1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Oz (!)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Ozymandias, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Jorsalfare

Jorsalfare Prince

What a pleasant surprise on a cold winter day to see our chief archivist pop in. I'll certainly follow your "Forgotten World"-thread to see what you're up to - maybe I even can contribute in some small way. Best wishes, Ozymandias!
    Regards Sigurd.

Kyriakos likes this.
  2. Ozymandias

Ozymandias I saw the Great Library burn.

I have concerns about security issues, thinking about keeping earlier versions of Java, but I can always boot up an old Windows 7 machine, and keep Java 8 on that. Beyond that, which do you think is best -
    1. I think I still have all the original CDs, so, a possibility.
    2. Civ 3 Complete, for easy installation.
    3. GOG (which I'm not familiar with, bust certainly trust your judgement)
    4. Steam (which I already have for Euoropa Universalis 4)
    Do all support the No Raze Patch and - Antal1987 exe? And - how long it's been! - what is Antal1987's exe?

-Oz
    Do all options work with the No-CD, No Raze Patch and Antal1987 exe

3. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

In that order. Steam I only use for the one game (DotA). For Civ I use Civ3 Complete (3-CD edition).

I don't think I have Antal's No-Raze patch so I cannot do any testing.

4. Ozymandias

Ah, Me Bucko, gracias! - I'll go that route. Although it's been so long I've forgotten - don't I need to apply a patch somewhere along the way?

5. Takhisis

For No-raze, sure. But I suppose that you mean the 1.22 patch. Some versions (e.g. Civ3 Complete) already have Conquests v 1.22. With others, it depends.

6. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Ozy, most CD versions of Civ 3 Complete (or Civ 3 Vanilla, PTW and C3C) use SafeDisc and SecuROM programs as a means of copy protection. Microsoft supported this in older versions of Windows through the secdrv.sys driver. However, it was found that these two programs posed potential security threats. Beginning with Windows 10, the secdrv service can not be run or installed on a system so any older games that use these programs will no longer work. Additionally, with the September 2015 Windows Security Update KB3086255, the service has also been disabled on older Windows OSs (Vista, 7, 8, 8.1), causing these games to no longer run on these systems either. This text and more details are in the CFC thread, you can find here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ-3-windows-update-kb3086255-safedisc.552308/

This said, there are some CD versions of Civ 3 Complete that don´t have that copy protection (Civilization Chronicles Compilation and a German Green Pepper version). If you were able to install Civ 3 Complete from your CD, you can try the Firaxis No-CD patch (the link to it can be found in the post with the first link of this post) or the Antal1987 patches. The No-CD patch was done by Firaxis themselves and the link to it was for many years on the home page at CFC.

If you are still able to install and run Civ 3 Complete with your CD version, you need neither the GOG nor the Steam Version of this game.

You only need the GOG or Steam version of Civ 3 Complete, if you are not able to install and run Civ 3 Complete with Win 10 (or a manipulated Win 7 or 8, disabling the Windows Security Update KB3086255, what I´m not suggesting). Both versions need no CD and therefore don´t run into the problems with the no longer supported secdrv.sys driver in Windows. In that case the GOG version in my eyes is preferable to the Steam version as it is DRM free and doesn´t hold that lousy bug in the labels text file. I did install my GOG version of Civ 3 Complete in the old way, not using their Galaxy or Galaxy 2 software to assure, that they are not able to do automatic updates of Civ 3 Complete that can play havoc with your installed Civ 3 Complete (as it was done in the Steam version of Civ 3 Complete, when over night Steam created a big mess in the texts for all installed scenarios and mods).

You can start and play the GOG version with the No Raze or the Antal1987 exe, as both of them are based on the No CD patch done by Firaxis. I don´t have the Steam version of Civ 3 Complete (what is no wonder, when seeing the mess Steam created for all existing mods and scenarios).

In my mod CCM2 the Antal1987 exe 4 works without any problems. It is the work of a pure genius :thumbsup:, as Antal1987 achieved some fixes of C3C, that Firaxis was not able to achieve. The original thread can be found here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/useful-patches-for-civ-3-conquests-v1-22.526285/

a) Fix of the Scientific Golden Age
    b) Fix of the civilopedia graphics
    c) Cities now can be founded next to each other, allowing to build channels in C3C maps.
    d) The exe allows the direct starting of C3C, both epic game and scenarios.

Alone the fix of the civilopedia graphics in my eyes makes the use of this patched exe very interesting. No more magenta beams in the civilopedia.

Spoiler :

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  7. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

I oughta note that I have a Windows 8 system, and installed Civ Complete to my desktop, with little more than hitting the "compatability" button.

8. Civinator

Oz, only in the case that you cannot install your CD version of Civ 3 Complete: This weekend there is a sale of Civ 3 Complete at GOG for € 1,39.

Spoiler :

Attached Files:

9. Ozymandias

TY again. Rather than go through my dusty, original 3 CDs (+patchwork) I'm definitely going to with Complete.

Addendum: I recall having to patch the - Conquests? - .ini for something about Barbarians ... ?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  10. Takhisis

Do you mean the fact that while you were off sick people actually found a way to break the game and make it accept barbarians owning cities?

11. Civinator

12. Civinator

13. Ozymandias

14. Ares de Borg

Ares de Borg Norman Knight

15. Ozymandias

'Tis good to be back :thumbsup:

16. wolf_66

wolf_66 Lone Civer

Hi Oz,
    I just spotted this thread now.
    I'm VERY happy to see you back. All the best for your health and all your future plans!

Kyriakos likes this.
  17. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

It was delightful reading through this thread tonight, and seeing your posts and presence. Indeed, many of the old crew are still here, even if not as frequently as in years past.

One question I've had recently that's pertinent to you, is, what are your long-term plans for your Civ archive? As best I can tell, along with the CFC database itself, your archive is the best in the world, and there are items in it that are not in the CFC database, whether due to the Great Hack of 2008, broken links to external sites, etc.

I somewhat expect you've thought about this - I recall reading at one point that you were able to recover parts (all?) of it from a backup copy in a vault in New York - but am curious what your plans are. Traditionally, the bandwidth from the archive to the community has been limited by the turnaround from the Re-Uploads thread to when you were able to upload it, as the Great Library's master of the scrolls. That worked pretty well in the years after the Great Hack, but when I think about the likelihood of still-working external links breaking in the future years, and even the question of whether CFC will make it to the 2050 histographic date, it looks like there may be a use for the archive well into the future, provided there's still a community around the game for the 3rd Decade Awards, 4th Decade Awards, etc.

(I've also been reading a book, The Map of Knowledge, about the transmission of knowledge between antiquity and the Renaissance, which has me appreciating more just how many generations of monks and scholars had to copy and translate works for them to survive for 2000 years. We may not be working with Euclid's Elements, but I'd like to think that with the easy of reproduction in the digital form, we could keep things going for at least a few generations)

I'd be happy to assist in ensuring the archive's long-term survival, whether in the form of helping create additional copies of the archive, or otherwise.

18. nick0515

nick0515 Fantasy World Builder

Though I've now spoken with you elsewhere, and very late to the party, but I just want to officially join the chorus of those who are very glad to see you back, Oz!