Patch is out!!!

2) I also noticed something strange; Grouped locations of CS on Archipelago. Maybe an odd event, but i wonder. Felt more like purposely defined "traps" for certain map regions.
"Grouped" is how city states historically used to be. Most of italy used to be lots of city states, for example.

I have a game that I am playing with the new patch and have had 2 city states ask for a road built to my capital. I completed BOTh roads but the game does not recognize it. Both city states still want a road built.

I have a game that I am playing with the new patch and have had 2 city states ask for a road built to my capital. I completed BOTh roads but the game does not recognize it. Both city states still want a road built.

Recheck each tile with your mouse to see if they all have roads. You may need to "finish" one even if it "looks" like it has one.

Recheck each tile with your mouse to see if they all have roads. You may need to "finish" one even if it "looks" like it has one.

Man there's something that I need to do almost every game due to a barbarian scaring a worker at some point. :lol:

About this El Dorado and Fountain of Youth. It is part of the Spanish New World Scenario. It has a historical significance for that time. It is coincidental to the fact that Spain was looking for a route to the Indies and Siam is now the most powerful Civ. Sounds like on a historical World map you have three great civs forming at the same time.

Since the pc that my game is installed is being fixed, thus it's away from home, can anyone tell me about the new diplomacy features? Are they working? (pacts of secrecy and cooperation didn't seem to do much.)

Is the AI more rational in making decisions to attack you? I remember that most of the time it was attacking without a real chance to win or it was becoming hostile/attacking you for no apparent reason.

Thanks in advance.

Since the pc that my game is installed is being fixed, thus it's away from home, can anyone tell me about the new diplomacy features? Are they working? (pacts of secrecy and cooperation didn't seem to do much.)

Is the AI more rational in making decisions to attack you? I remember that most of the time it was attacking without a real chance to win or it was becoming hostile/attacking you for no apparent reason.

Thanks in advance.

In my game, I quickly became friend with the iroquois and songhai. both were also friend so we made somekind of an alliance the 3 of us against the ottoman. At some point, songhai started a war with persia, friend of the iroquois. Then both the iroquois and songhai asked me to help them against the other... The alliance had been broken... I choose songhai since I also hated persia. I now have a pact of defense with songhai.

At the start of the game, Greece declared war on me because ''they wanted my land'', I defended and got some swordman near Athen, they quickly asked for peace (no gift). I said yes. From then, they became friendly and the tool tips says: ''we have been at war with them, but they don't seems to hold any grudge against us''. We are now open border and having tech deal.

England, ottoman, persia and iroquois allied themself angainst me and songhai... So now I could be in trouble for supporting a warmounger (Askia.).

So yeah, everything is much better. Also note that Luxury trade is now better, you can easily trade with friendly leader.

No, BretP is right I'm sure. This happened to me in my first game after the patch as well. I had two City States that asked for roads and both definitely, absolutely had roads connected to them that could be traced back to my capital (I triple-checked!). Yet I got no influence boost with either CS and they both continued asking for a road to be built.

I'm sure that this is a bug caused since the patch.

Hopefully there will be a patch for the patch forthcoming that will fix this little slip up ASAP.

Cheers :)

Thanks in advance.

I've only touched on diplomacy a little bit, but what I've seen I definitely like. It gives you the information you require to successfully do diplomacy, without giving away so much that you can min/max things-the way you could in Civ4. My only beef now is that (a) it appears they've removed Pacts of Secrecy & Pacts of Co-Operation (can someone confirm that?) & (b) I now wish they'd make City-States work the same way, as I feel they're still too gamey!

Aussie.

I've only touched on diplomacy a little bit, but what I've seen I definitely like. It gives you the information you require to successfully do diplomacy, without giving away so much that you can min/max things-the way you could in Civ4. My only beef now is that (a) it appears they've removed Pacts of Secrecy & Pacts of Co-Operation (can someone confirm that?) & (b) I now wish they'd make City-States work the same way, as I feel they're still too gamey!

Aussie.

While Pacts of Co-Operation are useless, I actually miss Pacts of Secrecy. They were useful and helped me figure out which AI player other AI players didn't like.

BTW, JamesCivFan, if you want, you can put the game on as many computers as you want. It might be easier just to wait til you get yours back, but I figure you'd want to know.

What is the size of the patch. I wonder since i use my phone as a modem

For me the download size was a bit over 100MB (but shows up as 173MB on steam). Others have reported 500MB which I find hard to believe, but there you have it. YMMV ;)

Hmmm, I've read through this thread a bit and I still see "hardcore" fans who feel a sense of entitlement. The sooner you get rid of it, the better. For all of us. (Not that those fantasy wonder complaints are baseless, as I'll be explaining in the next paragraph.)

Seriously?!?! 500 gold? That right there is ultra gamebreaking in the early game! I sense a nerf to these on the next patch.

Also, strategic view will help lots.

uh... no. City defense actually wrecks AI vs AI combat so run-away AIs will be a rare sight now, thereby indirectly benefiting the player greatly. The AI is also very good at using flanking bonuses.

The change to GG and horses benefits the AI more, the flatland penalty is a 0 sum because while the AI usually does very stupidly place its units and it's a benefit on that count, the player can now remain in formation much more easily

My first game since the patch and the French formed a huge empire, huge lead in score. Only Rome can stand against them and I'm conveniently placed behind Rome, so safe for now. So there are run-away AI's, BUT they don't just roll over everyone without much trouble. The war with Rome didn't do much to either of them. They're in a stalemate, now at peace (temporary I'm sure). Also they managed to destroy Spain only with 2 or 3 waves of war. Not completely though, they still exist. As far as I remember that didn't happen pre-patch. Pre-patch they'd just roll over everyone without any if at all resistance, so it seems promising.

I also have trouble keeping up with everyone (notice everyone, not one warmonger run-away) with my usual 3 city set up, so it definitely seems promising.

In my game, I quickly became friend with the iroquois and songhai. both were also friend so we made somekind of an alliance the 3 of us against the ottoman. At some point, songhai started a war with persia, friend of the iroquois. Then both the iroquois and songhai asked me to help them against the other... The alliance had been broken... I choose songhai since I also hated persia. I now have a pact of defense with songhai.

At the start of the game, Greece declared war on me because ''they wanted my land'', I defended and got some swordman near Athen, they quickly asked for peace (no gift). I said yes. From then, they became friendly and the tool tips says: ''we have been at war with them, but they don't seems to hold any grudge against us''. We are now open border and having tech deal.

England, ottoman, persia and iroquois allied themself angainst me and songhai... So now I could be in trouble for supporting a warmounger (Askia.).

So yeah, everything is much better. Also note that Luxury trade is now better, you can easily trade with friendly leader.

There are some inconsistencies though. For example I made friends with somebody Rome didn't like, so he seemed angry about it, but he's still friendly. All the ?tooltip? says is "we made friends with their enemies" and he's friendly? :confused: Not guarded, neutral or anything, but friendly!? Weird considering everyone needs at least one "green" thing to be friendly.

Also allying seems easy and without much consequences. I easily became friends with several nations without any consequences except for the Roman one (who's still friendly anyway). I have no enemies, experienced no aggression and my friends never asked me, for example to denounce their enemies (which I'd expect them to want but no? :confused:) or anything for that matter, except for an occasional free-be luxury from time to time.

I know it states that declaration of friendship deters aggressors, so that could explain that, but why my dear friends never wanted to be aggressors towards me in the first place or back stab me is weird. I know this is far fetched (There is no reason to expect them to necessarily do that, right?).

Denouncing seems useless, they do it all the time, but no one denounced me and I don't see any reason whatsoever to denounce someone myself. Why would I make enemies when I can be friends with everyone?

Wow, just had a long reunion with civ 5. Before the patch I couldn't get into the game, there was just something missing, and it did not feel right at all. Post patch I actually feel like I am involved in the world, amazing how knowing who is your friend or foe, and getting notices that everyone is happy i am a friend with this person, and others think i should be carful it just adds something that was lacking.

The new city combat, making it harder, was a huge plus, you must plan out your attacks and set things up just right. I had an amazing battle with the AI, the first war I made zero progress on them because i was just trying to storm in with my troops through a few choke points (the only place i could enter) by the time i rebuilt for the 2nd war they had covered their land with anti aircraft units, which prevented me from going with my plan A of bombing the hell out of them first. So I was forced to go with plan B with wave after wave of troops going in and clearing out the AA. Once I got that done we came in with out air units and started to make progress on taking the cities. Most of my ground troops had been killed off clearing the skies, so new units had to come in.

The overall feel of the game is so much better now, I was really amazed at what was done.

A few things still stand out as issues that take away from the game for me, like oen borders, they need to allow you or the AI to extend them before they run out, a little popup the turn before would allow you to go in and talk with them, with the current system all your troops are moved back into your land or other parts, even though they right away go back to open borders.

The AI needs a little longer memory, and friends should not switch to foes so fast, seems like there is an odd issue where for 200 turns two civs have been friends and fighting wars together, and then all of the suden they hate each other, and then 10 turns later they are at war.

But the game is much better now, and is starting to feel like what i thought Civ 5 was going to be.

That's some good news I wanted to hear. I can't wait for the damn machine to get fixed so I can get my hands on it to see for myself. Thanks folks :goodjob:

My only beef now is that (a) it appears they've removed Pacts of Secrecy & Pacts of Co-Operation (can someone confirm that?) & (b) I now wish they'd make City-States work the same way, as I feel they're still too gamey!

Aussie.

Yes, the Pacts have been replaced. I also can't find how to pledge to protect a CS, because the AI still does it.

Is anybody else crashing like crazy now? I have tried to play two games now with the new patch and I crash every 10-30 minutes.

I'm playing on small maps, which the PC handled fine with the previous patch.

Other than that, I am pleased with the new patch. The game is much more exciting now with the "smarter" AI and the new diplomacy functions.

Are your graphics drivers upto date? 80% of graphics issues in the end get back to a driver problem. Its entirely possible that in the patch build they used upto date aspects of current drivers, and therefore on Patching any "out of date" drivers could have a problem.

Regards
Zy

Top Bottom