[GS] Patch Livestream March 29th

I had my Mali capital wiped out by a Haboob that lingered overhead instead of moving away, when I was just finishing my exoplant project.

It was the pits.

I was in the samd boat with Mali too, once. My major city, Timbuktu, was essentially annhiliated by a haboob while building my space project. It was a great city! I guess the powers that be just don’t want Malians in space.

I'm watching the livestream now, I was thinking if the search tool could be used to find wonders being built and Ed gave exactly this example. This is a game changer, it will save me a lot of time and it will be easier to do a informed decision.
i wonder if there will be a way to find different adjacencies.

Watched the replay of the stream. Lots of good quality of life changes and much needed buffs to some of the older civs. Coastal flooding happening later but to a greater number of tiles is something I especially like.

I think I'm actually going go try out India for the first time once the patch goes live thanks to their buff.

SO glad Seasteads can't be spammed anymore. It was such a mindless and cheesy way of boosting cities late game.

For the 3 turns the game had left, you mean.

You can search for resources! That alone makes the patch incredible.

THANK GOD. URANIUM, HERE I INVADE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the patch be compatible with the current saves? We play currently a MP game during several weekly sessios.
I play Agypt, so that might to lead to conflicats.
If you aren't using mods, patches usually don't break saves (but occasionally do). You might get some yield weirdness with Egypt, but it probably won't be game-breaking.

With mods, it depends on how much the patch messes with files that the mods affect, so no predictions from me there.

With the changes to Norway I would use Steam in offline mode till your current game is finished, these are the kind of changes that tend to screwup saves.

Moar coastal lowlands :woohoo::crazyeye::hammer2:
I can understand that your pissed dissapointed about the fact that there will be more coastal lowlands, which is disadvantageous for coast-focused civs (especially England), but then again, I also think they toned it down on how fast sea level rises.
You also mentioned that flood barriers now take a lot more production to build (since they scale with amount of coastal lowland tiles), maybe a solution to this would be stepwise implementation of flood barriers: first time you build flood barriers they only shield the tiles with the highest risk of getting flooded (less tiles -> less production). Then if you build flood barriers again also level 2 tiles are shielded and so on. Maybe you don't even have to prevent level 3 tiles from being flooded at all (since everybody is very eco-friendly)
Anyway, this would give you the possibility to fine tune cost vs gain on flood barriers and coastal lowland tiles.

@Turrdy
I had a coastal city today that was hit by floods as one would expect just to get my floodplain back to its old stats. Then hit by drought because I had not bought an aqueduct. I do have some grassland nearby so am looking forward to a twister or two to blow away the hurricanes.
The trouble is I am going for a CV and have no coal. This means other nations have the coal and I do not have the science.
I used to think climate gave flavour, I have now changed my mind. I personally think it’s just gone a step too far to be enjoyable anymore because when I start and see coastal lowlands I get the opposite feeling to wanting to settle next to a volcano. Something is twisted here and it’s not the tornadoes.

It is this feeling I get when I start a game that I hate, I now just want to turn off the game and do something else because all I see playing my favourite civ is negative. Probably it is just me so I apologise. I have been waiting, I was really hoping in GS they would put Harbors in a sane place. Perhaps I have waited long enough.

Last edited:
I’m curious to see how the changes to Climate will work.

I have to be honest, I almost never have any issues with it in the MP games I play with my friends when I’m Phonecia.

I’m generally in the top 3 for science so I always hit flood barriers before climate change becomes an issue. Also it’s generally fairly easy to settle on tiles where it isn’t going to flood (granted that may change with the extra 10% incoming). Given that the sea level rises are going to be even slower though, I don’t see it causing me any issues (again, this is limited to me playing against my friends in MP). And the military units are usually the biggest offenders (for us anyway, we rarely build power plants etc because it doesn’t generally feel worth it...), so those being halved feels like it will help a lot.

My only issue with the coast is that it’s quite random. I’ve had some games where it feels pretty underwhelming, and other games where it feels possibly too strong. In my current game, we are in turn 119 and my 6 Cothons are all giving 8 science, 8 gold, 8 production and 2 culture, and my coastal resource tiles are all giving 4 prod, 4 food and 2-4 gold etc. However, this requires a bit of luck with pantheons and city states etc. I wish that some of these bonuses were baked into the core coast, to make a little more consistent.

I suppose though, if climate change really becomes an issue, there is the option to tone it down?

Also it’s generally fairly easy to settle on tiles where it isn’t going to flood (granted that may change with the extra 10% incoming). Given that the sea level rises are going to be even slower though, I don’t see it causing me any issues

Somewhat odd that you don't recognize the value of Iron at the beginning of the game and therefore can't see it on the map, but you can recognize the potential for future global warming to flood a coastal tile long before you know what CO2 is.

I can understand that your pissed dissapointed about the fact that there will be more coastal lowlands, which is disadvantageous for coast-focused civs (especially England), but then again, I also think they toned it down on how fast sea level rises.
You also mentioned that flood barriers now take a lot more production to build (since they scale with amount of coastal lowland tiles), maybe a solution to this would be stepwise implementation of flood barriers: first time you build flood barriers they only shield the tiles with the highest risk of getting flooded (less tiles -> less production). Then if you build flood barriers again also level 2 tiles are shielded and so on. Maybe you don't even have to prevent level 3 tiles from being flooded at all (since everybody is very eco-friendly)
Anyway, this would give you the possibility to fine tune cost vs gain on flood barriers and coastal lowland tiles.

Flood barriers will take more production but climate change will happen later and take longer to get each stage, at least in theory, so you will have more time to build before the cost start to increase when the tiles flood. If the patch succeed in pushing climate change further into the game, I think any player that think ahead will have an easy time building barriers in time.

Flood barriers will take more production but climate change will happen later and take longer to get each stage, at least in theory, so you will have more time to build before the cost start to increase when the tiles flood. If the patch succeed in pushing climate change further into the game, I think any player that think ahead will have an easy time building barriers in time.

Flood Barriers need to give bonuses.

Beyond avoiding loss of tiles and associated yields? What further bonuses are you thinking about? I could see something green-power-related (treat flood barriers akin to dams, capturing tidal power or some such rationale).
I could actually see housing too, as people can build where they couldn't before.

I actually think the whole point with flood barriers is that they have to be a "bad" investment in the sense that the only thing they do is protect your land from flooding, and at a high cost. I think that's fine as it is, if they get the timing fixed, that is.

I actually think the whole point with flood barriers is that they have to be a "bad" investment in the sense that the only thing they do is protect your land from flooding, and at a high cost. I think that's fine as it is, if they get the timing fixed, that is.
Yeah, I get that. The realism part inside wants to know why it's easier to execute a trip to the moon than it is to build a wall. :D

Fixing the timing between coastal flooding is definitely a good thing (as is increasing the amount of tiles which can flood). Right now the best strategy was to beeline computers and build floodbarriers in advance before sea levels rose. Now you can afford to wait a bit longer if you want to save the tiles.

I love that they made the Netherlands more flexible in that regard as well. They can now choose between building cheaper flood barriers or letting the lands flood for more polders.

Flood Barriers would be fine if coastal and inland cities were balanced. However, coastal cities are much worse, and the flood barriers only exacerbate this.
Beyond avoiding loss of tiles and associated yields? What further bonuses are you thinking about? I could see something green-power-related (treat flood barriers akin to dams, capturing tidal power or some such rationale).
I could actually see housing too, as people can build where they couldn't before.

A general housing and production buff would be nice.

Flood Barriers would be fine if coastal and inland cities were balanced. However, coastal cities are much worse, and the flood barriers only exacerbate this.

A general housing and production buff would be nice.
Or they could go the other way and put additional yields on those +1,2,3 flood zones. That would make people want to take the risk and settle there.

Top Bottom