Overcoming Ignorance - Immortal Gilgamesh

has anybody beaten this yet?

Spoiler :
i think that i might break down, take Windsor's advice, and replay from an earlier save. it makes sense. i didn't get to trade any techs until much later. anyways, here's that earlier start if somebody wants it. note that the resource bubbles are in the wrong locations.
incidentally, my dotmap matches my future city placement.

Attachments

• Ignorant Gilgamesh BC-1520nice.CivBeyondSwordSave
    99 KB · Views: 35
Spoiler :

very easy map

My tech patch was : hunting->(poterry from hut)->mining->BW->archery->AH
->writing->fishing->aesthetics-> ... -> optics and astronomy as free tech from lib -> ... -> democracy -> beeline to internet -> techs needed for spaceship

whipped all buildings in my cities every 10 turns, true monty style xD

some screens :

I really need your help now. Something stupid happened and I don't know what to do. So once more I turn for your help to ask:

What should I do?
Spoiler :
Alright, as I had said in the last post, I did get Astronomy with Liberalism.

Then I beelined Military Tradition, while I gained the circumnavigation bonus. My plan was to take advantage of Mehmed's lack of Iron and stomp him with Cuirassiers. I got the control of the AP so no stop the war vs. Mehmed resolutions would bother me.

I had three whipping rounds and moved my troops to the Ottoman border. I even incited a revolt in Ankara and sent my spies to Istanbul, hoping to quickly cut down Mehmed's production.

The problem is that the warning hadn't come up yet that Mehmed had just signed a defensive pact with Suryavarman. I can't take them both at once. Sury already has cannons and Mehmed is now beelining Rifles.

As you see, I have to do some expanding if I want to remain in business. What should I do now? Declare war anyway and hope Sury has already shipped his troops to Native America (SB was his worst enemy when he went WHEOOHRN)? Wait for the actual declaration? That could give Mehmed time to get Rifling... Declare war and try to pass a resolution to make peace with Sury?

Please, I don't really know what to do. If I had known I wouldn't declare war so soon, I wouldn't have stacked the whip unhapiness in my cities. My wise advisors, what should I do?

BTW, I failed the Taj Mahal and the Moai Statues and it helped me a lot. I also did some wonder failing in Fred's IU. Thanks LuCiver. :goodjob:

Attachments

• Ignorant Gilgamesh AD-1330.CivBeyondSwordSave
    279.5 KB · Views: 54
Looks like a tough break. Peaceweight doesn't help either so bribing Mehmed into Free Religion (gift Liberalism) will probably not work.

Two options...
1) wait until Sury DoWs someone... you might have Cavalry by then but Mehmed might have Rifles.
2) DoW, take a few cities - cease fire/vassal Mehmed and take on Sury next. you have more power than Sury so it should be doable I think. 34 Cuirassiers is a nice stack and with a few spies here and there you should get a good amount of work done.

I'd just storm right in. If it looks bad, take a ceasefire. Alternatively, can you declare on one of the morons to the south and bribe Mehmed against them? That'll break the DP.

edit: never mind the second option, he hasn't met them yet :lol:

How could I have been playing for so long and not know this! Arrgh! :mad:

So Easter island, the epics, and Oxford could all potentially give you double the :gold: you would get from building wealth, assuming you have the requisite resource. Don't think it is worth it with Oxford or the NE, but i might try this with Maoi and HE from now on.

I went ahead and declared war on them both and it has been a very succesful war. That leads us to our next question:

Should I let him kiss my ring?

Spoiler :
My main problem during the war vs the Ottomans was a lack of EPs to revolt his cities, but I have been learning that before the enemy has Riflemen, spies only help you with the hammer cost, but are not really necessary (the same goes for Cataphracts). Mehmed himself didn't put up a decent fight, there was one stack with some 20 troops that was slaughtered when parked just outside one of my cities.

However, the moron decided to bend over and become Suryavarman's vassal over the course of the war, which prevented us from vassalizing him. I proposed an end war against Suryavarman resolution, but they both voted no so we're still at war. This makes me wonder: I'm about to hit Sury's capital, he's already totally passive and is already willing to capitulate. On the other hand, I think that, since I've already come this far, I have to at least capture his capital with Kremlin and the Jewish shrine. I guess he also has the Spiral Minaret, but I'm not sure. Taking him as a vassal would be good because of the extra teching power, but that would be good only on the short term and would make it more difficult to pound the other AIs into submission later (average power). I'm leaning towards just capturing everything, but I'd like to hear your opinion.

This is the land we captured, Sury's land, plus techs and demographics. The units on the first picture are the troops garrisoning Yasodharapura.

The next steps would be to attack either De Gaulle or Shaka, then turn on the other and win Domination.

The game is pretty much won. Would you like to see me play it through or should I post a new map already?

Attachments

• Ignorant Gilgamesh AD-1505.CivBeyondSwordSave
    327.1 KB · Views: 41
I vote new map. I never have it in me to finish a won game :D

...then again, if you have 2 spare hours and don't quite feel like starting a new one, by all means.

Swap some garrison to free up Cuirassiers in the captured cities and finish Sury. - he doesn't have that many techs worth trading that you can't get elsewhere. Plus you'll get GLH as a bonus.

I don't think you even need to get Cavalry, his back looks broken.

Any VC is easy from here, Space probably the fastest although Diplomation is faster date-wise.

2 ?'s IT:

1.) What patch are you playing?

People, I'm in the middle of what seems to be the final round. I declared war on the two southern morons and things are going great. Domination is about to come. In case anyone wants to see how things are going, the save is here. A proper update will come tomorrow.

Attachments

• Ignorant Gilgamesh AD-1745.CivBeyondSwordSave
    399.3 KB · Views: 46
860AD-1939AD Space win:
Spoiler :

So, I started the set by meeting Cyrus and proved the world was round. I considered democracy and rifling as a liberalism-freebie, but I ended up with this

Rifling and cavalry would have ended the game earlier, but I'm so tired of always going that route. I decided to give a half-hearted shot at a peaceful space, but since Sury was a potential culture-threat I decided to attack Mehmed with tanks even though I only had sea-oil. But before the wars I finished a few wonders:

Kremlin and pentagon just because I could.

Declared on Mehmed 1822AD, capped at 1832AD. Built this which was a decent wonder/project:

Then I declared on Sury 1852AD and capped him 1860AD. Then I peacefully built the spaceship (and the elevator but not labs!). Finished apollo 1880, and 1939 victory was mine(I hate BTS-space where you don't win the moment you launch):

Cyrus actually had most space ship parts when I reached AC. Demographics:

Statistics:

More stats:

Score, certainly not a record, not that I ever care about game score :

Attachments

• Windsor-Ignorant Gilgamesh AD-1939.CivBeyondSwordSave
    461.3 KB · Views: 29
Top Bottom