PH11: Hypermegaglobalnet

agreed. 3 of 3 is the "right" way (b/c the american way is, of course, the 'right' way ;) ) ~

something like the "quarter of" the hour idiom ~ to me, that is :45, but to many others, it's :15

anyway, rolo, finish it up, i think.

A lot of "Enter" later we got our SS in AC... But the road had a few bumps.

I started my turns with Miss Boobdica requesting our help....
Spoiler :

After seeing the power graph and noticing that we were in oposite ends of it ( and we weren't on top of it ;) ) I decided to cave in.

We also discovered that Ottomans had a nice Naval History museum....
Spoiler :

Don't laugh a lot.. he had a nice updated naval stack in one of the cities near of us. That and the weasel behavior of Mehemed make me to nail bite a little...

Pericles decided to try his luck
Spoiler :

I didn't caved in, but after that I sold it for a handful of sushis, metals and some money. This proofed to be the :smoke: move of the turnset ( that and selling silk for sushis and only noticing that we had sold our only silk :wallbash: ) ... Will say why in a minute.... But then it looked as a cool idea: lots of corp resources and cash and more fuel for Greece-Celtia war

Assorted events
Spoiler :

One example of the AI definition of fair deal ( there were so much of them I decided to post only one.... )
Spoiler :

Our last GA... normally I would shun a artist in this era, but came handy to finish the Engines.
Spoiler :

And then I noticed a small Greek stack near Boston.... As a measure of precaution I moved some MA to the SE of our continent, but I didn't believed that Pericles ,that was already in war with Boudi ,would try to DoW us . I was wrong:
Spoiler :

[rant mode]Very realistical.... Pericles was in a war with a big power ( he had a slighty bigger power that us... Boudica had 6-7 times our power ) and decides to divert part of his efforts of that war and attack his only supplier of oil :crazyeye: And to add he sent XIX century junk ( cavalry , cannons.... the more advanced unit was a paratrooper ) and attacked a hill city with a high culture ( he attacked Boston ) without bombarding or disembarking. The AI on this game clearly doesn't need any kind of fix :rolleyes: [/rant mode]

Anyway ( I do understand what happened: he decided to DoW us when we denied him the Oil tribute... but maybe a nice " Maybe override hands full status if we are at war with a bigger power than and the guy is providing us a vital resource" could be inserted... and lets not start talking about AI naval invasions .... ) the war was short: next turn we got a mediator and the only result of this war was Pericles losing his naval stack at the expense of some destroyers and submarines. 2 or 3 turns later another mediator ( the scandinavs were busy in those days ... ) made peace in the Greece- Celtia war and the world got peaceful at last ( we are honest sellers and war ( with us ) is bad for business *devilish kingpin style laugh* ).

Some more turns of corp spam ( mainly jewels in Ottoman's land ... Celtia and Greece spread C. Mills a lot by them selfs and Mehemed was very interested in spreading Al Co ) and finally our SS was in the air:
Spoiler :

Notice the advanced flying greenhouse on the left :rotfl:

Enter, enter ,enter.....
Spoiler :
Fouled you... you were expecting the finish SS

Noticed that when he got into Theo.... I bet we were the target ( us or QSH.... but we were the weaker of the 2 ). But too little, too late.....

And.....
Spoiler :

Save attached is from the turn before victory....

Some thoughts:

A interesting game... but unfortunately we only started to corp spam too late ( not our fault: a lot of civs in Merc/SP and only the UN can opener did the job ). If we had started to corp spam earlier we could had easily got some more 200 gpt with some ease.....

Another interesting point was the balance we had to made between corps money vs corps benefits to AI... clearly that cut us some of the potential cash (virtually no corps in China ( no pun intended ) due to their space and cultural ambitions ) and, of course the gymnastics to get the right GP of a full GM pool ( in the end that was simply impossible due to the pop vs workable land... our cap had pop 30 and not a lot of merchant slots )

Ok, another PH in the bag... when does the PH-13 starts? If it takes a long time , I have a idea brewing in the head for a SG. Will tell something later.....

Attachments

• PH11 AD-1998-July.CivBeyondSwordSave
    578.2 KB · Views: 100
great job rolo, and everyone else!! Way to extend Oz's PH win streak ~ :goodjob:

to me, this game vacillated btwn being fun and not-so-fun btwn some of the restrictions and such, but all in all, i enjoyed it very much. So far, the PH series has shown the power of the SE economy even when not using scientists to fuel research and bulb techs, most especially by using the merchants (and later corps) to be able to fuel higher-than-normal research rates.

The SE series is going to wrap up w/PH13: The Hammer and the Anvil (focusing on Scientists and Engineers), but as I'm currently full-up on time right now in RL, i don't see it starting for *at least* a couple weeks. So start away rolo (but don't take my ideas! :mad: ;) )

great game, all ~ thanks!

A win! :band: :dance:
And a great team to play with! :hatsoff:

This means that I'm now up to 1 from 1 in the PH series. :p

to me, this game vacillated btwn being fun and not-so-fun btwn some of the restrictions and such, but all in all, i enjoyed it very much.
I disagree that there were un-fun elements in the variant. To me, it made for a challenging game. While it was clear at the end that we were going to launch the spaceship and win, it was not so clear that the we would meet the variant objectives for a win. These situations make for more interesting play IMO.

My only issue with the variant was the sheer number of rules. I found myself having to continually refer back to the first post. The large number of rules meant that I was unable to remember all of them without constantly refreshing my memory.

oh, no doubt you're right about the uncertainty, but it was a rough patch in the late classical/early medieval part where we had to build merchant bldgs first, and only able to run a few at a time pre-Caste.

I agree on the rules, as well. But it was also to highlight the merchant-flavor. I just need to find the balance. I think requiring merchant bldgs first and foremost and techs was unnecessary.

Unnecessary? Probably so. I don't know that I would go so far as to say it was un-fun, though.

A Market as your first build in a city is definitely not an optimal path to victory. :lol: But then this variant wasn't about creating optimal paths. It wasn't clear that we were going to win this game during the medieval (or renaissance) times. Honestly, I've no complaints about your variant.

In fact I think the merchant buildings first rule had a detrimental value, especialy in those frosted northern cities that some members of the team decided to baptize with team members nicknames ;) . They didn't build their banks before the SS reached AC , even with mining inc.

And it was better for the gameplay that the Always peace rule had gone with the wind ( it would had be easy to fix the game to AP... ). I bet it would had been a dull game if it was Always peace.... At least Pericles would not had made his funny war in the end :lol:

Nice win all! The streak runs to 3 of 3!(?).

I agree that there were too many rules (most of which I broke) but agree with Conroe (or is that disagree with pholk) it wasn't unfun. At times it was a hard variant and we were unsure we would win but that's not unfun. It ended up being a well played game by all.

Lurking

Well done chaps.

I thought it couldn't be done.

I was wrong.

Still, 1998, the AI seems more artificial than intelligent.

to be clear, i'm not saying that b/c it wasn't easy or that we didn't know if we were going to win, that it was unfun. Just that the rounds during those above-mentioned eras seemed a chore to me. but, it's also my privilege to say such things as its my game ;) :)

Great job guys,
Ive been following thoughout the whole game and it was really fun to read :D
Unbelivable that you made it after forgetting to switch Always Peace on =]

I didn't forget ~ i chose to leave it off after someone (quotey maybe? ) lmk that AP was broken.

I said (wrongly) that AP meant only you were at peace like AW. The reaosn AP is actually broken is because the AI tends to build massive stacks of units opposed to a token dfender or two.

Agree with anyone who agrees that it wasn't an unfun game :crazyeye:

Anyway, great win everyone! Hope to be back on boards soon enough to continue - maybe in a week or so... Buying a loft takes time and great effort... :confused:

Buongiorno from Rome!

I finally get an internet connection to discover that two OF (from?) three SGs are completed. Not complaining though, as they were all wins. :)

Great game everyone, it was fun to play my first (victorious!) PH SG. I hope to have some more fun at another time!

-Kodii

Top Bottom