PerfectWorld3

Kinda works the same way every Mod is activated/installed when your ingame-Modbrowser does not work:

1) Download the file "perfectworld_3_v_1.civ5mod" from CFC's databas, save anywhere on your harddisk.
2) Open that file using WinRar/7-zip, then extract both files you see ("PerfectWorld3(v1).modinfo" and "Perfectworld.lua")
3) Copy both files to the folder "X:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS" -- basically the place where all your other mods and mapscripts are located at
4) Activate the mod/mapscript ingame

-------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for providing another great looking mapscript for the community :)

Ah great, thanks for making that so easy on me. :)

D'oh... I should've known you wouldn't post in the PW2 thread to let me know this was out lol. At least you can meet your own deadlines Ceph... I never seem to be able to. ;)

My plan will be to steal all your landmass, moisture and altitude code from this, and leave the river, feature and resource placement stuff (and the random number generation obviously) in PW2 alone as-is... sound good?

Anyway, thanks a bunch for making this, and have fun with real-life soon. :)

I like this script.
One request - could you use all continents art style? And not only to specific area (African/American deserts). Europe is nice, but I would like to see more diversity.

I like this script.
One request - could you use all continents art style? And not only to specific area (African/American deserts). Europe is nice, but I would like to see more diversity.

I was originally going to do that, but I really think that the America set with it's orange trees is just ghastly. Asia looks like Europe but with the same brown mountains from the Africa set that seem specifically suited to desert. Africa is interesting, but I think it is more difficult to see what is plains and what is grassland.

To me, the Europe set is the most funcitonal and the only one that doesn't have significant problems.

Any chance on making it an option, if even just a variable to set in the script? I actually agree with all your observations, but I really like a bit of variety.

It would be great to maybe have it use the current rules for the "largest continent" generation, so that what you'd see most of the game, but use the other tile sets for "new world" continents or offshore islands.

I was originally going to do that, but I really think that the America set with it's orange trees is just ghastly. Asia looks like Europe but with the same brown mountains from the Africa set that seem specifically suited to desert. Africa is interesting, but I think it is more difficult to see what is plains and what is grassland.

To me, the Europe set is the most funcitonal and the only one that doesn't have significant problems.

But it would still be nice to just have a version with it (or a drop-down box ingame, "Mix environment sets" vs "Default seperate environment per continent").

I mean, just basically taking out the code that mixes the continent sets, and keeping the vanilla, one continent with the africa set, another with the europe set, etc.

I really loved that in the vanilla maps, that each continent had its own flavor, it'd be a true shame if the best mapscript out there (this one) wouldnt support it because the author dislikes the orange trees :)

I'm sure you could keep a private "orange trees removed" version :)
Right now i'm torn, i absolutely love this mapscript, the terrain, rivers, mountains, everything, but i also absolutely love the coherent continent texture themes of the other mapscripts / vanilla.
Anyway, thats just my +2 :c5influence:

One more thing: could you implement option to create world, as it make Terra Incognita script? Or maybe more scripts - like Pangea or something?

And it could be usefull if you include information, that size of the world is bigger than most standard map scripts use (something like note under Terra script)

One more thing: could you implement option to create world, as it make Terra Incognita script? Or maybe more scripts - like Pangea or something?

And it could be usefull if you include information, that size of the world is bigger than most standard map scripts use (something like note under Terra script)

I think that trying to make a single mapscript for all people is kindof like writing a song for all people. Too much versatility and the work as a whole is likely to suffer. I don't wanna end up with some crazy Jimi Hendrix-Bing Crosby-Vanilla Ice medley. I have no desire to attempt to eliminate the need for other map scripts.

I'm trying to create a certain atmosphere. To remove people from their comfort zone and what they are used to doing.

For the next version I'll mix up the continent styles, as in that case I was kindof on the fence, and several people have expressed a desire for it. Also, I'm going to move the size down a bit because its really too big for the default game settings.

Well done cephalo, I am having a lot of fun on this map, and it looks great. Why aren't you working for Firaxis yet :D

I may have asked this before, but have you considered using the continents to communicate differences in altitude/moisture/temperature/etc?

It seems to me that you could consider it as a replacement for the loss of the taiga graphic.

I've rendered quite a few maps with this script now and I have two comments:

1. It seems like the script goes a bit overboard when creating mountains...while they can be fun and add a good deal of tactical value, it can be a pain when you start in what is essentially a maze of mountains.

2. In line with the mountains, it also seems like the script goes a little wild when making rivers. I especially don't like the 1-tile long rivers that chop up the coast and just impede movement with little benefit.

Just my 2:c5gold:. :)

1. It seems like the script goes a bit overboard when creating mountains...while they can be fun and add a good deal of tactical value, it can be a pain when you start in what is essentially a maze of mountains.

2. In line with the mountains, it also seems like the script goes a little wild when making rivers. I especially don't like the 1-tile long rivers that chop up the coast and just impede movement with little benefit.

Gotta say I agree with these observations; is there any way you could "borrow" some of the code from Tectonics to make the mountain ranges a little more logical?

To follow up on my previous post, I tried an old world start with two extra civs, and ended up surrounded by eight of them on a very small continent! Next time I'll try one or the other, I suppose.

If you do not plan on adding terrain/rainfall options in the startup menu, could you outline some basic ranges of values in the lua? I have no idea if changing a value by, say, .01 is a big leap or a tiny step. It would be appreciated.:)

I may have asked this before, but have you considered using the continents to communicate differences in altitude/moisture/temperature/etc?

It seems to me that you could consider it as a replacement for the loss of the taiga graphic.

I've looked at my options here, and really there isn't much that I can use to communicate what I'm trying to communicate. The tree graphics are all basically the same except the bright orange trees from the America set, which I guess are supposed to communicate a season rather than a climate, although really what makes autumn colors beautiful are the mix of reds, yellows and oranges. I confess I've never seen a forest that was just uniformly glowing orange.

One thing I have to be careful of is to preserve a strong visual difference between plains and grassland. In RL of course there is no difference :D, but in Civ the difference is very important. If I use the different shades of grass color on the same continent I risk obscuring the game rules.

These are two things I struggled with alot. I could if I wanted to, make the mountain ranges alot cleaner. There are advantages to that, but I do like some randomness in this regard. Its a difficult balance to acheive consistently. The problem is that the way I'm generating the mountains is hard to control. If you want less mountains, you can control that with the variables at the beginning of the script.

Because the rivers are mostly generated from the amount of rainfall, its difficult to prevent those one off river segments while sticking to the rules. This can happen anywhere, but in wetter regions it is especially common because it only takes a one or two tile watershed to get a river started. I would have to make an exception to the rule and 'erase' rivers that only last one segment, but then I could lose that 'wet climate' info on long strips of land on the equator. I think these little rivers do alot to create that jungle atmosphere.

If you do not plan on adding terrain/rainfall options in the startup menu, could you outline some basic ranges of values in the lua? I have no idea if changing a value by, say, .01 is a big leap or a tiny step. It would be appreciated.:)

These threshold controls are all 'percentage' of land tiles. So a 0.01 change is one percent of the land tiles. Some thresholds are controlled from different directions (above this percent, below this percent etc.) which can be confusing, but the comments should be clear in this regard.

I actually like the one-tile rivers. If you look at a lot of rivers along the coast, many of them are very short on that same sort of scale, particularly in hilly areas. The hilly ones therefore are logical and expected, but the ones on flat terrain do look a bit odd. Maybe they could be converted to swamps instead if there's no elevation nearby?

I absolutely love the mountain ranges, but they're definitely a bit much. In my current game, there are three major mountain ranges that divide the main land mass. One or two would be fantastic, but going overboard has turned my map into a sort of giant disconnected maze that the AI can't really handle.

I've looked at my options here, and really there isn't much that I can use to communicate what I'm trying to communicate. The tree graphics are all basically the same except the bright orange trees from the America set, which I guess are supposed to communicate a season rather than a climate, although really what makes autumn colors beautiful are the mix of reds, yellows and oranges. I confess I've never seen a forest that was just uniformly glowing orange.

One thing I have to be careful of is to preserve a strong visual difference between plains and grassland. In RL of course there is no difference :D, but in Civ the difference is very important. If I use the different shades of grass color on the same continent I risk obscuring the game rules.

hmm, well then I'm going to have to throw in yet another personal preference to this thread regarding continent graphics.

It seems to be a pretty subjective issue.

(Maybe I'll just modify mine locally and play around with it myself...)

Ok, I did some experiments with the different continent art sets tonight, and I want to explain an issue I'm having with jungles. Jungles are a 'feature' that add 2 food to the underlying tile. They are designed to be placed on plains for some reason. That's not a big problem, except on hills. The big problem with jungle hills that you can see the underlying yellow grass that gives an appearance of dry brush. It does not look like jungle at all. The dark green leaves over dry grass looks like Manzanita bushes. Manzanita bushes are all over southern California, and they are the kind of plant that if you light them with a match, by the time the fire department arrives you've burned a million acres of the stuff. It's basically a desert shrub with a high drought tolerance.

If I try to place jungle on a grassland hill instead of a plains hill, we end up with this super powered 3 food hill, which is outside the rules of the game and likely diminished gameplay.

So in order to avoid having these dry looking hills in regions that are supposed to be rainforest, I have to use the grassland forest on a hill, and the only art set that can depict a convincing rainforest hill this way is the Europe art set. All the other art styles look dry. The America set is the worst in this circumstance because of the orange trees. I don't even know what that looks like. Lollipops in Munchkinland I guess, I dunno.

So what I'm experimenting with right now is that if a continent has jungle on it, it uses the Europe art set. If not, than it randomly uses one of the others. The problem with this is that its fairly rare to have a major continent that uses any of the other art sets because it basically has to be clear of the equatorial zone.

Later I can try to use the Europe set for only jungle areas of heavy rain, but I'm not sure if that is going to work.

Top Bottom