Resource icon

PerfectWorld6 7

So in preparation for tomorrow, I found that in Expansion2_NamedPlaces.xml there are 259 river names. In most cases, it's more than I need even on huge map size. Good to know

So in preparation for tomorrow, I found that in Expansion2_NamedPlaces.xml there are 259 river names. In most cases, it's more than I need even on huge map size. Good to know
It is probably best to avoid forcing river names during map generation. Naming is normally added ingame according to which civ discovers the rivers first. The same goes for Deserts, Volcanoes and Mountains (which are all also in the Expansion2_NamedPlaces.xml file).

YnAMP set 315 river IDs for the Giant Earth, no related crashes.

Blegh! I finally found the cause of the crash. I did that allll day. My back is killing me and I wanna puke!:vomit:

So, there's a function called ApplyTerrain, where you combine plot types with terrain types that basically turns flat terrain into mountains and hills. I was doing a lot complicated stuff and I decided to do it twice just for good measure, but if you add the mountain delta to a mountain, you basically go into undefined territory. I was getting these funky lakes that I didn't add, that I believe were also messing up the river system graphics that I complained about earlier.

bedtime.

EDIT: This was also confusing my thinking about the river system a great deal, so I don't know if there are any consequences of having too many rivers etc. I will work on that tomorrow.

Happy to see you've made some headway! Thanks for all your hard work on this, Cephalo. This, Detailed Worlds, and Gedemon's Terra are simply the best map scripts for Civ 6.

YnAMP set 315 river IDs for the Giant Earth, no related crashes.

Are you finding a lot of repeated names? This river ID requirement has exposed a lot of bugs in my river code that were invisible before, such as rivers in the ocean, but another thing I'm getting is one river name all over the place. It could be because they haven't been discovered, and I'm taking a shortcut with 'reveal all'? Maybe the system breaks if my civ is the one that discovers ALL the rivers in the world?

EDIT: Another problem I'm seeing is that besides a few minor bugs, my river system is IDng rivers like I expected. The tooltip is showing river names for the rivers that I defined, however, the map labels are using an entirely different system, and not at all matching up with what the tooltip says.

Last edited:
I had the one river name issue (and above oceans) when I've set the same ID for all rivers.

IDK how to make the game register mountain and desert names. And I don't think we can control directly anything related to the naming system, except by completely overriding the new overlay file.

I have found that mountain ranges and deserts are named appropriately so far without my involvement.

If I completely replace my river system with the default one, everything works great, which tells that I am doing something it can't handle. Also, the default river system looks darn good on PW. I don't think it used to look that good. I need to up my game in general to make something better.

Finally! I have the river system working. It was extremely difficult! The new river labeling system is extremely sensitive, and my old river code was full of bugs. I didn't care about that before because they looked good, but now I had to care about them.

Anyway the results are pretty stupendous. The rivers look better than ever, and you can adjust the minimum river length along with the amount of rivers.

That was the hard part, but there is still lots of work to do though. I still have to place volcanoes and fissures, and some assorted tweaks and testing.

I have a quick question, do people without the expac get the river names and the volcanoes etc with the patch? I would like to make this map backward compatible if I can.

no they don't get names and volcanoes.

It seems that the second argument (the riverID) passed to the function adding rivers is just ignored when vanilla is running so you can use the same method for rivers placement for every version of the game.

but volcanoes (and other new features or calling the floodplain or lowland placement functions) will require some conditions, either directly in your map script, or by having multiple scripts and a .modinfo with criteria to define which one will be used.

I wonder if I can test if g_FEATURE_VOLCANO ~= nil and then do a couple of GS things. All the other stuff so far should be good. That's what I did with reefs.

EDIT: By the way how is the game? Has anyone had a chance to play?

By the way how is the game? Has anyone had a chance to play?

This extension is very good I think, I don't really see anything missing now that tunnels and canals are here, perhaps we will have a ice-breaker ship for 50$ more :) and, when they will have something else than money in mind the return of some non-political correct historical events like colonies for example.

Last edited:
Can someone point me in the direction of how to enable flooding on custom maps (via world builder). I've drawn the connection to the lack of named rivers in said custom maps, even standard firaxis generated maps without any alterations have this issue when played as a custom map. I'm also wondering, Cephalo, if the code you've created for this mod is applied to custom maps as a whole (as it pertains to flooding, not too concerned with river names, just as long as they flood, although I suspect these are connected issues). Really hope Firaxis figures this out in a patch or something, kind of surprised they didn't anticipate this or bother to even check to see if one of their most advertised features could work with world builder, not to mention all the other oversights. I'm hoping perhaps that this is my own ineptitude and there's a perfectly simple solution, I've scoured the forums and this and the YnAMP threads are the only ones addressing it.

I wonder if I can test if g_FEATURE_VOLCANO ~= nil and then do a couple of GS things. All the other stuff so far should be good. That's what I did with reefs.

EDIT: By the way how is the game? Has anyone had a chance to play?

Gathering Storm is awesome. The new civs are very interesting, the disasters are fun. The game feels like it got a huge injection of life.

Just seen one thing that may concern Perfectworld6, it's the Wonder named 'Le grand bain' (great bath? sorry I'm french) which reduce the effects of disaster for one complete river. Compatible with your management of the rivers?

Can someone point me in the direction of how to enable flooding on custom maps (via world builder). I've drawn the connection to the lack of named rivers in said custom maps, even standard firaxis generated maps without any alterations have this issue when played as a custom map. I'm also wondering, Cephalo, if the code you've created for this mod is applied to custom maps as a whole (as it pertains to flooding, not too concerned with river names, just as long as they flood, although I suspect these are connected issues). Really hope Firaxis figures this out in a patch or something, kind of surprised they didn't anticipate this or bother to even check to see if one of their most advertised features could work with world builder, not to mention all the other oversights. I'm hoping perhaps that this is my own ineptitude and there's a perfectly simple solution, I've scoured the forums and this and the YnAMP threads are the only ones addressing it.

Ok, I will tell you what I have found. The river naming system is very fragile. Making it work with worldbuilder would be an enormous task that I bet they won't be interested in. To get this to work, I had to place rivers in order, starting at ID zero, until each individual river was complete before moving on to the next river ID. Also, if you come back and place a different river ID on a particular tile you've already placed, it will scramble the whole naming system, so you can't edit things after the fact. When two rivers come together, you have to decide who is the river and who is the tributary, and the junction where they meet must be only the 'river', even if it looks like a river fork. The 'tributary' ends before the fork. It was not a fun thing to have to learn, but the process had dividends in the end as far as river control for map script users.

As for the floodplains, in the map script they are placed with a special function that is not part of the lua interface. The working floodplains that actually flood are not placed by hand. I am placing desert floodplains like the old style just to make desert a bit more useful, but they don't flood. (Some desert floodplains will, so you still have to take precautions.)

Just seen one thing that may concern Perfectworld6, it's the Wonder named 'Le grand bain' (great bath? sorry I'm french) which reduce the effects of disaster for one complete river. Compatible with your management of the rivers?

During my playtesting, I saw a dam that I placed mitigate the floods from it's river. I think it's safe to say it will work.

As for my progress so far. I would like to find a solution for minor civ placement. I may need to increase the map size a bit, because what's happening now is that the 'Old World' is filling up with major civs and the 'New World' is filling up, to the brim actually, with minor civs. So nearly all the minor civs usually end up in the new world. This really makes the later game exploration much less fun, because anything exciting is all taken up or entirely blocked off by minors. It's not a trivial fix, but I want to fix it before release. Sorry for the delay.

I also want to play around a bit with mountain natural wonders. I will make sure they are still useful when they provide bonuses to surrounding tiles, but I want their context to be more fitting. There are other things I would like to fix also like seeing the Pantanal at the north pole or in the Sahara, but I will handle that stuff on a later release.

Ok, I will tell you what I have found. The river naming system is very fragile. Making it work with worldbuilder would be an enormous task that I bet they won't be interested in. To get this to work, I had to place rivers in order, starting at ID zero, until each individual river was complete before moving on to the next river ID. Also, if you come back and place a different river ID on a particular tile you've already placed, it will scramble the whole naming system, so you can't edit things after the fact. When two rivers come together, you have to decide who is the river and who is the tributary, and the junction where they meet must be only the 'river', even if it looks like a river fork. The 'tributary' ends before the fork. It was not a fun thing to have to learn, but the process had dividends in the end as far as river control for map script users.

As for the floodplains, in the map script they are placed with a special function that is not part of the lua interface. The working floodplains that actually flood are not placed by hand. I am placing desert floodplains like the old style just to make desert a bit more useful, but they don't flood. (Some desert floodplains will, so you still have to take precautions.)

Dumb question, so my apologies in advance, when you're placing river ID's are you doing this through firetuner. and if so through what panel?

Dumb question, so my apologies in advance, when you're placing river ID's are you doing this through firetuner. and if so through what panel?

No, I'm doing this through the lua in my map script. I would make an educated guess that it's not possible with firetuner or the world builder.

I am placing desert floodplains like the old style just to make desert a bit more useful, but they don't flood. (Some desert floodplains will, so you still have to take precautions.)
I haven't messed with floodplains yet so maybe I can take advantage of your testing :)

It sounds like placing floodplains via the "old" method in featuregenerator.lua makes floodplains that give the old food bonus but don't actually flood, is that correct? If so that's actually kind of cool in a way, but unfortunate that we can't fully re-write that placement code for ourselves. Did you see if floodplains placed that way allow for the dam to be built on them like the new floodplains? I'd actually be curious about testing for their presence in a tile (the new style floodplains) since they appear to use the same feature ID.

Top Bottom