Resource icon

PerfectWorld6 7

You know what the Pantanal needs? Ambient jaguar sounds. Somebody tell somebody! If you can't find a Pantanal jaguar, I guess you could record a lion or a tiger.

Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX12) 3_13_2019 12_51_57 PM.png

Here's a nice shot of the Pantanal of the north, Ubsunur Hollow. This time we need ambient snow leopard sounds. Again, tell Sid Meier he can just use a lion or a tiger instead.
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX12) 3_13_2019 6_52_41 PM.png

Sorry this is taking so long. It's a lot of work, but I think it's paying off. I still have some problems to sort out, such as the following image. This is not my placement! I will fix this tomorrow. Galapagos used to avoid ice, but in GS ice is placed after the NW's, so it can't now. I'll fix this and also GBR.
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX12) 3_13_2019 6_52_07 PM.png

Ok, time for my daily progress report. I think I'm finished with natural wonders! All the rest have pretty good placement I think, so I'm not going to mess with those. Most of the ones I did had very little chance of appearing in PW, and now they can appear pretty much on any map, and in a very nice way once they are selected for placement. I was so sick of looking at Eye of the Sahara on every map I played.

I have one more thing to do. pokiehl noticed that my new map has like a 60 percent chance to flood every turn. This is because I made many, many small floodplain areas. I have something I would like to try to make this more reasonable. I will work on that tomorrow, and this weekend I'm going to do some playtesting to make sure it doesn't crash during the game. If everything goes well, I should release on Monday.

Let me show you what I did today. Galapagos is now placed between the horse latitudes, and prefers to stick to the smaller islands. It finds the first continent sized 10 tiles or larger, and picks the next five continents that are larger in succession if it can find that many. If it can't, it will end up on the old or new world which are guaranteed to be bigger than 10. The result is that you're likely gonna need a caravel or frigate to find it unless you're Moari :). It's a good find though, I hope you don't mind that I pumped it up with water resources. I saw a documentary that said that Galapagos sits on a confluence of ocean currents and has extremely rich marine life, so I'm using that.
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX12) 3_14_2019 7_43_59 PM.png

Also, I put Chocolate Hills in the jungle environment. It looks more at home there.
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX12) 3_14_2019 7_17_25 PM.png

It's amazing what you continue to pull off, looking forward to use it in a new game.

The result is that you're likely gonna need a caravel or frigate to find it unless you're Moari :)
Just for the sake of completeness, as Victoria pointed out to me in a similar context some months ago:
unique ability of Norway, Knarr: Units gain the ability to enter Ocean tiles after researching the Shipbuilding technology.

So also low rated Harald can benefit earlier from a lavish Galapagos Wonder. :)

Chocolate Hills and Galapagos are looking great! You know, the more I think about this, the more I realize how much character you're adding. Looks wonderful man.

Adding my 2 cents in, 21 NW on a huge map seems a bit overkill, but 7 is to little. I'd prefer a range of around 12 to 16, though a slider would be ideal.

Adding my 2 cents in, 21 NW on a huge map seems a bit overkill, but 7 is to little. I'd prefer a range of around 12 to 16, though a slider would be ideal.

I don't do sliders, but there is a variable you can edit to add more NW's.

Btw, NW placement is looking amazing, super looking forward to this, as well as the theoretical heightmap based coastal lowlands.

Btw, NW placement is looking amazing, super looking forward to this, as well as the theoretical heightmap based coastal lowlands.

I decided against that for now, because it would be super unfair. Whole continents could be wiped out while other coasts would be fine. I guess that's pretty realistic actually! It's a big game play change though. Maybe next update.

Maybe a toggle or as a non default that can be enabled in the config. It'd definitely not be everyone cup of tea.

I decided against that for now, because it would be super unfair. Whole continents could be wiped out while other coasts would be fine. I guess that's pretty realistic actually! It's a big game play change though. Maybe next update.
You will get a flood of complaints about it, that's for sure. (pun intended)

When I introduced my first round of changes to how lowlands were selected, even though the system was still relatively tame, it didn't go over well. I didn't even get to the part when I was going to allow lowlands in more than one tile from the ocean :)

When I introduced my first round of changes to how lowlands were selected, even though the system was still relatively tame, it didn't go over well. I didn't even get to the part when I was going to allow lowlands in more than one tile from the ocean :)

Bah to the naysayers! Follow your vision because that sounds awesome :D

I was in the audience, scratching my chin. "Hmm" ..... "Hmm"

Bah to the naysayers! Follow your vision because that sounds awesome :D
Yes, but probably done best as an add-on mod or a configurable option in the game. Funny thing though is that if you apply some science to it and take into account the density of ice compared to water... if 100% of the ice below the current sea level melted the sea level would actually drop and the stuff above the surface that's floating is just the displaced difference so there would be no net change. It's only the stuff on land that we really have to worry about. So if we run with that... we need glaciers, not just this stuff floating in the water, too bad the current assets look pretty bad if you just stick them on land (yeah, I tried it) :)

But, it's kind of fun destroying the world that I labored so hard to create.

I was in the audience, scratching my chin. "Hmm" ..... "Hmm"
Yeah, I wanted to say, "with all these tears we should have even more land under water" but I thought that would be too mean. I have to tell you though, doing what I was testing and not having your underlying height map was really disappointing. You're going to be able to do so much more with that than we can with the base map. I have a test version where I essentially create a height map using the average "height" of surrounding tiles where everything inland is +1 height per tile in from the coast, hills are +1 and mountains are +3 on top of that but it's just not the same.

What I really wanted was a case where you may have an entire lowland region stretching in from the coast that would become this massive inland sea, that would be so much better than just losing a few seemingly random coastal tiles. The only issue I kept running into is, "what percentage of land is appropriate to lose?" The base game's code for it is really limited and somewhat misleading, the global value for lowland percentage isn't the percentage of land or even the percentage of coastal tiles so you can have pretty big differences in lowland tiles affected by flooding between two otherwise very similar maps just because one of them had more hills or mountains along the coast. This part should be really easy for you, almost like figuring out the initial height on your base map for the sea level really and then making sure it's either on the original coast or adjacent to a tile in the early flood level. I think the only issue left in the game then becomes how the flood walls work since everything is kind of out of your control once the game starts.

Concerning the add of more floodplains in desert, the main gameplay change is that there will be less safe zones between some civs but I can't personnaly judge if it's good or bad, there are advantages and disavantages.

Ok, it's posted! Enjoy the map. I tested it playing Moari, which was insanely over-powered, as I had most of the new world explored and nearly settled before anyone else got Cartography.

pokiehl, let me know if I posted a bunch of old crap again. I don't think I did but it has always seemed a bit out of my control.

Top Bottom