1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

pbemtracker alert

Discussion in 'Civ4 - PBEM Games' started by bathsheba666, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

No, I think it's still malfunctioning, nobody fixed it :(

2. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

That will teach me to get my hopes up. :-(

3. Luthor_Saxburg

Luthor_Saxburg Vassal of Civilization

No... Getting hopes up is what makes the world a better place! :)

4. Phylhom

Phylhom King

What do you think of we hire an IT Professional to create a new pbem tracker? We could to contribute to remunerate the professional for his work!

5. bathsheba666

bathsheba666 Fast 'n Bulbous

No need for compensation, I could have a go. I need to do something like this as part of a serious current job-hunting effort.

Probably it will take some time. If anyone has a clear idea of what needs to be done, without the time to actually do it, I can perform the grunt work.

6. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

The main part would be to automatically send along an uploaded file. Once you set up a game all you need to do is compare game name and player to the ones in the file name and send out an email.

Let me have a think and I'll write this up in more detail.

7. bathsheba666

Thanks - actually it's not so much the functional spec input I'm looking for - I'm ok with that.

I have an extensive sql and scripting background, mainly corporate enterprise server stuff - but not Javascript and MySQL which I would be looking to do this in, as part of building a first website.

I understand there might be better or more productive options, for example PHP or something, but Javascript is my prime driver right now.

8. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

Cant help you with that I'm sad to say, my knowledge in building websites goes barely beyond setting up a static site.

I just toyed with the general way a tracker would need to work over the past week or so.

9. bathsheba666

I just signed up to a free hosting service, and now have to go through the learning curve from scratch of mysql, php, and setting up a website. Also thinking about a data model where game owners could sort out their own players list changes without needing admin intervention - although that feels a little premature and presumptive right now.

Let's hope I can manage this before Civ 7 comes out...

Edits:
    Current progress: built a LAMPstack

10. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

Better to build it with all features in mind, adding them later seems like a bad idea if you need to rebuild the whole system from scratch to add it.

If we are on the topic of game admins controls, an option to end a game for the admin would be great. I dont think the old tracker had an option to end a game manually. Leaving the last player with a waiting turn for all time.

11. ruff_hi

ruff_hi Live 4ever! Or die trying

12. Luthor_Saxburg

Luthor_Saxburg Vassal of Civilization

Yes, please! :D

What do we need to do?

13. ruff_hi

ruff_hi Live 4ever! Or die trying

Read this thread at Realms Beyond ... posts #2 and #11 are the critical ones.

I'm happy to work with you to a) set it up and b) write some 'how to set it up' commentary.

14. Phylhom

Phylhom King

No progress here?

15. Hercules90

Hercules90 Deity

Not sure what is required to be honest. I imagine its more complicated because its a Mod.