1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PerfectWorld6 7

Map Script for Civ 6

1. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

Is it just me, or have you left out support for reefs?

2. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

custom sizes does have a hash here:
    Code:
    > for row in GameInfo.Maps() do print(row.MapSizeType, row.Hash) end
    Code:
    Map Script: MAPSIZE_DUEL    388991850
    Map Script: MAPSIZE_TINY    -601637951
    Map Script: MAPSIZE_SMALL    -1837222328
    Map Script: MAPSIZE_STANDARD    -2055278946
    Map Script: MAPSIZE_LARGE    -1101990427
    Map Script: MAPSIZE_HUGE    370405108
    Map Script: MAPSIZE_SMALL21    1270126241
    Map Script: MAPSIZE_STANDARD21    350140894
    Map Script: MAPSIZE_LARGE21    1383131937
    Map Script: MAPSIZE_HUGE21    -1949521506
    Map Script: MAPSIZE_ENORMOUS    -669351999
    Map Script: MAPSIZE_ENORMOUS21    -1359673613
    Map Script: MAPSIZE_GIANT    -1457100151
    Map Script: MAPSIZE_LUDICROUS    -1575656048
    Map Script: MAPSIZE_OVERSIZED    -294316469

I don't understand what can cause them to not exist on another installation of the game

I've tested compatibility with the current version on a small 2:1 custom size (84x42), seems also good here:
    Code:
    Map Script: ynAMP Options: Culturally Linked = true, TSL = false, Exclusion Zones = false, Requested Resources = false, Real Deposits = false, Place All Luxuries = false
    Map Script: Loading YnAMP functions ...
    Map Script: Replacing ResourceBuilder.CanHaveResource by YnAMP_CanHaveResource...
    Map Script: width and height    96    48
    GenerateRandomMap: Map Seed = 1227711994
    Map Script: Generating PerfectWorld6 Map
    Map Script: Creating initial map data - PerfectWorld6
    Map Script: map size: width=96, height=48
    Spoiler Screenshot :
    Clipboard-1.jpg

cephalo likes this.
  3. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

Doh! I'll fix that when I can.

4. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

So Gedemon, are you not experiencing the size issue at all?

5. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

No, it may crash on load for larger map (AFAIK no computer can handle "reveal all" on maps above 200x100, and Giant is 180x90 which gives 207x104 after applying the 1.15 multiplier of PW), but the game does try to generate a map of that size.

6. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

I'll take another look at the mod Larger Map Sizes and see any differences between how Gedemon did his map sizes vs the way I did mine.

7. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

I actually am seeing reefs a long the coast, but I didn't put them there. Seems like there could be more also. Are they a 'feature'? Did they come with the expansion?

8. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Chieftain

Yes, they are feature like ice or jungle and were expansion-added.

9. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

Hope the pumpkin festival was fun cephalo :) Good news! I figured out what the problem with the map sizes was on my end. I forgot to add the new map sizes to the TYPES table. All the sizes now work fine with PerfectWorld6 and generate a hash properly. The mod is now updated on Steam. I thank both you and Gedemon for looking into this issue with me.

Pfeffersack, in the other thread you mentioned you liked to use Larger Map Sizes, so if you were having a problem before, I just updated the mod and it will work with PW6.

EDIT: I confirm what Sukritact pointed out - no reefs are being spawned for me whatsoever. As Pfeffersack said, they were introduced with Rise and Fall - they are placed via FeatureGenerator.lua in the Expansion1 folder.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  10. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Chieftain

Thank you the fix - works like a charm. Everyone trying should be only aware that map generation then can *really* take it's time in this combination - I waited 15-20 minutes for one generation of a Civ5-Huge-size (smallest of the additional sizes) But that's a price I'm gladly willing to pay for the result (and it feels kind of realistic, too - earth history took billions of years to get everything in shape :D )

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    pokiehl likes this.
  11. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

That's great pokeihl!

About those reefs. I have noticed that they are placed on my maps, just not very many. How did they sneak that in on me? How many should there be? Should there be like 1/4 of coast tiles as reefs?

12. Golan v

Golan v Chieftain

I wish in a perfact world would be only reefs lol

13. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

I believe the % of reefs in FeatureGenerator.lua is set at 8% (although I don't know enough about Lua to tell you if that means % of all tiles or % of water tiles).

Based on that, 1/4 seems like too much. While reefs are useful, they are not removable. Because they block placement of harbors and wonders, too many can be problematic.

I find that the default percent is 'just right' for gameplay.

It's very interesting to me that you are seeing reefs on your PW maps - I have tested 6 times in a row and don't see a single one. Are you sure you're not just seeing the Great Barrier Reef wonder or something?

14. fuad

fuad Chieftain

Great map script, but will this beautiful map script work with vanilla Civ or is Rise and fall expansion required ?

Edit : it works beautifully in Rise and Fall but not in Vanilla

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  15. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

This should work with vanilla also, although I haven't tested it with vanilla.

I made an option to have jungle tiles have a plains terrain. I have decided by default to have jungle hills be plains, because it looks darn good and that should alleviate some of the harshness of starting in jungle. With the option you can set it to all jungle is plains, hills only or none.

I was playing with reefs, making their frequency change with temperature, and I liked it but I noticed that I was getting enormous numbers of turtles. Like a third or more of the reefs had turtles. Are turtles a luxury that everyone can count on in abundance? I may have to place those myself.

EDIT: Also, how do you feel about reefs in freshwater lakes?

16. Scrum Lord

Scrum Lord Chieftain

One thing you could do to fix the production imbalance is bias plains versus grass based on altitude rather than latitude: give hills a higher chance of grass, and flat tiles a higher chance of plains. That way you have hills with more food, and flat tiles with more production.

17. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

Thanks for making the jungles/plains thing an option!

As for turtles + reefs...Turtles can only spawn on reefs, so the more reefs you have the more turtles you will get.. The devs pushed out an update that specifically increased the frequency of turtles spawning, but I wouldn't say that I see 1/3 of all reefs tiles with turtles in my games. I would say with Abundant resources selected, it's not crazy to see ~20% of the reefs have turtles.

Is there any way you can take a screenshot of particularly egregious turtle clumping?

18. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

Well, I was having a bit too many reefs at the time, also, the way the game chooses what luxuries to put down depends on continents it seems. Last two maps didn't have a single turtle. I'm still messing with it.

19. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

Here is an example of the turtle problem, there's like enough turtles for every civ just on this one screen. The popup window is actually covering up two more. Didn't notice when I took the screenie.
    20181015212854_1.jpg

20. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

Each named continent on a map gets 4 unique land luxury resources.

Sea luxury variety is assigned based map type and map size. PerfectWorld6 will have 1 unique sea luxury for a duel map, 2 for tiny-standard, and 3 for large, huge, and custom map sizes. With 4 sea luxuries defined in the game, there will always be a chance you don't roll turtles.

On top of that, sea luxuries tend to 'cluster' together due to a flaw in the resourcegenerator. (Sidenote if anyone cares: I have a mod called Truly Abundant Resources, and 2 of the changes I make in that mod are to increase sea luxury variety for each map size and fixing the clumping :) Sea luxury distribution is much improved)

Here is an example I just took, no mods, regular Continents map. Looks pretty similar to your screenshot in that turtles occupied almost all of the reef tiles in the screenshot (resource setting was Standard)
    20181015224136_1.jpg

The big difference between our screenshots is that yours has more reefs. So if PerfectWorld6 creates more reefs than the regular Civ 6 scripts, and if you roll turtles as one of your sea luxuries, that sort of clumping is going to be expected when you have a lot of reef tiles near one another