PBEM THE GREAT WAR - Div Level

I wish I had positive remarks about my play....I guess I did as well as the French could or did. And considering the Western Front was manned totally by the French without British troops in the trenches...I guess I did ok.

It was just very frustrating to get the second tier of techs and then when we redid that save...all of them were lost.

Sending the French Med Fleet to pummel sites in the middle east was a waste of time..and ships! That was just bad play on my part. But frankly..I just never had a clue where my fleet was needed until this last turn when I took over Italy!! Then there was this huge herken fleet and I couldn't get there to stop the landings in Sicily...

I was preparing an attack force to attempt a break through in northern France...Had amassed 10 A Divisions and 5 Rs. Was trying desperately to keep from throwing them into the lines......But then when I took over Italy and saw that AH troops were already on the southern France border....well it was done.

The Axis side did benefit from continuity of play that the Allies didn't. France and Russia fought isolated on their fronts. And the Brits never really got into the ground war in France. And Zepps ruled Supreme!

But the underlying problem I found was the extreme lengths of time in between turns. Takes away from the momentum of the game. That's one thing solo games don't lack.

Again Kudos to the Victors!! Well Done!
Sully

Well, not much I know about how you played as I never really fought you, except of course some naval fights far from your bases.

But apparently your team did indeed lack coordination. That is difficult when the game is slow to prepare long-term attacks that's true.

Zeppelins are too much of a game breaker... from what I heard and from my experience in another former game.

I wish I had positive remarks about my play....I guess I did as well as the French could or did. And considering the Western Front was manned totally by the French without British troops in the trenches...I guess I did ok.

It was just very frustrating to get the second tier of techs and then when we redid that save...all of them were lost.

Sending the French Med Fleet to pummel sites in the middle east was a waste of time..and ships! That was just bad play on my part. But frankly..I just never had a clue where my fleet was needed until this last turn when I took over Italy!! Then there was this huge herken fleet and I couldn't get there to stop the landings in Sicily...

I was preparing an attack force to attempt a break through in northern France...Had amassed 10 A Divisions and 5 Rs. Was trying desperately to keep from throwing them into the lines......But then when I took over Italy and saw that AH troops were already on the southern France border....well it was done.

The Axis side did benefit from continuity of play that the Allies didn't. France and Russia fought isolated on their fronts. And the Brits never really got into the ground war in France. And Zepps ruled Supreme!

But the underlying problem I found was the extreme lengths of time in between turns. Takes away from the momentum of the game. That's one thing solo games don't lack.

Again Kudos to the Victors!! Well Done!
Sully

Yes, too bad that you lost those techs! We screwed up badly with the emails in the first turns. I also lost some of my initial victories against russian armies I believe... Not as important as loosing techs though

Wich cities in northern france did you have attack plans for?

I was afraid you were gonna threaten Calais(my big naval base) with a huge amount of troops so I had to abandon it. It was impossible for me to preserve the roads leading to the city and therefore hard to defend.
Maybe France should have been more offensive when they saw that Russia was being eaten alive? I dont know....

I agree that too much time inbetween turns was a major problem. Hard to remember what you´re units are doing...

I kinda agree on Sully that it was the better teamwork that made central powers win the day. For example, the first major attack on russian front was very very closely coordinated between me and drendor to ensure the encirclement would work perfectly. Also, drendor was providing me money nearly every turn, which allowed me to inspect enemy cities which in turn directly effected my attack plans. I did not attack a single city before I was SURE what it contained.

In my view, entente should have given british forces much stronger role in northern france, or in italy. Italy should've warned rest of the entente when my navy annihilated italian counterpart completely at bari, so that french fleet could've stopped me.

As for scenario itself, yes i agree that investing in research is pointless and that zeps are way way overpowered. As for railroads... yes they are also kinda overpowered. however, it will be truly painful for large countries (russia & ottomans) to play when it takes 10+ turns for their reinforcements to arrive from production centers to the frontline. So in that sence, it would be better to keep railroads... but on the other hand it makes sudden attacks nearly impossible since enemy can bring their whole army to welcome enemy attack.

I really enjoyed the game and I hope we will get on with new fixed version asap! I'm already claiming france ;)

Edit: oh and airfields. Overpowered. None of us really used those to the full potential, but for example those allowed british to transport forces quickly to middle east to fight against ottomans. Air transporting wasnt really feasible during this time of history, after all they had only zeppelins and small planes to act as fighters. But i suppose this goes into same category with railroads.

And then there are the gas weapons. We never got around to using those, but just by looking those stats i can tell that they are way, way, way overpowered. 2-3 tile range, massive bombard value, LEATHAL, and cheap. These should be nerfed in pretty much every regard. Historically, gas was spread by shooting gas-filled shells out of artillery pieces. Thus, their range should be same as artillery, 1 (max 2) tiles. Bombard values, although high, could be kept as they are in my opinion, maybe slightly reduced. But leathal bombardment is big no-no. Oh yes, gas was very deadly if you breathed it at all, but it didnt take long for both centrals and entente to develope gas-masks, which were very effective in protecting soldiers from gas. After masks were introduced to the basic equipments of the regular soldier, gas became just a weapon amongst others, not much deadlier than normal grenades shot with artillery.

Yes that's a frequent problem I have with Rocoteh's scenarii. Focusing on unit diversity and some well-know special things of this or that war, but often in a "reputation" way... IMHO.

Great observations Andis!

As to Drendor...Yes..I wanted to attack Calais. But it took time for me to build an attack force comprised mainly from NA.

That was because I felt forced to augment the defensive line from Nancy to Besacon. I mean..you had two stacks of 40+ units supported by bunches of arty.

On the plus side..the Germans never really punctured the French lines. But the flip side was...it was hard for me to form a mobile attack stack of sufficient force in which to strike at Calais.

I actually had 17 Infantry units at the time of giving up. I had planned to use this as a strike force. But when I played that Italy turn...I saw that the "underbelly" of France was threatened. It was a case of too few too late.

Frankly...The Brits never were a force on the mainland nor in the game. Couldn't get them to coordinate attacks. Luthor was great giving me money which I used on techs then lost on the resave/play turn. But I just never had a feel as to what Britain was doing.

What is amazing it that we started this game in 2005 and several of us stuck to it for the duration. That is something!
Thanks everyone.
Sully

It's over, heim? Now that Britain (finnally) got the American tech?

Congratulations to the victors!

I'm up for another game, but with the 1.6 version, with some additional balancing.

Necromancer is here.

So, is there still interest for new game? If we play, I've taken the liberty to modify the old .biq for better gamebalance. List of changes so far:

- Flamethrower unit removed from everyone except germany, french and british.
- Leathal bombardment removed from zeppelin. Bombing strenght halved, production cost increased by 50%.
- Attack strenght dramatically increased for italian, russian, austrian and turkish A/R infantry. This is to make normal infantry actually useful, and to encourage more offensive warfare between weaker countries. The change also gives them a slight chance against big powers.
- german machine gun now costs 200 shields (same as entente/alliance guns).
- Max. research time reduced to 16. (subject to change, I really want your feedback on the research part).

Other changes I've done:
- Railroads unbuildable
- airports/airfields unbuildable
- the gas weapons range/bombard strenght reduced, leathal bombardment removed

@ Lou, one of your allies can then play your turn, it's not that big problem :)

I've currently remodded the 1.4 version. I can do it with 1.6 too, but it will mean lots of work tho. I'll start modifying the 1.6 file :p

Top Bottom