P3-02 - Hostile Takeover Inc.

I had a very quick look at the save. Very few things to comment, main thing is that I think it's better to found the "missing town" on the island 1 SW from where the sign is (1SE of the fish). Darius' border popped already and where the sign is a future city may suffer a bit from cultural pressure. Moreover it could get at the fish without need for a border pop and if need be get irrigation up north.

Will send mining executives to our productive cities. Do we want to send them abroad as well and if yes, to whom first?

AL after medicine sounds good to me, but will probably just play the 10 turns to when medicine is in. Hope to play this evening CET.

DO NOT give mining + sushi to AI's they are too powerful to spread foreignly.

Spread mining + sushi to all our cities only, focus on the big ones first.

It is extremely important we relieve Roosevelt of all his funds before declaring war, otherwise he will magically upgrade everything to infantry... We will likely need two wars, but we should definitely strike immediately and knock out as many cities as we can to stop him from fielding an infantry army of a reasonable size (bad)... to showcase the power of corporations I believe we should turn off science after infantry + artillery + antitanks, as there really is nothing that combination can't beat in reasonable numbers... however tankspam is fun too...

Once again, take all of Roosey's money to stop his upgrades, and smash what we can... if we need another war that is okay.

Wow, so I get all the fun eh?

Will the young, aspiring Zulu draftees fall before the superior guns of the Americans or will they charge forward under clouds of cannon smoke and breach the defenses of San Francisco and New York? Only time will tell. (approx. 24h of time that is)

----

I agree on not spreading our pride and joy to other nations. Well, we could maybe give them to Japan or something :p

I must admit I didn't even think of upgrading, but getting all that cash seemed a good idea to me anyway. :) So please lighten his coffers!

I think best order of trade would be to first trade with Darius medicine for physics+145. Then medicine to Roosy for Demo+all cash and whatever else he may throw in. Next turn we may be able to get artillery from Mansa as I suspect he must have it as it doesn't show in the items he can research, while it does for Darius and Roosy and the 3 of them seem to be more or less in tech parity.

About spreading corps, I thought possibly we could spread it to the backward (toku) or the small (Darius) as they'd maybe not profit as much. But keeping it to ourselves is fine too.

Lurker comment:

Nice game so far. What's your plan for the 3rd corp? Why do you go for AL instead of physics trade and artillery?

I thought of Zulus as early warmongers but now I see that Ikhandas are great for corporation games.

And the founding of a new town:

Not on the sign for the reasons given in my previous post, hope you don't mind.

Yours is a much better choise :). I didn't thought about the irrigation.

Can't wait to see Roosevelt going down in flames!

What's your plan for the 3rd corp? Why do you go for AL instead of physics trade and artillery?
I think in the end we won't found a 3rd corp, as the rest of them will conflict with either Mining Inc or Sushi.

On AL vs artillery, I have some hope we can get artillery in trade from Mansa. OTOH if we can't, maybe it's indeed worth considering teching artillery as the increased siege fire power is more important than fielding infantry, I think, especially as Roosy will get infantry out himself. Anyway, both techs are firsts on our to-get list.

Maybe if we invest this first turn in artillery (after trading for physics) Mansa is more willing to part with it. He of course trades easily, but don't know if he'd give it away if he has the monopoly on it. If he has it in the first place of course, but I think he does. :)

Summary:
War is well underway and progress has been made, though we encountered some setbacks as well. We shouldn't need a second war to finish off FDR though (well, at least get him to just Tokyo left on the other continent). I also had some brain farts which resulted in not nabbing artillery.

Economy is pretty well hampered by unhappiness. A swap to Emancipation may be in order, though I didn't want to take a turn off of war production during my set.

The seeds of corporate expansion have been planted!

Turn-by-Turn

IT (1700 AD)
Made the two trades spotted by Nocho.

Then

And do we have Uranium?

Cut back science a bit in anticipation of losing trade routes and the need for immediate expenditures and corporation spread costs--it does take some funding to set up a new office as our corporations demand to be housed in only the tallest of office buildings.

Newest branch office also gets a new name.

Stacks are assembled to take out both San Francisco and New York on the second turn of war. New York stack is the main attack, with hopefully enough firepower to take Washington while the San Francisco stack comes back around on the rails to Philadelphia. It looks like a couple of FDR's units will get kicked around a bit upon DoW, but we should be safe from any immediate counterattacks and the rail network will let us reinforce where needed.

I upgrade some axes to have a few CR rifles. In retrospect this was a mistake, as we shall see...

On a somewhat related note, I also forget to change research to artillery!

Turn 1 (1705 AD)
A fitting and timely publication... Perhaps we will compare the power graph a set or two later, eh?

FDR is back at 600-some gold and the only way to get it would be to trade railroad which does not strike the board as a profitable investment. FDR has a few frigates sailing around, so we may have to rebuild some nets and i try to get the galleons towards safe harbors.

Mansa will NOT trade artillery. If I had kept more of FDR's cash and/or put 1 turn of research into it, I could probably have picked it up and it would have been better to upgrade cannons to artillery than axes to rifles. Doh.

So, is it time for some action? FDR still just has rifles, cavalry, and grenadiers and all he did last turn on the continent was move a few troops to cover some workers. Well, very first SG war here we go! :hammer:

For New York, for we really need to capture New York if we are to run a proper corporate empire!

And for San Francisco, as payback for all those years you've been stealing our dyes!

Unfortunately some units near Riverside got kicked onto the hill by San Francisco, so our stack is forced to take the low road. Fortunately it is a well-mixed stack and there aren't even any grenadiers in striking range.

Research is now set to artillery and Mansa still lacks Medicine.

Turn 2 (1710 AD)
A trickle of American units head into Zulu territory near San Francisco. Are they actually trying to counter-attack or do they just want to travel south and reinforce the main cities?

Mansa now has Medicine--eek! I guess we will have to push through this with rifles & cannon for the time being. In other foreign news, there has been a major revolution in Japan and now Darius and ourselves are the only groups not in Emancipation. That unhappiness is 4-5 in most cities.

And indeed FDR is now sporting several infantry and is back down to 0 gold in his reserve.

Those odds are not very good, but I fear that if we wait longer we will just face more infantry, so here goes...

Just enough troops and San Francisco is ours! This "stack" will definitely need reinforcing before going any further. It took 4 cannons and 5 rifles to take out 3 infantry after zeroing city defenses, yikes! :crazyeye:

Hopefully things will fare better in New York... And the RNG is kinder here, where it takes only 2 cannon to destroy 3 infantry plus change (including a just-born great general in NYC - ha).

In the cleanup effort we get a GG of our own in a fitting location and he immediately takes over a floor of the local office tower to direct military training programs. New York also comes with VERSAILLE, which is very nice.

Turn 3 (1715 AD)
Darius adopts emancipation as well, so we are the only ones not on that boat. Mansa has just finished researching Fascism as a GG is born there.

FDR assembles a formidable counter-stack. It only has 1 infantry though, so I decide to fortify in New York.

I never would have expected to win a battle with this unit... but the cavalry was down to just a couple strength, so here we go!

Turn 4 (1720 AD)
The American stack actually heads towards Group HO, where our second stack is being re-assembled. His troops are wiped out at the cost of three cannon, and we get a second GG who is attached to the chariot as a medic. We have also unlocked West Point.

The Americans are now also fielding artillery, so I'm glad he sent his stack in to attack this turn! As much as the Civ4 AI is improved, it still makes some silly decisions.

Turn 5 (1725 AD)
FDR has now added SAM infantry to his forces arrayed against us. However, he continues to simply shuffle troops around between cities and does not gather them to hit our stack advancing towards his capitol.

Turn 6 (1730 AD)
Stacks approach both Washington and Philadelphia... The executives anxiously chat by the coffee machine as they discuss final details to the assault. War weariness combined with the emancipation penalty is distracting the populace from more productive pursuits and outdated police units are rearranged to better compensate.

Also traded some coal to Louis for 2 sushi resources, corn, and gpt. May want to cancel it later, but several of our cities have been poisoned and the health is from corn is preventing population loss. He also urges us to cease trade with Mansa, so at some point we may have to take a side there. For now we have enough to worry about on our own continent.

Turn 7 (1735 AD)
It seems that I spoke too soon... FDR did mount a small counterattack against the Washignton-bound stack. Luckily our rifles are bored so precisely that even when facing enemies armed with shoulder-launched missiles, we fare decently. I fear though that we will not be able to take Washington this turn with such wounded troops.

But first, at the cost of just 2 cannons...

Hastily constructed airships open the attack on Washington, which has only a couple infantry defenders. We kill 5 defenders at the cost of 4 cannon and 2 rifles. Those remaining are heavily wounded, but I fear the attack on Washington may become a seige until reinforcements arrive from the other stack.

And the steady advance of the Zulu navy strikes fear into the Americans hearts as they flee to the opposite end of the continent to ply the waters off Volcanic Office.

Turn 8 (1740 AD)
Washington is reinforcing his capitol, draining troops from outlying cities. There are 5 infantry which will reach the city next turn. Our forces take advantage fo the weakened defenses for now though, wiping out 5 defenders again with the loss of only 1 cannon (at 88%).

And we make use of the desert forts...

Turn 9 (1745 AD)
The infantry near Washington desert after seeing the carnage wrought there last turn! Wounded by Zulu airships they retreat south to Atlanta :lol: And FDR's ships seem more intent on bombarding the Western peninsula branch offices than on destroying nets--we have only lost 1 so far.

The seige of Washington continues, with our initial "sacrificial" cannon actually winning at 13%, with 5.5 health left over too! 5 seems to be the magic number, as we again kill 5 defenders with only 1 cannon casualty. Reinforcements have now arrived and unless FDR has a lot of infantry up his sleeve the city will fall next turn.

Turn 10 (1750 AD)
Yikes! The bank in iverside is destroyed by corporate infiltrators! We will have to revise our human resources policies and security clearance checks. Rebuild it immediately!

A brilliant mind has also risen through the ranks from lab technician to offer his services as a great scientist to our nation. Seeing as we are at the brink of rapid corporate expansion, he is brought to Riverside to wait.

Ah, yes--the seige has gone on long enough, hasn't it Roosevelt. Didn't you get the memo? You were supposed to have FIVE defenders, not FOUR! I guess a leader who can't even count deserves to be eliminated.

And the prize?

Spoiler :

I see that WvO finally has Assembly Line, and pull this trade. We could have had him declare on FDR with us, but that only opens the door to some sort of vassalizing silliness.

We are also now the score leader!

With Washington in our hands, it's time to turn this over to Loki to finish things in style. Everything has been moved this turn.

Closing Thoughts

We have pretty much hit (or exceeded) happiness limits. The only place that I have draffted in the past few turns was Volcanic, as the Globe is now due in 2 and we are working coast tiles. We should have enough troops to finish FDR, but any reinforcements will have to be built with the help of Mining Inc. We may need some more cannons as attacking infantry isn't pretty.

We have a small stack in the suburbs of Chicago, which SHOULD hopefully be enough to take the city with some air support. I'm torn on simple keeping the city or razing and resettling to pick up the crabs. With Sushi and Mining new cities get running very quickly, so I'd probably lean that way.

The main stack is in or outside of Washington, with the syringe-and-turnicate-toting-chariot. Group HO has been a rally point and there are a few troops hanging around there too. We can probably pretty much head straight to Atlanta. I've put up a few signs marking some locations. Basically Washington is done for, as nothing has come West from his other three cities for a couple turns now. He may still have had troops in Tokyo, so perhaps a couple of the airships should be redirected to keep watch over the seas, but maybe that's just paranoia.

After finishing gratuitious railroading and even more desert forts, the workers are actually doing more productive things now like railroading to the front and cottaging over farms at Riverside now that it has Sushi.

Speaking of our corporate expansions, Sushi is now in a few cities even though war production often took precedence. Things were pretty dicey around Washington for a while, but now we should be able to devote more resources to spreading our powerful supporters.

Roster
PaulusIII
Meiz
nocho - Railroad & Desert Fort Crazy
Pindrus - Just Played
Loki Strikes - Finish Him!
Ralph Jackson

Attachments

• CEO Shaka AD-1750.CivBeyondSwordSave
    384 KB · Views: 61
Lurker comment:
Well done! More sushi for Zulu executives!

I think you do not need more infantry right now. May I suggest spamming factories?

Nice slugfest, Pindrus! It's a bit of a grind, but FDR shouldn't survive too long anymore.

I think we should adopt emancipation in a not too distant future. And who will be next target? Mansa? I never like AIs running away in tech too much. :) After the current war we should start building a proper navy for whoever will be next victim.

I actually didn't keep very close tabs on it during the war, but in Paulus's set Mansa was going cultural. I doubt he will be very close within the next couple turnsets, so it may be much easier to just wait until we can pick up more advanced troops (if we go that route) to run him over.

I was sort of thinking Darius because he is nearly as advanced as Mansa but with a much smaller empire that will give us a foothold on the larger continent. We could build the FP on the main continent to prevent spiraling maintenance in future wars, or even move the palace over with Versailles in New York. I would vassalize the two cities of his on our island colony to keep maintenance costs down and have a tech trade buddy who is helped out by some shiny corporations :D

Though really Mansa is the main threat so maybe we should just take him out first and be done with it. Marines would be a big help as we could run between coastal cities quickly capturing many of them. After FDR is finished we could send our blimps out to scout the status of troops in foreign lands.

And yes Mucex, I agree that most cities can move on to infrastructure/exec's. A few should still probably produce some cannons (or maybe just Naval Ops?).

Nice warring Pindrus! :D. I do agree on starting our invasion against Darius to get a solid fooground on the island. Mansa should go down easily after that with more advanced troops.

FDR down....

Slogging war, due to lack of theatres/colliseums/jails in our city I turned research to 0 and culture to 60...

During set I built theatres/colliseums/jails/factories/coal plants, we should spam these and execs to all our cities...

Razed Chicago as discussed, resettled later, partisans annoying

Boston had Colossus and a military academy

Roosey eliminated with this city

WvO demanded Steel, gave in

Really not much to discuss about my set... finished him off as fast as I could, little bit of unit buildup, we need to industrialize and spread our corps... get theatres/colisseums etc. up

Attachments

• CEO Shaka AD-1806.CivBeyondSwordSave
    404.2 KB · Views: 73
Next player gets the relief of pressing enter and getting rid of all that unhappiness :D. We should revolt to Emancipation, but why don't we switch to Vassalage as well? And do we agree on taking out Darius next?

Ralph is up!

I'd say we pick an easy target to get a foothold on the other continent. Which is anyone but Mansa... yet Darius has only 5 cities, so I think he's the one to go first.

Great to see FDR down! And just in time, WW and emancipation unhappiness really is/was hurting. Agree with emancipation.

On attacking Darius, that may not be a good idea as he has a defensive pact with Mansa!! So war with Darius means war with Mansa. If we want to avoid that for the moment, I'd pick another victim. Louis springs to mind. Nice lands, backward (no rifles, nor steel) and next to Mansa for the final assault on our biggest competitor.

And what do we want to do with the 2 GSs hanging around? 2 electricity part bulbs?

On attacking Darius, that may not be a good idea as he has a defensive pact with Mansa!! So war with Darius means war with Mansa. If we want to avoid that for the moment, I'd pick another victim. Louis springs to mind. Nice lands, backward (no rifles, nor steel) and next to Mansa for the final assault on our biggest competitor.

And what do we want to do with the 2 GSs hanging around? 2 electricity part bulbs?

Nice spot! Louis is a fitting target indeed.

I don't think bulbing is that efficient at this point, I'd rather use scientists for golden ages (naturally once we get fitting counterparts).

Oh the poor Americans got beat at their own game!

Louis as a target sounds good to me too--he has been known to run for culture, which can be annoying. If we get much bigger I can see WvO peacefully vassaling to us, probably after we take down Mansa, then we win!

I was thinking to save the GPeople for GA's now. We have all the tech lead on Louis that we need.

We can take down my signs too :)

Yeah I tried to generate anything but a scientist, but a low odds one popped out (Great Library "pollution")

Also I am leaving Sunday and will be out of comission (no computer I realized just now) for all summer... :(

Sorry this is kinda sudden, I assumed I would have internet where I am going, but I shan't

Top Bottom