Paradox Interactive games

Also Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
Also also, Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations (reportedly)
Also also also, Runemaster (Norse Mythology Fantasy RPG running on Clausewitz)

I don't know what to think of this rush. I was kinda looking forward to East v. West, but it seems like that project is failing like a particular American war in eastern Asia. I still don't have Sons of Abraham because I haven't finished my current CKII games, so that's going to be a big content boost all at once.

Well, I hope HoI 4 doesn't end up as HoI 3.5...
...because after EU4 (aka. EU 3.5 in my books), I would like some rather large changes to the game as a whole and not just a few "improved game mechanics". :(

I'm curious about runemaster. Glancing at it it looks like it might almost be a top-down/Isometric sort of RPG (ala the old Baldur's Gate et al)? If so, potentially interesting.

HOI IV: Big wait and see on that, given what a fiasco HOI 3 was.

I don't know what to think of this rush. I was kinda looking forward to East v. West, but it seems like that project is failing like a particular American war in eastern Asia. I still don't have Sons of Abraham because I haven't finished my current CKII games, so that's going to be a big content boost all at once.

East v. West was hit with the hype stick a tad too hard, and now the devs are starting to walk back on their promises. It should be interesting to see how the beta goes, because it'll be the point where it comes to light that the game is solid with bugs, or an unplayable mess.

I do feel that Rajas of India will be the most expensive CK2 DLC to date. $15 minimum, but I wouldn't be surprised if it hit $20 to even $25.

Going to join on the silent majority of people who will take a wait-and-see policy on HoI4. I couldn't really get into III because it felt like all the expansion were required as opposed to optional like Crusader Kings DLC.

That's quite a bit of new content. I may well get the EUIV or CKII packs eventually, although likely not at launch since I still have a lot to explore in what I already have. And which packs I'll get in which order, it's hard to say. Can't say there's a lack of options, though.

The trailers for Runemaster and HOI IV don't say a whole lot. Reserving judgement on the former, but I'll be skeptical of HOI IV. I have HOI:III+FTM, and while it's mildly interesting to watch what happens when leaving it up and running at high speed, I haven't found it great for actually playing. Whereas I could see myself buying expansions for CKII, EUIV, or Vicky2, buying an expansion for HOI III seems a lot less likely, and thus so does the prospect of buying HOI IV. And while I'm okay with the "EU 3.5" aspect of EUIV (and wish Firaxis had done the equivalent with Civ 5), I second GAGA Extrem's hope that HOI IV isn't HOI 3.5, since HOI 3 is probably the least impressive of the big four in their latest incarnations.

I know this is a bit vague, but can anyone give a list of paradox titles with a small summary? i know the big ones like CK2 and EU, and HoI, but there are so much more era's wanna know what else there is and if it is any good.

EU: Rome:
Features the EU3 engine with a local map of Europe and the areas around the Mediterranean sea. Playable as any faction, but certainly focused on rome. Has a neat Civil War feature, where countries can be split in two by warring factions. Also features a senate mechanic with rivaling parties and a rudimentary family/dynasty system. Playable from 280 BC to 27 BC, iirc.

Victoria 2:
Play from 1836 to 1936. This is probably the best Pdox game out there, because it simulates province population, classes (craftsmen, artisans, capitalists, etc.), political ideologies and is their only game that has an actual world market where goods are being bought and sold and factories that actual buy and produce goods. Also features a lot of internet politics with events, reforms and popular movements + rebellions.

Sengoku:
Features the predecessor of the CK2 engine with a local map of Japan around 1467 with all the warring feudal states. Basicially it's "CK2 light in Japan". If you like the setting, you might want to give it a try, but it lacks a bit in variety since you nations can snowball pretty quickly.

If you are not afraid to learn the game, I highly suggest Victoria 2. It is - imho - *by far* their best title. It also has some amazing mods, for example "Pops of Darkness" (aka. "PDM"), that vastly improve this already great game.

I know how to play Europa Universalis, I play it since Europa Universalis 2, and I learn it alone and it took so much times since it is so lack of tutorial. However, when I play victoria, hearth of iron and CK2, there so much things, and it is out of my expectation I expect it to be similar with Europa Universalis, and I feel too lazy to learn it.

And I also bought UE 4 (edit) on steam, haven't play it yet, maybe I will start play it today, and I already quick viewing the content, it also seem more complex than EU3 (edit).

I hope there is a detail tutorial on how to play EU, Victoria, CK2, and hearts of iron. If anyone know anything like that, "paradox's games tutorial for dummy" let me know please

Eviscarator and Tekk's tavern both have an excellent tutorial series on youtube about CK2. Only thing that is a bit dated about it, is the technology working, but thats not that huge and more a passive proces now

I got EU3 for free when the paradox forum reached 500k, but i havent played it yet properly. Like every paradox game it's tutorial is horrible (and i even got stuck once). And the map is so dated and ugly. I'll probably buy EU4 in the summer, but as for now im still looking around a bit for a decent tutorial.

I'm not interested in 20th century or world wars, so im not sure whether i would go for Victoria 2. Also i love steam achievements, so EU4 would be more for me

I bought it near christmas so it just cost me like $20, it was $10, but in a day it rose up to 20 so before it raise again I buy it, and not playing it yet, just for stock.

EDIT: Thanks for the tutorial, I checked it, and it is more than I expected! thank you!

no problem. Im still looking for something similar for EU4. Im following a Spanish/castille LP.

CK2 isnt as difficult because there are no sliders or ideas or other numbers that effect you. ts mainly about people management

I've been reading lots of posts on the PI forums. Can someone remind me why? I so often come away feeling a new level of contempt for the human race :sad:

I've been reading lots of posts on the PI forums. Can someone remind me why? I so often come away feeling a new level of contempt for the human race :sad:

Reading the rage of people who act as if they already played the Rajas of India DLC for Crusader Kings II is interesting. The amount of rage people can work themselves up into over a terrain screenshot of India and the DLC name is incredible.

I often go there information scavenging, and I've found that you just learn to turn your emotional drivers off after some time.

All I wanted was info about hoi4 and runemaster.

The hoi4 forum has descended into a flame war between 'hardcore gamers' and those who 'want to dumb it down' so anyone can play. It was only announced at the end of last week and we haven't even had a dev diary!

The runemaster forum is a little better as all the people who took it as a personal insult that it wasn't going to be eurome2 seem too have left.

Top Bottom