Patch 1.09 released!

Downloaded the civfanatics copy of the patch but when people were saying about the 1706 error (no valid source) I downloaded in game (hoping that I'd get a country specific patch) but I still got the 1706 error.

I did notice that just before the error showed up, it was looking at the floppy drive (the dvd is in my normal dvd drive) maybe it was just checking all drives? Probably its looking for the US version of the game? Now THAT is an example of sloppy QA given that it has nothing to do with my PC config (so no excuse for them not checking it).

However, clicking past the error and its all installed fine.

Had to re-set my options from the defaults again but that is normal.

In game performance seems a bit better (hard to tell as it was good for me anyways). No problem with the intro movie (wasnt a problem before either). Havn't had a wonder movie yet (some B*****D beat me to sistine by 1 turn :mad: ). The AI declared war within 1 turn of loading the patch, though I admit I'd seen him massing his troops for a while before the patch...

All advisor screens load OK, science screen seemed to be reporting the correct techs (I read someone else say theirs was wrong?).

Havent had to upgrade my drivers or anything (as I said they were fine before, but I know newStatesman suggested it for those getting CTDs after the patch).

athlon 2400+
1gb
6600gt 128mb (77.72 drivers)
XP SP1
Asus a7v333
European (DVD) Civ4 with in-game patch 1.09 applied (no patch 1.08 ever downloaded)

The update completely wrecked my installation and I'm unable to uninstall the game. I'm going to try to re-install the game to fix the problem and attempt to update in-game.

This sucks. :aargh:

how weird--my copy just doesn't work anymore. Mind you, i'm using my review build and not a retail build, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

i wish the game was available in japan...

Now this is something to be thankful for! Happy Thanksgiving!
-TSteamer

Edit: (Ack. After reading the full thread...apologies to those the patch either didnt work for, or made worse...)

:cry:
This is the error I got:

Attachments

• theCIV4updateBLOWS.jpg
    theCIV4updateBLOWS.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,675
Argpmait said:
I shared my 1.09 experience in another thread without realising that there is already a long thread going on here. Repro-ing...

My son and I have been playing Civilization IV, version 1.00 on 2 brand new computers that we bought from Costco. One is a HP Pavillion Model a1123 and the other is a Gateway 836GM. Both are fast machines, costing about $1,400 each, and we have Comcast as an ISP. We were able to enjoy playing LAN Civ4 games for a week, with fast frame rates and good movies. No problem prior to the patch.

We downloaded the patch 1.09 this evening. My Gateway machine runs Civ4 now with a message that says "Your machine is below minimum specification. Civ4 will not run on this hardware setup.". The movies were now slow and choppy. My son's HP Pavillion *cannot* even launch Civ4 now, so we are no longer able to play multiplayer games on the LAN. He has a 4 day weekend with no school, and we were looking at spending fun time together... now he is totally disappointed.

Our only option to have fun this weekend is to uninstall patch 1.09. Contrary to any "mistaken believe", there is no easy way to uninstall the patch without totally uninstalling Civilization and reinstalling it from scratch. You cannot uninstall the patch from the Civ4 disk, or right clicking on the menu bar when you invoke "Start\All Program\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV". You have to do it in the control panel, using "Add/Remove Programs". Furthermore the only related entry in Add/Revmove Program is "Sid Meier's Civilization IV", the patches do no appear, so you cannot uninstall just the patch alone. To get our civilization working, we have to delete the entire Civilization IV game, and then reinstall it on both machines. This is a whole lot of trouble.

To add insult to injury, while we were uninstalling Civ 4 from my machine, it frozed. I guess it froze in the middle of uninstallation, and put my machine in a weird "limbo state". This is because I can no longer install Civilization IV from the installation disk because it only has "PLAY" on it. Furthermore, I cannot uninstall Civilization IV now, because the entry in Control Panel "Add/Remove Program" is gone. After a lot of poking around, I finally found a technical solution. I have to use "Regedit" to physically remove the Civilization IV entry so that I can reinstall Civilization IV version 1.00 on my machine again.

The whole 1.09 patch experience is a NIGHTMARE. I took us close to 3 hours to get the patch 1.09 out of both machines, so that we can enjoy playing Civilization 1.00 again. Just my 2 cents.

I feel for you. I am completely unable to uninstall the game. I am considering re-installing the entire hard drive from a ghost image.

I solved the "catastrophic error" (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=3361371&postcount=164) issue by installing the game to the default directory C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 (previously it was installed on different drive).
Hopefully, it can help somebody.
Considering the fact, that non-patched version ran pretty smoothly (standart map size) on my antique hardware (p4 2.4, 256ram, gf4 mx440) couldn't notice some major performance improvements. On the contrary, looks like movies are choppier than before, but who cares?! With my video card I have to turn them off anyway :lol: .
Bottom line: I'm quite happy, since I see hammers and coins, so good luck to everybody and happy civing!

alco75 said:
Try setting ...

; Don't show minimum specification warnings
HideMinSpecWarning = 1

... in the main .ini file.

Cheers!

That, possibly along with some tinkering with what profile to load, fixed the issue. Game now runs fine again, even on max settings.

Flamegrape, it's either you have a cracked *.exe, or a virus inyour system.

Well this patch fixes nothing for me, the game stays unplayable/unloadable. Quits on audio init when I don't disabled audio in the config (as before) if I do so I get around 100 xml erros on init XML when loading continues. I really don't know what to do anymore and I am a server admin for a very large corporation so I am not usually clueless about computer problems. But Civ IV just costs me my last nerves :( really a pity, I loved the predecessor.

Flamegrape said:
:cry:
This is the error I got:

I saw the same I simply ignored it and installation seems to have continued fine. I have no idea why I get this error. I have an original Civ IV collector's box and don't use any cd image or no-cd crack.

Pounder said:
Will this also stop the settings from being automatically changed to lower settings.

Yes, and to anyone else getting "hardware config is not suitable for civ iv" message either see my post on pg.10 of this thread or :- (repeated here)

Go into explorer , doubleclick on Civ IV config settings file (found in same place as civ saved games), scroll down to

[CONFIG]

and change line

HideMinSpecWarning = 0

to

HideMinSpecWarning = 1

Now when you run the game it will bypass the "min settings notification" and if you go into options you can change the graphics etc to whatever you want, and these new settings will be saved..

i have the error 1706: no valid source could be found.

i'm not sure if the patch is installed properly or not, but these are the effects:
intro movie was choppy before and is still choppy now. however, the sound in the intro movie has improved. wonder movies were choppy before, they now seem to be fixed. i haven't yet gotten to a late game, so i'm not sure if that's a problem. other minor bugs (right of passage war declaration, diplomatic peace exploit, ironworks malfunction) do seem to be corrected, although i haven't yet had the opportunity to see all of them.

I have the English-language United States version that I purchased at a store called Best Buy. I have not attempted to alter this program with a no-cd crack. I sincerely doubt I have any viruses because I use a constantly-updated registered copy of PC-Cillin. I also employ Microsoft Anti-Spyware, which is also constantly updated. My computer has been sufficiently powerful enough to play version 1.00 in the past.

Since I recently made a ghost image of my hard drive, I have just ressurected my drive and I have just re-installed CIV4. I will now attempt to install the patch. If I have the same problem again, then I must conclude that this patch is 100% S.N.A.F.U.

They should have done something to fix that annoying in-game auto updater. I have a broadband connection and when I hit the update button my whole PC just freezes. Doesn't even give you a courtesy "be right back" or "looking for updates". To me is useless but I still am able to download from the web manually....

so how can i download it???
just bought it, getting the file not found error when clicking on the startup icon... radeon 9800 SE...
where the heck do i get that patch from????

Flamegrape said:
I have the English-language United States version that I purchased at a store called Best Buy. I have not attempted to alter this program with a no-cd crack. I sincerely doubt I have any viruses because I use a constantly-updated registered copy of PC-Cillin. I also employ Microsoft Anti-Spyware, which is also constantly updated. My computer has been sufficiently powerful enough to play version 1.00 in the past.

Since I recently made a ghost image of my hard drive, I have just ressurected my drive and I have just re-installed CIV4. I will now attempt to install the patch. If I have the same problem again, then I must conclude that this patch is 100% S.N.A.F.U.

It worked now.

I shouldn't have needed to do this. Since I plan ahead, I had a ghost image. Others will have to ERASE THEIR HARD DRIVES AND REINSTALL THEIR OPERATING SYSTEMS.

Now I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to generate random maps from within the WorldBuilder like the update says I can do.

Top Bottom