1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PerfectWorld6 6

Map Script for Civ 6

1. Starwars

Starwars Chieftain

As an avid restarter, I've had crashes using this when using the "restart" option. For what it's worth, I *think* it's only happened on standard sized maps and not on small. If it happens, it appears to be crashing during the loading of the map.
    For what it's worth, I haven't had any crashes from in-game when using this so far.

Either way, great work! It's been a pleasure to play.

2. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

Slight update Cephalo..I couldn't go back and retest that save, but what I have done is start a new PW6 game with Standard map size (instead my modded Gigantic).

No crashing or funny business yet and I'm on turn 250. I was on turn 201 when the crashing on my Gigantic map happened.

3. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

I can't figure out what PW is doing that no other map does. It's possible that there is a feature/terrain combination that the game can't handle, but since I converted jungle to plains, I can't imagine what would be different. Does any other map use the ability for a lake to have an outflow? Maybe that ability hasn't been fully tested.

4. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

The Giant Earth Map use outflow from lakes in 2 or 3 positions (at least the Nile from Lake Victoria, and the river from lake Onega to lake Ladoga then to Baltic Sea)

5. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

I am not nearly as knowledgeable in map scripting as you and Gedemon are, but my hunch is that it's the function used to increase map size by 15%...I don't know of any other script that uses that function (Gedemon, does any of YNAMP do that?). Maybe certain X/Y ratios above a certain grid size cause problems. Who knows? At any rate I'd like to test this hypothesis.

Assuming my Standard game ends with no crashing, I will start a new game with my Gigantic map size, but with that size increase function commented out. I'll keep you updated.

6. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

I feel like this thing is crashing for everyone in the world except me, Ha.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, maybe pokeihl is right. That map size tweak might be accomodated by 90 percent of firaxis code, but maybe some aspect of loading the game makes hard coded assumptions on the map size.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  7. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

We'll get to the bottom of it man! :D And if that function is indeed the cause, you can just make custom PW6 map sizes to achieve the same effect without that function (as Gedemon did for his Terra script).

Out of curiosity, what map size have you been playing on?

8. Scrum Lord

Scrum Lord Chieftain

This could be unrelated, but I started seeing crashes like this with Got Lakes when R&F released, and for some reason the crashes occurred much less frequently when I reduced/eliminated reefs. These didn't happen during the loading screen, though--only whenever I revealed some/all of the map. Other things I noticed: a crash could occur for any map size; crashes seemed to be more frequent when east-west world-wrap was disabled. Still not sure why that happens.

Actually I do have a random guess as to why a crash would occur during or right-after the loading screen: circular rivers. Do you have logic in your script to prevent cycles in river segments, because I learned the hard way that those are OK in world builder but not in the actual game.

9. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

We may want to ask @Zobtzler, he reported crash (but directly on map generation) at specific sizes.

YnAMP as an option to generate a custom map based on portions of the Giant/Ludicrous Earth Map by selection starting/ending longitude/latitude allowing all kind of custom sizes/ratio. I've a recent report of a crash on reload, but it was on a ratio (2:1) that is used a lot in my mod (all Terra Map) and would generate more reports if there was an issue with it

10. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

Rivers are guided by altitude in this map, and that actually prevents any circular rivers, since water can' t flow uphill.

11. sampo

sampo Chieftain

On the plains/grassland jungle. Could we have both?

12. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

Yes, there is an option at the beginning of the script file to turn only the hills into plains.

13. robincox

robincox Chieftain

Thanks for an awesome map script Cephalo.
    I am wondering how to make the mountain ranges thicker and more dense, like the Himalayas for instance?

14. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

If you tweak the number of mountains to be a bit higher you should get exactly that.

15. ggalindo001

ggalindo001 Chieftain

I have played 3 games using PerfectWorld for Civ6 (played many on Civ 5).

Maps are absolutely beautiful and feel very realistic. In my current game (still in BC era -- huge map), I started near the coast and as I moved north on the map and into the mountains, it absolutely felt realistic in terms of going to the "high ground". Outside of a rice paddy in the middle of the valley between two mountain chains (very head scratching), the layout is excellent.

In my previous game, there was a very long mountain chain that required some unique tactics to hit the civ on the other side.

Overall -- a great script. One item -- and back to what we saw on Civ 5 -- would like to see more user defined options at selection -- and if you can look at what was done with Detailed Worlds (my previous "go to" map scripts), I like the continental/island/sea/ocean separations on that one. To be honest, if I could merge Perfect Worlds with Detailed Worlds -- I would have a beautifully perfect script!

16. PonderThis

PonderThis Chieftain Supporter

Hi, another one here for the mysterious crashing problem. After four or five tries, I find that I can reload up to about turn 60, but after that it'll crash. Also if I just play it through, it'll crash on its own some time after turn 100. I saved the log files from the latest crash, do you want anything from that?

BTW, I totally love the maps it makes. It really makes the game much more interesting, but for now I'm going to have to disable it.

17. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

Someone on Steam said that the crashing went away when they disabled YnAMP. That doesn't necessarily mean anything at all, but might be worth a try.

18. ggalindo001

ggalindo001 Chieftain

I'm not using YnAMP and have had no issues. In 3 games. For whatever it's worth.

cephalo likes this.
  19. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I'm not using YnAMP, but I have been having crashes when I use PW6. So I doubt that YnAMP is the problem.

cephalo likes this.
  20. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

Good to know! Thanks.