PH10: King Solomon's Marbles

no stone right away is no big deal. We wont' need it for Stonehenge and by the time we need it to build Pyramids we'll be able to plant a second city, or the border pops will get us there.

In fact, with stone and industrious, we definitely should prioritize the Oracle before Pyramids now. Pyramids should be a lock.

Everyone seems to have different opinions. Heres mine.

Settle 1S on the floodplains. It doesnt cost you any additional moves. It gains the irrigated wheat. Its quicker for a worker to farm the wheat than farm a floodplain. This game is gonna be about food and hammers. We need that wheat to work additional mines and to grow quicker. Gaining an additional hammer and commerce from the wheat is just a plus. Theres another reason for settling
1S....see the blue circle.....There is some kinda food north of that that could support a city working the stone.

By settling 1S, we leave room for a city to do just that.

The other opinion I have is the tech path. We need to found 4 religions, not all of them. I would agree with Poly first and ignoring Buddhism. We need to get to Masonry anyway, so why not grab Judaism. We also need things for a worker to do. The way to get production up is food and hammers....if we divert extra time to Buddhism, we may be putting a settler out not knowing where Horses or copper is.......and i really dont wanna waste turns researching Archery because we have no defense.

My research path would be:
Poly........for a religion
AH..........cows, horses, and we start with the 2 Prereqs
Mining....worker needs something to do after hooking cows

At this point, its debateable depending on where the horses show up.

If no horses, then BW.....if horses...maybe masonry and Judaism.

Wherever the second city goes, its gotta have massive food and production or it grabs the stone....I doubt well get both in 1 city...but its a dream.

I also think because we start with Agriculture that it would be a crime to not go worker first. Even if hes done with the farm before AH comes in (which i doubt).....we still have the wheel and he can be roading to the stone.

Just to add my few $ from the far far away land (with lousy coms/connections) - I would definitely settle either :

- plain hill 1N of wheat - giving us coast, wheat and cows, and an extra hammer (never underestimate an extra hammer :p)

- grassland hill where the warrior stands - all ressources still in, though we lose the coast

Settling in place is a good idea too, as the map generator manages a nice capital location in most cases and there must be something we don't see in the BFC.

Returning to the backward-land :)

edit: cross-post with cabledawg - I don't like settling on the floodplains but you seem to have a point regarding your arguments

........as the map generator manages a nice capital location in most cases and there must be something we don't see in the BFC.

See those forest surrounding the plains hill north of the settler. Theres no forest on that hill because theres a resource there.....its prolly iron as i never ever ever get copper in my BFC.

I see your point on settling on the plains hill, but id rather have an inland capitol for the hammers. If we settle on that plains hill and we dont have a seafood in the BFC....then our capitol will be mediocre at best.

After reading Cabledawg's post, I really have to change my opinion :) Very good points.

I'm with Cabledawg on settling 1S on the FP.

This is an unusual variant--we don't need to maximize our long term empire potential like we might need to at a higher level. What we need to do is get religions and wonderspam. So we don't need the extra commerce from later trade routes--hammers and ubercapital much more important. Diplomacy will be our real challenge.

Assuming we get hindu, SH, and oracle, the stone will be in our culture by the time we are building the pyramids. We can also start them a little later since we are indu and have stone. If we're not allowed to use the engineer, we could also start pyramids in second city if it has decent production.

Worker first is clear--we have ag and irrigated wheat. Since we are not allowed cottages, we have a lot of river tiles to farm.

If only I had more time ...

I really like the idea pholk. Had pretty much the same idea abt two weeks ago, so I'll be lurking.

As for settling I'd suggest moving the warrior 1 SW onto the plains hill. Take a screeny and decide then! ;)

I'm not sure to be around for a while from now - well until late tomorrow at the earliest - just to say that I trust you guys on early choices.

FP-location is fine with me, though I still am not a fan of settling on a floodplain. Still, cabledawg has a strong point about this :goodjob:

Warrior-warrior seems nice, then I would start a worker.

Hindu-shot is worthwhile, Masonry and Juda while getting the Hedge is OK with me.

We can get the mids afterwards. Oracle fallls later since 3.13 - check the LHC VII - Darius and my MLG for details ;) - though I wouldn't bet my hands on it.

4000 bc and I went with the Dawg's advice since that seemed to be the consensus (if anyone's wondering, i was the 4th vote :D ) and settled 1S

And went with the proposed tech path. Myst > Poly will take us 30 turns for now, so I may go warrior first in order to grow and work more commerce tiles. It's only 11 turns to growth so I made the executive decision and went w/that plan.

I'm also sending our warrior north since we seem to be in the bottom corner here.

D’oh!

And there's no food up there.

Ah well, ya can’t have everything, but we can still settle on the tundra forest for the fish and stone if we wanted to; it'll be good for maintenance stuff.

3800 bc
Our borders popped and grabbed that hut:

A couple turns later:

In 3725, we hit pop2, and I swapped to a worker now. Poly and hindu in 13 instead of 20 turns.

Ahh, muthaf’er!

Yeah warrior!

And we got 104g from the hut, too :woohoo:

And we meet a neighbor!

And i found his borders! Awful close!!

I've half a mind to invade, but don’t. It would be just my luck to have a 2nd warrior appear there the turn I get next to DC.

In 3400, one leg of the quest is complete!

1 down, 3 to go! Research begun: Animal Husbandry (15 Turns) and I also converted. This should probably be the religion we spread to unite the world :yup:

Basically the rest was exploring. In 3325, our warrior defeated a panther:

Gave him Wood I now and he's healing on a jungle hill.

3275, our worker’s done, and went back to the warrior. I also took off working one the FP for a plains hill to get it our faster.

On my last turn, I had just started the farm. 8 turns for that, and 9 for AH; will work out JEP ~ just exactly perfect!

Here’s a resource map:

And a culture one:

With any luck, we’ll have horses nearby, and our War Chariots will roll out the red carpet for us in DC :devil:

Sorry about the delay, but ya only turn 2 once :lol:

Team Roster:
pholkhero >> just played
r_rolo >> UP NOW for 25
pawelo >> on deck for 20
pindicator >> starting off the normal, 15-turn sets
Cabledawg
ungy
Meiz

Attachments

• PH10 BC-3250.CivBeyondSwordSave
    49 KB · Views: 109
i also think that the "religious tech requirement" for ourselves would hem us in TOO much, but i'd like to leave the bldg one, if a temple, monastery, cathedral or obelisk can be built, we must!

heh...@ first i thought i did something wrong :lol:

fox has abused me so much :cry: ;) :)

Not much to say in this turnset......

Started to do some MM to get our capitol to pop 3 more quickly.... when reach it will start a settler.

Got a scout from a hut. With it I discovered another neighbour:
Spoiler :
At least the founder of Budhism is nearby :devil:

Finished AH soon after:
Spoiler :
No horses in sight :gripe: ....decided to go to BW for slavery and chopping

After our scout survival to a 2 lion attack in the same turn we discovered a potential headache:
Spoiler :
A Ind leader... maybe we'll need to rip some wonders from his cold ,dead hands....

We're #2 in culture...
Spoiler :

We finished the turnset with a settler in route , the Henge 14 turns away and BW in 1 turn

Here is the already known world:
Spoiler :

Some suggestions...

We should focus on Mono next (I suggest Masonry (for the Mids) -> Mono -> Priesthood-> ( Pottery ?) -> Writing ->( Oracle Theo ? ) -> CoL )

I suggest settling this spot ( in the plain tile in the middle of the FP )
Spoiler :
A $ central and would block American expansion towards us ( he's between us , Liz and QSH ... he'll press our borders most surely ). With a henge obelisk, a priest or two and the jewish shrine it would hold the wash culture and would get us a nice chunk of land...

Now the boring stuff
Spoiler the barb massacre and other minor stuff :

Logging by BUG Mod 2.11 (BtS 3.13)
------------------------------------------------
Turn 30/750 (3250 BC) [19-Nov-2007 20:08:51]
Reminder: On Turn 55, Acaba......

IBT:

Turn 31/750 (3225 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:02:24]

IBT:

Turn 32/750 (3200 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:02:31]

IBT:

Turn 33/750 (3175 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:02:39]

IBT:

Turn 34/750 (3150 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:02:46]
Tribal village results: scout
Contact made: English Empire

IBT:
Attitude Change: Elizabeth(England) towards Washington(America), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'

Turn 35/750 (3125 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:03:19]

IBT:

Turn 36/750 (3100 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:03:31]
Tribal village results: experience

IBT:
While defending in the wild, Warrior defeats (1.72/2): Barbarian Lion (Prob Victory: 99.2%)

Turn 37/750 (3075 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:03:54]
A Farm was built near Thebes
Thebes's borders expand
Thebes finishes: Warrior

IBT:

Turn 38/750 (3050 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:04:05]
Thebes begins: Stonehenge (60 turns)
Scout promoted: Woodsman I
Scout promoted: Woodsman II
Tech learned: Animal Husbandry

IBT:
While defending in the wild near London, Scout defeats (0.85/1): Barbarian Lion (Prob Victory: 96.2%)
While defending in the wild near London, Scout defeats (0.37/1): Barbarian Lion (Prob Victory: 80.9%)
Attitude Change: Elizabeth(England) towards Washington(America), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'

Turn 39/750 (3025 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:05:02]
Research begun: Bronze Working (17 Turns)
Thebes grows: 3

IBT:
While defending in the wild, Warrior defeats (0.64/2): Barbarian Lion (Prob Victory: 78.7%)

Turn 40/750 (3000 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:06:26]
Thebes begins: Settler (17 turns)
Thebes begins: Stonehenge (58 turns)
Warrior promoted: Woodsman II

IBT:

Turn 41/750 (2975 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:07:14]

IBT:

Turn 42/750 (2950 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:07:21]

IBT:

Turn 43/750 (2925 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:07:34]

IBT:
Attitude Change: Elizabeth(England) towards Washington(America), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'

Turn 44/750 (2900 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:07:43]
A Pasture was built near Thebes

IBT:

Turn 45/750 (2875 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:07:51]

IBT:

Turn 46/750 (2850 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:08:02]

IBT:

Turn 47/750 (2825 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:08:26]
Tribal village results: scout

IBT:

Turn 48/750 (2800 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:08:55]
Contact made: Chinese Empire

IBT:

Turn 49/750 (2775 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:09:31]

IBT:

Turn 50/750 (2750 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:09:52]

IBT:
While defending in the wild, Warrior defeats (2.00/2): Barbarian Wolf (Prob Victory: 100.0%)

Turn 51/750 (2725 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:17:44]
Tribal village results: weak hostiles
A Mine was built near Thebes

IBT:
While defending in the wild, Warrior defeats (0.86/2): Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 65.2%)

Turn 52/750 (2700 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:18:13]

IBT:

Turn 53/750 (2675 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:18:50]
Thebes finishes: Settler

IBT:
While defending in the wild near London, Scout defeats (0.52/1): Barbarian Lion (Prob Victory: 88.4%)

Turn 54/750 (2650 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:19:12]

IBT:

Turn 55/750 (2625 BC) [19-Nov-2007 22:20:00]
Reminder: Acaba......

Top Bottom