Patch 1.09 released!

Still have BLACK TERRAIN.
I can now see the leaderheads (with weird eyes - no iris), but it's impossible to play like this...
How demanding is it to see plains, desert, hills, grassland and mountain tiles??? FIX IT already!!

Lord Shadow said:
LOL! I don't think so. Why would you need to completely wipe your computer clean if you can't properly uninstall a game? Just go to the game folder and erase it. If you want a more thorough elimination, check the registry and delete the related keys.

Geez, that's just suicidal.
I shouldn't have to know how to do all of that mucking about with registery. Most people don't know how to do it. Oh, yes, I know exactly what it is and what it's for. I also know that the Windows registery causes more headaches than anything else in this Mac OS rip-off called Microsoft Windows. It shouldn't even exist at all yet there it is, after all these years. It was a bad idea from day #1.

The point is this: I started with a fresh system and I had NO PROBLEMS. I had the easy capability to reinstall a ghost and so I gave that a shot and it made a huge difference. This should be a valuable bit of info for the game makers who are, without the slightest bit of doubt, working on yet another patch that needs to be released ASAP.

Flamegrape said:
I shouldn't have to know how to do all of that mucking about with registery.QUOTE]

Go back a few posts, i made a recommendation for all who cant uninstall the game to try something like "Your Uninstaller 2006"
If you open that, then uninstall, when done it searches your computer for any files/folders/registry entries left behind. Youd be surprised how much $%#% programs leave behind when you order them to be removed :p

Off topic, but i wanted to ask. Does anyone read the posts? Or do most people just read the first and last?

5 minutes till it is downloaded! But after reading all of these posts it seems like it will make my game worese. Damn Well I will try it. Everyone said my game wouldn't work without T&L and it does really well. My only problem is the slowdown late game on huge maps. So lets hope this works!

Flamegrape said:
I shouldn't have to know how to do all of that mucking about with registery.
Go back a few posts, i made a recommendation for all who cant uninstall the game to try something like "Your Uninstaller 2006"
If you open that, then uninstall, when done it searches your computer for any files/folders/registry entries left behind. Youd be surprised how much $%#% programs leave behind when you order them to be removed :p

Off topic, but i wanted to ask. Does anyone read the posts? Or do most people just read the first and last?

I can't control myself and use this exploit--especially when the AI pisses me off. Is it fixed in this patch?

dshirk said:
There is a technical tips page posted on the Firaxis site here:

http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detail.php?gameid=6&tips=1

One of the tips (regarding movie playback issues) is:

Set Bink16Bit = 1 or BinkInterlace = 1 in the Civ4Config ini file (requires the Civ patch or later)

I tried it. Before the opening movie was choppy (worse than before the patch); now it was ugly AND choppy. So I changed the settings back.

Wonder movies are OK though.

dshirk said:
There is a technical tips page posted on the Firaxis site here:

http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detail.php?gameid=6&tips=1

One of the tips (regarding movie playback issues) is:

Set Bink16Bit = 1 or BinkInterlace = 1 in the Civ4Config ini file (requires the Civ patch or later)

I tried it. Before the opening movie was choppy (worse than before the patch); now it was ugly AND choppy. So I changed the settings back.

Wonder movies are OK though.

Somewhat worryingly this doesn't seem to be mentioned in the patch notes, though it is still possible it has been fixed. This really ought to have been number 1 on their list of gameplay bugs so I will be very disappointed if they haven't fixed it. I'll have to check in game to see if it's been fixed.

Guys

Installed the version 1.09 patch and the program runs. I started a new game and much to my surprise when I went to build my first city, I hit "b" to build and the program exited to desktop.

Any Ideas?

CF should use bittorrent for the patch. I feel guilty for using the bandwith and I wont go on other site because of lines.

We shall soon see if it fixes... wait I didnt have any probelms.

With original version my opening movie & sound is sloppy. Othervise ok to play (2.4Ghz celeron, 1G 333ram, 9200 Club radeon, soundmax soundcard). Ill DL patch tonite ~2100EET, and Ill tell you how did it change thingies (like is the opening movie still sloppy). Also before DL patch Iam going to defrag my HDD (40G HDD).

Flamegrape said:
I shouldn't have needed to do this. Since I plan ahead, I had a ghost image. Others will have to ERASE THEIR HARD DRIVES AND REINSTALL THEIR OPERATING SYSTEMS.

Just a note on this subject, since I had the same problem. After the patch failed to install, I couldn't uninstall the game from the control panel, because the windows installer took me to install the patch, instead of uninstall the game. I saw a lot of suggestions, to manually delete everything or go into the registry, but that stuff doesn't seem necessary. I just ran the setup from the cd, and it let me uninstall the game. Went to "run" and "D:" and used the setup there. I also saw someone who downloaded the patch (ignored errors) and then uninstalled, that seems like an easy way to do it too.

Unfortunately, I still can't download the patch even from the in-game updater. :(

I'll try ignoring all the errors and see what happens. Guess we need a patch for the patch. :mischief:

Downloaded the patch, and it seems to have fixed the issues I had. But now when I get a new tech there is no longer the popup telling me what it was with the voice of Leonard Nemoy.

Any ideas?

PGM said:
Still have BLACK TERRAIN.
I can now see the leaderheads (with weird eyes - no iris), but it's impossible to play like this...
How demanding is it to see plains, desert, hills, grassland and mountain tiles??? FIX IT already!!

did the patch fix black terrain for anyone?

Mozenwrath said:
did the patch fix black terrain for anyone?
I know how to fix it!

Get a decent video card! :D

muhahaha said:
I can't control myself and use this exploit--especially when the AI pisses me off. Is it fixed in this patch?

Yes..............you have to grin and bear it now

Hmm -
i'm running out of the box (pre-order edition), with a machine that just below recommended spec (graphics card, I think), and I've had no "bug" issues. I have had some slowness in standard game at very end (not as bad as civ 3 used to be, though).

I'm trying to decide whether I should download this, or leave well-enough alone... what is the general consensus on the patch? Do we have to install to 4OTM ?

BTW : Specs are:
Windows XP Pro SP2
AMD 2.5+
512 MB
Ti4200

Lord Shadow said:
I know how to fix it!

Get a decent video card! :D

Wow your smart.
Well ok just a smartAss.
I mean come on. If you meet the min requirments you should be able to see the game. Not some black screen bull.
But what can we expect from firaxis/take2? This patch says it all.
Like I said before it will take at least three patches and a year for them to fix. That fix will come out in an expansion pack.
They have your money, they have our money. Why should they work on it. I mean that would mean they actually care about there product. With this game and this patch we see that is not the case. What we see is they fix just enough to keep you hoping. So they can string it out till the expansion pack.

Top Bottom