1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Patch is live

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Ozymandias9891, Mar 8, 2018.

1. BenZL43

BenZL43 coassistentschap

Ah, they still haven't fixed Bandar Brunei's logo or give Spear of Fionn an unit badge. I'm disappointed :(

conorbebe and MisterBoomBoom like this.
  2. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Overhere D/L ended up being about 80 Mbs.
    # 1.0.0.229 (339082)

3. acluewithout

acluewithout Chieftain

This really is just so disappointing.

Prior to all this R&F monkey business, England were a fun civ. They were not particularly gimmicky, with just great buildings and units and a fairly situational super power (Pax Brittania), that offered lots of interesting strategies. They were solid in terms of power level, not overpowered at all.

Before this patch, R&F had already nerfed England twice. First, because England lost its trade route stacking. Second, because the lighthouse now gives trade routes not the harbour district, the RND was made less valuable. Those nerfs made England weaker, and I don't think the indirect buffs to Harbours (more sea resources, another sea district), or loyalty boost for RNDs offset that. But in addition to making England weaker, those changes to me made England less fun / unique - I had a lot of fun playing England as the 'trade route' Civ.

So, I really see this as a third nerf, and one that make England close to garbage - again, both in terms of actual strength but also just playability / fun factor.

To be clear, I don't need England to be God Tier. I don't even want them to be A or B tier. I just want them to be competitive and, moreover, fun to play (in the sense of creating possibilities for lots of different strategies). England are my go to Civ, and I honestly don't see myself playing this game until they're sorted out.

On the bright side, it feels like this is a temporary fix. The patch also hasn't gone into extensive balance changes - I assume because Firaxis didn't have time for this patch, and also want to see how things pan out first. Proper balance changes are surely on the horizon.

I think it's very likely England - along with some other Civs - will get looked at again in terms of balance. The only issue really is 'when' - I expect it could be quite a while before Firaxis seriously overhaul Civ balance issues.

I don't have any skin in the game on this point.

For what it's worth, I don't think Firaxis were wrongheaded adding these Agendas in the first place. But they've obviously played out very differently than they anticipated.

I'm impressed they've been pragmatic enough just to get rid of these agendas and move on.

Ahh... was this always a thing Stadiums did?

Overall, pretty cool. I'm keen to get Chicken Pizza in a city and then put in a Zoo. Some Brazil adjacency would be fun as well. More generally, fun to have some districts that do a range of things instead of just produce one yield.

I don't understand what any of these changes actually mean.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    whylom and WorldWarIV like this.
  4. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

I thought it would be obvious since the Aquarium got science bonuses from reefs. Didn't think about the marsh though. I should have considering I live around a bunch of wetlands. :o

I didn't. Than again I never actually saw them come to play in game.

5. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

So I'm guessing where they've been raised in terms of the captures, that's outside of the terms of the CB? i.e. you won't get an increased penalty if you're doing only what the CB allows?

@FXS_Sarah ?

6. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Chieftain

I should hope so, otherwise I won't be protecting any of my allies anymore...

7. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Chieftain

I just got that one..

8. PeterChu

PeterChu Chieftain

I shall agree this is a nerf masqueraded as a bug fix. It seriously weakens the viability of 'maritime empire' strategy in CIv 6. You already got a lot of civs with strong 'land empire' based UUs or UIs. Somehow, another unnoticed imbalance.

Morningcalm likes this.
  9. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Chieftain

Yes! I will take FULL CREDIT!!! ;)

10. Kwami

Kwami Chieftain

From the Expansion1_Agendas.xml file:

Code:
        <AgendaPreferredLeaders>
            <Row AgendaType="AGENDA_GOSSIP" LeaderType="LEADER_CATHERINE_DE_MEDICI" PercentageChance="15"/>
        </AgendaPreferredLeaders>

<ExclusiveAgendas>
            <Row AgendaOne="AGENDA_BLACK_QUEEN" AgendaTwo="AGENDA_GOSSIP"/>
        </ExclusiveAgendas>

Isn't that broken? Or does exclusive not mean that it should mean? Was it like this before the patch?

11. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Queen's

It looks like there was a little update a couple hours ago to Expansion1_Agendas, but I'm not sure what changed exactly.

12. Duuk

Duuk Champion of Colorblindness Supporter

Is it just me... weren't the 2k/Firaxis/etc intro videos part of the skipped videos prior to this patch?

Suddenly they're not skipped for me.

13. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

For anyone wondering, the deletion of the flirtatious agenda doesn't break saves. In my current game started before the patch, my neighbor Peter was flirtatious; now his secondary agenda is "unknown" and I have a +6 with no description with him. But the game plays fine.

14. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Chieftain

I will tell you why Pax Britannia got nerfed; it was flat busted with the Loyalty system. I played a pre-patch game as Victoria where I captured a city in the center of an enemy's territory, a city on another continent. Ping! Fresh Swordsman. Moved out and let it flip to a Free City from Loyalty pressure. Took the city again. Ping! Fresh Swordsman. I was able to make units that way faster than by hammering them out, and they were right in the middle of the enemy's territory. It would have been real easy to do this all the way up the tech ladder. Also to Levy City-State troops right in your enemy's midst then churn and burn them into an English army of your own.

There was probably a midpoint fix of only one free melee unit per city, but I suspect the game software wasn't up to the challenge.

15. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Chieftain

Worth mentioning: Mountains still don't count for polders. i.e. two flatlands + one mountain? No polder.

16. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

I personally liked it but, oh well, them's the breaks!

Ozymandias9891, KAL_MAD and nzcamel like this.
  17. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

I hadn't had that soooo...yeah maybe just you :p

They could have put a limit on it, as in you only get the unit the first time you conquer a city.

You must be an Australian - they get hills and mountains mixed up too :lol: :rolleyes:

craney1987 and Ozymandias9891 like this.
  18. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Queen's

For those that use mods, it looks like both the bug with UDs and the DLC LoadOrder error have both been fixed.

*Edit* On another topic, wasn't there a -17 malus for Naval Ranged units attacking land units? I'm in the middle of a game and that penalty seems to be gone.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    conorbebe, nzcamel, Sibylus and 2 others like this.
  19. Sibylus

Sibylus Chieftain

Thank you, I was wondering! Some of my faves are already patched and ready :queen:

20. Vandlys

Vandlys Chieftain

Always nice to have certainty for those who were wondering this, but I immediately had to wonder who would equate a hill tile to a mountain tile. This statement could then be made for everything that is hill-only too. Acropolis + mountain tile? No acropolis. Hills and mountains are not the same thing, so why would a polder work next to a mountain tile in the first place? Seriously, just wondering who would think that and why : )

But, like I said, thanks for posting that to clarify it for those who might have thought polders could be placed next to mountains.