strike Rayden. Must be Klack world.

Designed LR Dead and build one at Rana for Galos, 2T to build.

2408: 30 colonists from Antares sent towards Rana in prep for filling Galos.
2409: Colony ship finished. Scatters come in, Gatlings, Fusion Bombs, Ion Cannons, Neutron Blaster, Graviton Beam, Hard Beam, Fusion Beam. It came down to one of the three beams that advance the tree or Fusion bombs. I went for Hard Beams because they are more useful against highly shielded ships (Psilons), and we need a better engine before we can really put a fusion bomber in the air anyway.
2410: Psilons are at 13 worlds, we are en route to #9. Our pop is not too far behind thanks to all our Terrans.

Planetology and Propulsion are about to come in.

Fieras is up to 4 bases, the other two Terrans have 2. Stalaz is working on its second.

There are 30 colonists headed for Rana from Antares. They will arrive 1 turn after Galos is founded. Please remember to send 30 from Rana to Galos to make room (you can probably get away with sending 31 or 32 since 1 or 2 will grow on Rana during the switch).

I didn't make a LR Dead for Centauri. I decided to leave that to the next emperor. If you think we can beat the Psilons there and hold it, go for it. One gamble would be to send the ship to the toxic midway there, then try to quickly get our colony set up, and get a NAP with the Psilons. With a full load of colonists, and some reserve pumping, we could get it set up really fast if the Psilons agree to and abide by a NAP.

You might also want to look into upping our trade agreement or trading some tech. We've got a few decent toys they skipped over, and they might be willing to give us a range tech in exchange.

Olorin <<just played
Zed <<up now
Stup <<on deck
Liq
Yuri
dathon

Love live Zed :king:

Another turn, and I still didn't get to found a colony :mad:

We're cooking up the tech pretty well. Toxic was not an option, does that mean we are guaranteed Radiated? (I seem to remember reading something to the effect that every race is forced to have at least one of the two in their tree). We should be meeting the Klacks when we claim Galos, so we'll find out what the rest of the competition looks like. This is shaping up to be an interesting game.

make a grab for centauri for sure. The old grab and nat trick would do us good. I didn;t think we'd get a LR dead that fast... good job.

As for fusion, as you mentioned there's no need for them now. That they are there to run over later on is good as they will be pre minied. At full size, they just aren't worth the effort.

make sure we grab code of laws next and build a courthouse for centarui, the distance maintenance is gonna kill us...:dubious:

I seriously think what zed said will hold true. If we can survive past 8th or 9th generation techs, we'll be able to glass the game np. Better a run away brain then a runwaway bug in terms of diplo.

We must must must get a longer range though and a better bomb choice than fusion for a runaway tech brain.

Did you forget the save olorin?:)

Cheers!
-Liq

Indeed I did :rolleyes:

Here it is.

Attachments

• osg11_2410.zip
    11.2 KB · Views: 79
Planetary shields is a boon to our chances of survival. Them + scatterpacks will mean that we can likely hold out against the psilons for at least a while longer should they decide to start a war. If we can get +10 so much the better (we might can even survive mass fusion bombers from the Psilons). By the way, trading Psilons for bombs or range may not be a bad idea. RC or gropo would probably be better, but races tend to be a bit stingy with those.

StuporMan

Ok, I have the game... may not be able to play it tonight tho, we'll see.

Top Bottom