1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Over the Reich - Creation Thread

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by JPetroski, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

I found a very small copy and paste error in the civilopedia of the 'Egon Mayer' unit. If it should be necessairy to reopen the new download somewhere in the future, may be this 'itsy bitsy' error can be fixed, too:

Attached Files:

2. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

I updated the news on the front page of the Wiki. Let me know if you think it should say something different.

3. Prof. Garfield

I'll keep a list of known issues that will have to be fixed. We'll update either when we get a big issue that has to be fixed, or once a lot of small issues have been compiled.

List:
    Germans get the 'Baltic City' city capture message if they capture a city in England. Events fix.
    Egon Mayer civlopedia entry typo. See post 861, page 44. Text fix. "Graf"
    Adolf Galland civlopedia entry typo. See post 864, page 44. Text fix. "Jagdlieger"
    Arado234 civlopedia entry typo. See post 864, page 44. Text fix. "frieght"
    B17-F civlopedia entry typo. See post 864, page 44. Text fix. "qualties"
    B17-G civlopedia entry typo. See post 864, page 44. Text fix. "qualties"
    P51-D civlopedia entry typo. See post 864, page 44. Text fix. "practicla"
    Experten civlopedia description needed. See post 864, page 44.
    Light shells either needs civlopedia entry or to be removed, if no longer in game. See post 864, page 44.
    Medium shells either needs civlopedia entry or to be removed, if no longer in game. See post 864, page 44.
    Wolf Pack entry in civlopedia should mention that torpedos cost 5MP. Should also remove reference to cost depending on military ports, since not in game anymore.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  4. Civinator

I found the following other very minor errors in the units civilopedia:

Even more important could be the missing descriptions in the civilopedia for the units:

- Experten
    - Light Shells and
    - Medium Shells

Also the question for the unit Wolfpack arises: How many torpedoes can this unit fire in a turn ?

All in all (compared to my Civ 3 mods) a very good work in the units civilopedia! :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

5. Prof. Garfield

@Civinator
    Wolf packs fire torpedoes at a cost of 5 movement points (no payload restriction), so 2 per turn.

6. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Hmm. Could have sworn I had experten in there. I dont think light shells and medium shells are still in the game, but I'd have to check...

7. Prof. Garfield

Looks like we forgot to make the targets all veteran at the start of the game. This line of code in the console can fix it,

for unit in civ.iterateUnits() do if unit.type.move == 0 then unit.veteran = true end end

Or, I can add the line to turn 1 after production when I change the 'baltic message' for the Germans, if you prefer.

This omission doesn't break the game, it just means that the first couple bombs that fall on a target are crucial. A 500lb vet should be dropped first, to take advantage of the initial lower defence. We could leave it in as a design choice, or maybe randomly promote a couple targets each turn (as industries learn how to minimize bomb impact).

Edit: Medium shells are still fired by gun batteries.

8. Civinator

Here are the screenshots showing the missing unit entries in the civilopedia and it could be a good idea to add the information that Wolfpacks fire torpedoes at a cost of 5 movement points (no payload restriction), so 2 per turn.

Attached Files:

9. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Would you please do the after production fix as that would help anyone already playing the game.

It looks like I'll have a bit of time in a few moments, so I can fix the other stuff. I'm going to hold off on updating it again until I have your events.

10. Prof. Garfield

Here are the fixed events.

The message shown when an English city was taken was not the 'Baltic Invasion' message, but just the regular message that the Germans can win if they hold all the ports in Western Europe. I've made it so that the message is only shown when cities on Continent 10 are captured. I also altered the conditions on a couple other city capture events (including DDay started) so that they also only fire when a city is captured on continent 10. I also added Nantes to the list of DDayPorts (the ports that the Allies must hold to resupply), which I found out completely by accident that I had omitted so long ago. The DDay message also doesn't fire if an airfield is captured/destroyed.

The make targets veteran code was also added, so the update should correct the situation.

11. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

All of these are now fixed. I'll be uploading the fix in about 3 minutes.

List:
    Germans get the 'Baltic City' city capture message if they capture a city in England. Events fix.
    Egon Mayer civlopedia entry typo. See post 861, page 44. Text fix. "Graf"
    Adolf Galland civlopedia entry typo. See post 864, page 44. Text fix. "Jagdlieger"
    Arado234 civlopedia entry typo. See post 864, page 44. Text fix. "frieght"
    B17-F civlopedia entry typo. See post 864, page 44. Text fix. "qualties"
    B17-G civlopedia entry typo. See post 864, page 44. Text fix. "qualties"
    P51-D civlopedia entry typo. See post 864, page 44. Text fix. "practicla"
    Experten civlopedia description needed. See post 864, page 44.
    Light shells either needs civlopedia entry or to be removed, if no longer in game. See post 864, page 44.
    Medium shells either needs civlopedia entry or to be removed, if no longer in game. See post 864, page 44.
    Wolf Pack entry in civlopedia should mention that torpedos cost 5MP. Should also remove reference to cost depending on military ports, since not in game anymore.

12. Prof. Garfield

Don't. It looks like the changes from Feb 3 got forgotten (at least the change to 30 points for killing urban). I'm looking for comparison software right now to put those changes back in.

13. Prof. Garfield

@JPetroski
    I've used comparison software to merge back in the changes that were made on Feb 3 (which had important changes). This event file is the correct one. I will delete the other events I put up since release from my posts, since they are all missing the Feb 3 changes.

I briefly tested the functionality added for Feb 3, so I'm pretty sure everything is working properly.

Attached Files:

14. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Prof. Garfield likes this.
  15. Prof. Garfield

I had a thought about having a different 'version' of OTR.

What if we let players play a single bombing mission. Using events, each player can create, say, 5000 shields worth of units, and then the Allies get to make an attack. All other units are eliminated, and all production is set to 0 every turn, so no new stuff is created. Perhaps the players are allocated a number of technologies to 'research' (which varies by game), and in addition to allowing more advanced units, more technologies would represent a later period in the war, so targets near England are eliminated.

This would be something that could be played over a few days, rather than committing to a months long full game. People could get their feet wet and test tactics in an environment with much lower stakes, and without worrying about other components of the game.

I'm not sure how you would 'score' this, or declare which side 'wins', but maybe it doesn't need that.

What do you think? With an event update and a separate scenario file (like the Single Player version), it could even be 'part' of the regular scenario.

16. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Now that the scenario is "done," I wouldn't be opposed to doing any or all of the following:

1944 start
    Schweinfurt Raid
    Big Week

I could lay out the map / edit the starting positions fairly easily. What I'd need from you is pretty simple (I think):

-A delineated area where I could have specific text for the different version.

-An event which changes the starting points for both sides (for 1944 version).

-A counter event for Schweinfurt and Big Week. Schweinfurt would be "you get so many points per critical target and lose so many points per lost bomber." I'd have to think on Big Week a bit.

-Your idea for eliminating production for Schweinfurt and Bigweek.

Schweinfurt could simply be a 10 turn version and Big Week could be maybe 30? But without anything to do aside from using the limited forces at your disposal, it wouldn't be too bad.

17. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

So you're not really done. That is good news!

18. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

The scenario is done and now we may have spinoffs ;)

19. Prof. Garfield

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

20. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I think we should use over200.schweinfurtTextAliases or something like that