Patch 1.09 released!

Borgholio said:
- Added regenerate Map Button to World builder Map Mode...
I found this button in the WorldBuilder. I pressed it several times and nothing happened.

I wonder how soon 1.10 is coming out?
:rolleyes:

I've only had one problem with the patch.

My PBEM games that require a password hang when asking for the password. I put in the password, press OK and nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

The invalid Source error is caused by this (i think, it worked for me)
Quote from the 1.09 Readme;
The installer splits up the Art PAK file into multiple 100MB PAKs. Please be patient as this will take some time.

Well guess what? All of us who did the ATI fix and unpacked the ArtPak, we were instructed to MOVE THE FILE OUT OF THE ASSETS FOLDER! It would have been nice to read the readme before i installed, but it was an Auto-update.

This patch installed in under 20 seconds for me. Then after i got to read the Readme that was extracted. Then i figured it out. Moved the ArtPak back into Assets, ran the patch again, and this time it took time to do its job.

Also, about not being able to log into Gamespy;
I type in my name, my password, press enter, it just locked up, 5 minutes later, Error, wrong password or name. I went to gamespyid.com, logged in, it turns out my name had "-tk" added to the end of it. I removed it and it all works fine now. I talked to someone else in the lobby that had the same problem with extra characters added to their names.

I hope this helps someone, anyone, out.

All in all, this patch made the game smoother than it already was for me. I love the new Out of Sync popup. No more guessing, or typing out numbers just to have everyone pretend they have the same number :)
And now when i zoom in and out and scroll the world around, i dont notice Any lag :D

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! GREAT GAME!

Flamegrape said:
It worked now.

I shouldn't have needed to do this. Since I plan ahead, I had a ghost image. Others will have to ERASE THEIR HARD DRIVES AND REINSTALL THEIR OPERATING SYSTEMS.

Now I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to generate random maps from within the WorldBuilder like the update says I can do.
LOL! I don't think so. Why would you need to completely wipe your computer clean if you can't properly uninstall a game? Just go to the game folder and erase it. If you want a more thorough elimination, check the registry and delete the related keys.

Geez, that's just suicidal.

I have now tried un- and reinstalling Civ4 and the patch. Its hard to say for certain, but I think the Mean-Time-From-Load-To-Crash (MTFLTC) has been lowered to about 2 mins after patching. So now I have uninstalled the patch and reinstalled Civ4. My MTFLTC is now around 15 mins.

I. Am. Tired.

Oh, and by the way I have done defrag every time I uninstalled civ4. I thought they said "...memory, caching and performance improvements, etc. There were also a number of video card specific fixes..." about this patch, so I hoped I would be freed from these endless reboots, but my hopes will now be with the next patch.

I never thought I'd say this, but: I am afraid civ4 is loosing me.

JCricket said:
On the contrary, looks like movies are choppier than before, but who cares?! With my video card I have to turn them off anyway :lol: .
DL now... hope it works for me! Seems like Russian Roulette from reading this thread, though..:(

One question: from Crickets quote it seems to be possible to turn off the wonder movies - I've never been able to find an option for that.. can anyone tell me where to find that?
I've been avoiding building wonders because those f'ing movies caused random crashes, though I had no other graphical problems.

John L said:
Does it work? There are some here who are not happy.

Incidentially, I am very unhappy, as I have done all the things that are recommended, and my Nvidia just can't seem to "cut it". I'm using 1 Gig of memory, and an Athalon 2400.

I've got Athlon 2400 and 1GB of RAM as well. I use an nVidia Ti4200 128. I initially had some very bad issues, then I gota program called NVHardpage SE, and after tinkering with that I go tthe game to run like silk, though it looked like ****. I've been tuning a little here and there and got the game to look and run decent eventually. This kind of machine can handle it and then some, before the patch, if you are willing to adjust your hardware's abilities.

I've noticed something else wierd. I loaded my SP Ghandi game. The turn was from 1973. When I loaded the game and hit end turn I was in 1964.

The turn played just fine though...

I have noticed shorter load times both on my desky and my laptop... Particularly from the slower laptop during LAN games. With that said I didn't have much problem with v1.00.

I like the animal husbandry horses thing, much different starting strategy for the horsey civs needed.

rube203 said:
Just curious, does ANYONE have smooth playable movies in this patch? (Opening or Wonder)

Both with and without patch, wonder movies were smooth for me.

But opening movie was always somewhat choppy (not smooth), with sound OK.

Interesting I don't get similar problem if I play video manually with external player (RAD Tools).

Flamegrape said:
I feel for you. I am completely unable to uninstall the game. I am considering re-installing the entire hard drive from a ghost image.

Why not get software like "Your Uninstaller" and completely remove it? I dont trust windows uninstaller, nor do i trust all these different companies uninstallers, they always leave files/folders/registry entries behind. Your uninstaller searches for all of these and informs you of what is left behind and asks if youd like to delete it.

Flamegrape said:
It worked now.

I shouldn't have needed to do this. Since I plan ahead, I had a ghost image. Others will have to ERASE THEIR HARD DRIVES AND REINSTALL THEIR OPERATING SYSTEMS.

Now I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to generate random maps from within the WorldBuilder like the update says I can do.

I was having the same problem as you. I just aborted the patch process, went into the CP, add/remove, then uninstalled civ4. This unfortunatly brought back the civ 4 patch. This time I ignored the error. It patches fine, but you can now uninstall if you want.

Just to be safe I uninstalled, the option is available after you patch with ignore, and reinstalled. I got the same error again.... and repeated the steps to uninstall.

The last time, I just installed and used the ingame update, instead of the downloaded patch I got from this site, and it went in beautifully, not one error.

I'm pondering that my game didn't like the linked patch from this site.

Lord Shadow said:
Flamegrape said:
LOL! I don't think so. Why would you need to completely wipe your computer clean if you can't properly uninstall a game? Just go to the game folder and erase it. If you want a more thorough elimination, check the registry and delete the related keys.

Geez, that's just suicidal.
Yes, that does seem to be a bit extreme for uninstalling any traces of the game. Like you said, delete the folder, edit the reistry (if you are capable), and maybe delete game related stuff from your "my Documents" folder and that should do it.

ltccone said:
I've only had one problem with the patch.

My PBEM games that require a password hang when asking for the password. I put in the password, press OK and nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

I have the same problem with my PBEM games. I type my password in, and the cursor just spins.

My movies are even choppier now after the patch, but I can see all the resource yields on the terrains now. I haven't played much with this patch yet, but to me it seems that I was better off before it.

I downloaded this patch and the new Nvidia 81.95 drivers and the game runs smooth as before with low resolution, except I now have some leaders that have DEMON eyes (their eyes are just white, no iris, quite frightening), I didnt have that problem before. It happens to both Asoka's eyes, Genghis's right eye, but Cyrus's eyes are ok...

Thracius said:
I have the same problem with my PBEM games. I type my password in, and the cursor just spins.

My movies are even choppier now after the patch, but I can see all the resource yields on the terrains now. I haven't played much with this patch yet, but to me it seems that I was better off before it.

Yep the cursor just spins...

I wonder if new PBEM games will do the same thing, or if it only affects converted old ones.

System: Athlon 1700+, 512MB RAM, Radeon 8500LE 128MB

My unpatched version ran rather sluggishly on my box (still playable), and every time I exited, I had the Windows Virtual Memory warning telling me that more virtual memory was being allocated.

After the patch, the game seems to be quite a bit more responsive, but I still get the Windows Virtual Memory warning when I exit. Looks like the memory hogging hasn't been rectified yet.

Might be time to go to 1 GB RAM, or just upgrade outright. It would be a shame to spend $1500++ on a new system just so I can play a $50 game :(

koolaje said:
It's probably better for the Moderators to try to compile a How-to guide to uninstalling the patch. This will definitly help everyone that has trouble.

Somewhere along the lines of:
1. Create System Restore Point #1.
2. Patch Your Civ4
3. If it doesn't work, uninstall Civ 4.
4. Load System Restore Point #1.
5. Install Civ4 and Not install the patch.

System Restore will automatically create a checkpoint when you install new software (like this patch).

No one with patch problems has mentioned whether they tried to use System Restore, or what the results were.

With so many different system configurations in the world, and with only the people who have problems likely to complain, it's really hard to judge how much of a problem there is or what is causing it or what solution will work for all of those different people.

Top Bottom