Paul Pelosi attack

FTR, I also don't have much sympathy for him. Or, if I do, it's suppressed nearly immediately. There are about one billion people ahead of him in line. So, if I do feel sympathy, I find that I quickly push it back into its appropriate place in line. Suggesting that I push it forward, out of order, seems to be performative
Exactly

There could also be a different conception of sympathy here. I think it's obvious that I'm sorting into some level of priority, where the emotion motivates action. And then there's the knee-jerk "huh, it's sad that his life hurts more than it should". They're different concepts.

Yeah, looking through, I am more certain of this. Unlike Amazon Queen, I definitely see 'expressions of sympathy' from Narz. And, conversely, that he's not going to spend emotional effort.

The difference seems to be the idea that sympathy motivates action. "I won't shed a tear" will come across to some as "that's not a bad thing" but to others it means "I won't spend emotional effort on it". And, obviously, overlap when people are being unclear.

To me, 'thoughts and prayers' are performative (and I think 'vibes' are the same thing, and people don't realize). Or, at least often so. Often not. ( "That sucks" vs "I should help".) We seem to think that righteousness is in the feeling sad about something, whereas others think that righteousness is in the being motivated to act. I've often written about how we'll act on harms, but weight harms differently based on the source of those harms.

We tolerate the suffering from Alzheimer's at a scale completely out-of-whack with what we'd tolerate if it were caused by an identified person. A serial killer occasionally playing Russian Roulette with the frontal lobes of elderly women would cause people to lose their minds. We're about to watch the Boomer women enter the phase of their lives where they're abandoned en masse, except by their daughters. "Oh, here's a quarter for the collection jar". Puhlease.

Roughly 400 Canadian women get diagnosed with Alzheimer's per day. Aside from the discussion as to whether Paul is necessary collateral in a necessary revolution or even getting just desserts, if someone views sympathy as a 'resource to be spent' then it boggles how he'd make the list of effort. But, if someone doesn't mean 'sympathy' in such ways, it will seem very weird if I say I don't have sympathy for him.

Historically, I've pushed back against this style of political violence less because I was spending emotional energy on the victim, but more that I don't think that the trendline of the conversation degrading ends well. And even then, reasonable people will ask if it's better to rip a bandaid slowly or quickly.

Last edited:
You can say a few words

The body is not healthy hence its suspectabity to parasites.

Clearly hammer weilding idiots arent the answer to the problem.

There are others here who call for violent revolution and mass jailing of political opponents tho.

I'm not embodying that kind of thinking.
you aren't, your words were. infact, you're half doubling down here on the biopolitical phrasing.

(again, not trying to trounce, just trying to explain)

Last edited:
Yeah, looking through, I am more certain of this. Unlike Amazon Queen, I definitely see 'expressions of sympathy' from Narz. And, conversely, that he's not going to spend emotional effort.

The difference seems to be the idea that sympathy motivates action. "I won't shed a tear" will come across to some as "that's not a bad thing" but to others it means "I won't spend emotional effort on it". And, obviously, overlap when people are being unclear.

To me, 'thoughts and prayers' are performative (and I think 'vibes' are the same thing, and people don't realize). Or, at least often so. Often not. ( "That sucks" vs "I should help".) We seem to think that righteousness is in the feeling sad about something, whereas others think that righteousness is in the being motivated to act. I've often written about how we'll act on harms, but weight harms differently based on the source of those harms.

Roughly 400 Canadian women get diagnosed with Alzheimer's per day. Aside from the discussion as to whether Paul is necessary collateral in a necessary revolution or even getting just desserts, if someone views sympathy as a 'resource to be spent' then it boggles how he'd make the list of effort. But, if someone doesn't mean 'sympathy' in such ways, it will seem very weird if I say I don't have sympathy for him.

Historically, I've pushed back against this style of political violence less because I spent emotional energy on the victim, but more that I don't think that the trendline of the conversation degrading ends well. And even then, reasonable people will ask if it's better to rip a bandaid slowly or quickly.
Sympathy is an emotional response, not a resource to be doled out.
True, compassion fatigue is a thing, but its not something you can control.

Sympathy is an emotional response, not a resource to be doled out.
True, compassion fatigue is a thing, but its not something you can control.
Can't directly control it but as I've gotten older it's gotten easier to not let my heartstrings get pulled by every lil thing

I realized that's your definition. I've no interest in debating the definition - I think people mean different things, and that's my insight. If someone thinks of it as a tier list of "things deserving action", then their statements seem monstrous to those who think of it the other way. Conversely, if people use it the other way, then people who think of it as motivating action can easily see the other person as hypocritical or having misplaced priorities.

Last edited:
don't know much about paul pelosi. his wife is really annoying

this attack was unwarranted, and i'd have been fine with the assailant being handled more roughly.

as noted in op, you can only count on other people to protect you so much. law enforcement's function is in the title. they will (sometimes) enforce the law, but in many states they have no obligation to risk themselves to protect others. the person most interested in protecting you is you, or if you're lucky then maybe also some close relatives/friends at most. but most of them usually aren't on hand in situations like this either, and even if they are they might not be capable of doing it.

Not too familiar with the story. Tim Pool did a video on the situation and a lot of things didn't seem to really make sense in the way the media or the police rolled out the story. Seems like they would have a lot of footage between officer body cameras and security footage that would clear up the confusion if everything was on the up and up with what they are telling the public.

My heart goes out to anyone who gets their head caved in or is a victim of violence. Even the guilty. Human pain and suffering is a tragedy even when justified.

Tom Hanks was on Pelosi attack suspect hit list, court hears​

The man accused of a hammer attack on the husband of House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi also wanted to target other public figures, including actor Tom Hanks, a court has heard.
A police officer who interviewed David DePape told the hearing that President Joe Biden's son Hunter and Democratic California Governor Gavin Newsom were also on the suspect's "hit list".
Mr DePape is facing six charges, including attempted murder, for the 28 October incident. He pleaded not guilty to all counts last month.
At the end of Wednesday's nearly four-hour hearing, San Francisco Superior Court Judge Stephen Murphy ruled there was enough evidence for the trial to proceed.

Officers testified about how they responded to the attack on Paul Pelosi at the family home in the California city.
According to prosecutors, the defendant had planned to hold Mrs Pelosi hostage, but she was in Washington DC at the time.

The emergency call placed by Mr Pelosi, 82, was played to the court.
According to KRON4 News, the 911 audio suggested Mr Pelosi did not know Mr DePape.
The dispatcher asked: "Do you know who the person is?"
"No, I don't know who he is," Mr Pelosi responded.
Police Sgt Kyle Cagney testified that he had arrived at the house seconds before Mr DePape swung the hammer on to Mr Pelosi's head, cracking his skull.
The officer displayed the weapon to the court.

The court also saw police body camera footage in which officers directed the suspect to drop the hammer, before he said "Uh, nope" and bludgeoned Mr Pelosi.
Sgt Carla Hurley testified that she had interviewed the suspect for over an hour on the day of his arrest.
She told the court of Mr DePape's alleged hit list, but did not say whether police had any evidence of such a plot.
Sgt Hurley quoted Mr DePape as saying: "There is evil in Washington, what they did went so far beyond the campaign. It originates with Hillary [Clinton].
"Honestly, day in day out, they are lying. They go from one crime to another crime to another crime."
Mr DePape attended the court wearing an orange prison jumpsuit. One of the Pelosis' five adult children, Christine Pelosi, also attended.

Police have previously said Mr DePape told them he was on a "suicide mission" when he smashed in the glass backdoor of the Pelosi home in the upmarket Pacific Heights neighbourhood.
Mr DePape is scheduled to be back in court for a formal reading of the charges on 28 December.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63981507

We seem to think that righteousness is in the feeling sad about something
From a bad book of (American)German Humor that my wife absolutely adored*, having married into it:

When do normal people throw away an item? When they've gotten their use out of it. This is not how a (American, and I'll stop typing it now)German behaves. They throw an item away when they've gotten their requisite suffering out of it. For example, a towel that's been washed so many times it's threadbare and doesn't properly dry you after a shower anymore. A normal person will have gotten their use out of the item, will throw it away or make a rag out of it, and get a new towel. A German will keep using the threadbare towel that doesn't dry them properly until whenever they feel they've gotten enough suffering out of it to stop. Only then will they not go to Hell for being wasteful.

You'll note, though, in the joke - at least - somebody is getting longer use out of the towel with action. It's not all vapid talk.

*Mostly to irritate my mother and I, I think!

Not too familiar with the story. Tim Pool did a video on the situation and a lot of things didn't seem to really make sense in the way the media or the police rolled out the story. Seems like they would have a lot of footage between officer body cameras and security footage that would clear up the confusion if everything was on the up and up with what they are telling the public.

My heart goes out to anyone who gets their head caved in or is a victim of violence. Even the guilty. Human pain and suffering is a tragedy even when justified.
there was some conspiracy theory formed over mainstream media misreporting the sequence of events/how casual pelosi was during the attack. given the back story/history of the attacker/previous involvements, it seems very unlikely that either of the pelosis invited him there or let him in willingly though. it looks like the news just got the story wrong outright, which is in contrast much less surprising.

Top Bottom