pbemtracker alert

No, I think it's still malfunctioning, nobody fixed it :(

What do you think of we hire an IT Professional to create a new pbem tracker? We could to contribute to remunerate the professional for his work!

No need for compensation, I could have a go. I need to do something like this as part of a serious current job-hunting effort.

Probably it will take some time. If anyone has a clear idea of what needs to be done, without the time to actually do it, I can perform the grunt work.

The main part would be to automatically send along an uploaded file. Once you set up a game all you need to do is compare game name and player to the ones in the file name and send out an email.

Let me have a think and I'll write this up in more detail.

Thanks - actually it's not so much the functional spec input I'm looking for - I'm ok with that.

I have an extensive sql and scripting background, mainly corporate enterprise server stuff - but not Javascript and MySQL which I would be looking to do this in, as part of building a first website.

I understand there might be better or more productive options, for example PHP or something, but Javascript is my prime driver right now.

Cant help you with that I'm sad to say, my knowledge in building websites goes barely beyond setting up a static site.

I just toyed with the general way a tracker would need to work over the past week or so.

I just signed up to a free hosting service, and now have to go through the learning curve from scratch of mysql, php, and setting up a website. Also thinking about a data model where game owners could sort out their own players list changes without needing admin intervention - although that feels a little premature and presumptive right now.

Let's hope I can manage this before Civ 7 comes out...

Edits:
Current progress: built a LAMPstack

- although that feels a little premature and presumptive right now.

Better to build it with all features in mind, adding them later seems like a bad idea if you need to rebuild the whole system from scratch to add it.

If we are on the topic of game admins controls, an option to end a game for the admin would be great. I dont think the old tracker had an option to end a game manually. Leaving the last player with a waiting turn for all time.

Not sure what is required to be honest. I imagine its more complicated because its a Mod.

Top Bottom