[patch .275] AI mistakes

Pep

King
I've been thiking in starting a thread to post images and savegames of current AI mistakes. So, here it is!. I think it can be useful to help the developers to improve the AI.

So, this is the first AI mistake I found: AI is not using its naval superiority. Look at the image below: near London, I have 3 frigates and the AI 4 ships of the line and 1 caravel. The AI should use its near fully healed ships to attack my ships, and send the badly damaged ship of the line to a dock for repair. I attached also a savegame: If you push "Next turn", the damaged ship remains near mine and the rest of the ship go to attack my allied CS Ragusa! Not a very smart AI movement...

Edit: Reduced the image quality because I'm near the quota limit. Removed the savegame because I'm near the quota limit.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 91
Yeah, I've often noticed that enemy naval units sometimes just sail around randomly, or wait within their borders until my army comes along. If they were a bit more aggressive then they might win more often, esp. since cutting off trade money from a city with a naval blockade can be a nasty setback to the economy in some situations.

This is another example of AI mistakes. The crossbowman in the images shouldn't land from the lake near my longswordman.

I attached the savegame before the landing. Pressing next turn makes the AI move the crossbowman to a dangerous spot, where my longswordman will kill him.

Edit: Reduced the images quality because I'm near the quota limit. Removed the savegame because I'm near the quota limit.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0003.jpg
    Civ5Screen0003.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Civ5Screen0004.jpg
    Civ5Screen0004.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 51
In this image you can see that my puppet city Nuku Hiva is not producing anything. It continues this behaviour for several turns (attached a savegame to prove this).

I also have attached a image of a graphic bug where the graphics from the objects in another place in the map are shown when you move the mouse.

Edit: Removed the savegame due because I'm near the quota limit. Reduced the image quality because I'm near the quota limit.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 75
In the following images you can see several bad AI moves:
  • A pikeman and a great general move near the city of Tondibi. They will be killed easily by my longswordman helped by frigate bombardement.
  • A pikeman and a musketman just drop into the water near my frigates!!! A really bad AI move :cry:

I have attached the images before and after the moves and the savegame.

Edit: Removed the savegame because of G&K changes

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0002.jpg
    Civ5Screen0002.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Civ5Screen0003.jpg
    Civ5Screen0003.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 55
In the following images you can see several bad AI moves:
  • A pikeman and a great general move near the city of Tondibi. They will be killed easily by my longswordman helped by frigate bombardement.
  • A pikeman and a musketman just drop into the water near my frigates!!! A really bad AI move :cry:

I have attached the images before and after the moves and the savegame.

I've continued the game and I can't sink the enemy units directly because they are Shongai. But, when bombarding them, I can sink them in a single shot with my frigates. Is this a bug in defensive embarkement Shongai ability?

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 79
In the following images you can see how an enemy great general walks into his death by positioning himself near the city of Tombouctu for no aparent reason. My longsworman will pick him easily. I think AI shouldn't send out its generals without a proper bodyguard.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0004.jpg
    Civ5Screen0004.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Civ5Screen0003.jpg
    Civ5Screen0003.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 53
In the image you can see an enemy AI caravel bombarding my CS allied of Monaco. I also have posted the savegame. If you press "Next turn" you can see the caravel continues its attack over Monaco until it's finally destroyed.

This is a strange AI behaviour. A single caravel will never be able to make substantial damage to an enemy city. The only reason I can see is to do some XP farming. Anyway, the AI should send its caravel to repair when she has suffered enough damage.

Furthermore, displaying the caravel attacking Monaco makes the turns a bit slow...

Edit: Removed the savegame due to G&K changes

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 45
the Graphic bug in the one may be related to your video card possibly as I have never seen that one happen before. Not ruling it out of possibility of course, but never seen it myself.

the Graphic bug in the one may be related to your video card possibly as I have never seen that one happen before. Not ruling it out of possibility of course, but never seen it myself.

I currently have an nvidia gtx 580 and before I had an Amd/Ati 5870 HD. The graphic bug happens with both cards. Maybe is a DirectX 11 related bug.

In the attached picture you can see the enemy great general is greatly damaged because I'm bombarding it with a Frigate and a Caravel (with the range promotion). The AI should send to a city to recover his health. Instead, when you press "next turn" in the attached savegame, the great general is still in the same tile.

I don't know if perhaps range promotions aren't considered by AI when calculating its next moves.

Edit: Removed the savegame due to quota issues

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 83
I currently have an nvidia gtx 580 and before I had an Amd/Ati 5870 HD. The graphic bug happens with both cards. Maybe is a DirectX 11 related bug.

I too have this, with my GTS450, and before when I used a 9800 GT with directX 9.
I find that rapidly clicking on random points on the minimap sometimes clears it up. Usually for me it happens in the late game - how about you?

I too have this, with my GTS450, and before when I used a 9800 GT with directX 9.
I find that rapidly clicking on random points on the minimap sometimes clears it up. Usually for me it happens in the late game - how about you?

Yes, the same thing happens to me. Sometimes it's cleared only by moving the mouse to change the map view position without clicking on the mini map.

In the following images you can see:
  • Turn 1: My infantries enter Old Sarai border (last mongolian city).
  • Turn 2: AI moves his muskeman and is destroyed by my infantry. It also moves its Great General into water. A clever movement would be moving him into its city and moving the worker into the lake.
  • Turn 3: The AI nonsense movements: Musketman jumps into the water and the Great General moves into a tile where he will be killed next turn.

Maybe something is wrong in AI routines so it's prioritized to maintain in safe location a worker over a Great General.

In the response to this thread I'll post the savegames:
  • AI_great_general_move_1.Civ5Save: end of turn 1.
  • AI_great_general_move_2.Civ5Save: end of turn 2.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0003.jpg
    Civ5Screen0003.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Civ5Screen0006.jpg
    Civ5Screen0006.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Civ5Screen0007.jpg
    Civ5Screen0007.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 62
As you can see in first the screenshot, I managed to get in time with my fleet to help the CS of Genoa of an amphibious assault by India. After pressin "next turn" in the attached savegame the AI makes the following moves:
  • Moves the embarked longswordman to an ocean tile where it'll be picked by my frigates (bad move).
  • Moves the damaged cavalry into the water, instead of retiring him into Pataliputra to heal him (another bad move).
  • Moves several embarked troops to attack Helsinki instead of Genoa and maintains the frigate covering then in the strait (curious move, but India will almost lose his frigate).

With all these AI moves I have a doubt: could the AI sometimes use its embarked troops as a "cannon fodder" to protect more valuable targets?

Edit: Removed the savegame due to quota issues

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 70
Damn, I never realized how gorgeous the game is on high settings.

I truly need to buy a new computer.

Can't speak to the AI issues, but I have that graphics bug too and it's extremely annoying. It consistently comes up late in games on large or huge maps. I have a pretty sweet system I bought specifically for this game a few months ago, so I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware issue...

Maybe not belonging in this thread, but. AI built London on the coast, when I took the city it had built 2 wonders, Great Lighthouse and The Colossus. London was a nice city, lots of cattle, grain and a couple of luxuries. London did not have a single sea tile that had an upgrade on it.

Top Bottom