1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PH18: We Hates You'se

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by pholkhero, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Emperor Peter

Emperor Peter Warlord

:lol: seems like victory is assured for that next game

2. Emperor Peter

Emperor Peter Warlord

Played 15 turns, most of the fighting took place around Gergovia(settled on Boudis only Iron).

T196: 5 cities complete their build, I set them all to build WE the entire set

T197: our last city completes build, this city builds axes this set
    priesthood in, start monarchy

Gergovia is threatened

T198: I send our chariots out to attack Gandhi's archer, but it dies :cry:
    I send 2 archers to Vienne, but they get intercepted by Impis :mad:

T199: Looks like this stack bypassed Tolosa, I can only hope they don't attack our city

T200: Phew, they attack Tolosa and get eliminated

T202: Gandhi attacks Gergovia with his chariots/archers, he loses his stack

T203: Now Mansa attacks Gergovia, all defenders are hurt now

T205: Kill a lone US axe with a new WE, which dies on the IT to another Impi. I hate Shaka

T207: Now Egypt assaults Gergovia, they fail too

T210: The Chinese finally take the city with 2 chariots, we have 3 WE near but the road is blocked by enemy troops

Couterattack with WE takes out 3 enemies

The Americans threaten Vienne

Still plenty of stacks heading our way, we need a miracle (or lots of :nuke:) to win.
    Probably best to start over.

Attached Files:

3. kossin

kossin Deity

Looks like we're not in that bad of a shape though, with enough Elephants and some catapults we might actually take back some cities I think.

4. Rex Tyrannus

Rex Tyrannus 280lbs of gross stupidity

THe reason I built archers was due to the inordinate number of spears, who all get bonuses against elephants. That, and I couldn't build phants until the end of my set. Plus, I anticipated defensive needs, rather than offense. We can get a lot more archers out than elephants and maybe save some cities.

That was my thinking. If I were wrong...well...remember, I suck and have no business in an Emperor difficulty all war game.

5. Emperor Peter

Emperor Peter Warlord

Your reason was good Rex, Ellies need protection from spears, but axemen are way better than archers for this job. But offense is the best defense, archers are useless when catapults are bombing defenses and doing collateral, while ellies can counterattack the 'pults

6. kossin

kossin Deity

I'll play the save somewhere today. More elephants/pults and try to recapture cities if that's even possible.

7. mlinneak

mlinneak Prince

So I guess they didn't really attack on my set because they were just waiting until enough units got there so they could mow down everything in their path :sad:

8. kossin

kossin Deity

I meant to play 20 turns and end on turn 230 but I overshot by 1 turn:blush:

IHT - 550AD
    I put research on 0% and accumulated gold. Did some MM to get more commerce/food as I chopped several units and whipped some more. I also lent Nottingham's corn to Hastings as it was too slow to grow and was whipped a few times.

T1 - 565AD
    Forgot to cancel worker orders on the previous turn so I did that to re-evaluate what they were doing.
    Killed a few stray units, couldn't go after Gergovia as there were too many units surrounding it. Made a mistake and retreated the troops westwards... Monte's troops went south.

T2 - 580AD
    Not much... move some units with the previous turn's mistake still not noticed. Whip London, Canterburry (WEs)
    Coventry places a Barracks in front of the queue.

T3 - 595AD
    Biz moved his units near Gergovia and would lose them all IBT. That's when Monte went south.

T4 - 610AD
    I kept sending units to Vienne as the major stacks were heading that way. Biz only had 2 archers in Munich and Monte sent 10 units to it, which I did not notice :S Put slider on 100% as we have enough gold to finish Monarchy.

T5 - 625AD
    Whip Hastings, move some units...Wang and Lincoln move 14 units next to Vienne - I have sent 5 WE and an Axe there.

T6 - 640AD
    Monarchy completes.
    Spoiler :

Set research on Feudalism and direct Biz and Boudi as well. Worker improves wine by London. I also revolted to Monarchy as we had some unhappy citizens. Boudi and Biz also revolt.

T7 - 655AD
    I finally notice Munich...

Start sending WEs over there...:sad:
    MM cities to avoid unhappiness.
    Vienne bombarded, no attack.

T8 - 670AD
    Vienne bombarded, no attack.
    3 WE arrive in Berlin with Munich as target, also add 2 more WE to Vienne.
    Whip York.

T9 - 685AD
    Not much, WK attacked on the next IBT...

T10 - 700AD
    Notice York doesn't have a Granary and add it to the front of the queue.
    Keep chopping...
    WK suicided his stack but killed 1 Axe of ours...

T11 - 715AD
    Lincoln's stack is dancing around Vienne...

Move 2 more WE to Berlin. (5)

T12 - 730AD
    Qin sends some injured units to Berlin and I clean them out... of course the RNG is unkind to me.

Lincoln keeps dancing.

T13 - 745AD
    Monte moves some units out of Munich. I wait an extra turn so that they aren't in range before moving.

T14 - 760AD
    Add another WE to Berlin but move out 5 to re-take Munich as Monte only left 3 units there. Adding some catapults to the mix of builds now.

Lincoln finally suicides some units...

T15 - 775AD
    Attack Munich, lose 2 WEs. Monte whipped one archer so it'll be retaken next turn.

T16 - 790AD
    Retake Munich and gift to Biz.

Monte has 4 (2 injured) spears near Berlin so I left the WEs inside the city on the hill.

T17 - 805AD
    Whip granary in York. Move another WE towards Munich but Monte moves his spears in the way, another dance for 3 turns this way.

T18 - 820AD
    Not much, move units, check cities...

T19 - 835AD
    Chop a Stable in London, the extra promo will be helpful.
    Whip Catapult in Coventry.
    Also add a Stable to the front of the queue in Canterburry

T20 - 850AD
    Chop chop catapults.

T21 - 860AD
    Notice I overplayed 1 turn after moving units so I stop.
    We've got 3 spots with units:

More catapults are on their way.

Cities
    Spoiler :

This one is in need of improvements. There's a worker sitting by on the just-chopped forest.

Finances aren't great... all those units are costing an arm. We really need Currency next.
    Spoiler :

Enemy units...

9. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

dang ~ two (2) valiant sets, but how much will they help in the end? who knows??

The Shadow knows....

no wait, he knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men...sorry.

looks like its me up now...i'll see what's what...a 3rd restart (with all new conditions, ie, no teams, definitely no AW) or a fight to the finish ~

Roster:
    pholkhero >> UP NOW
    mlinneak >> on deck
    rex
    EPete
    kossin >> just played

10. Rex Tyrannus

Hey. Great turn report. Too bad we have to follow up with pholk.

11. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

Well, this IS a sad, sorry state of affairs. I played ten turns (twice actually as i forgot to save on wed; this time i didn't even lose one unit! :) )

it's all a delaying action, i think, at this point. Yes, we have a good-sized army and I do think we could take back a city or two, but i just don't think we have the ability to do any harm to the AI on their turf, and thus win. They've already got feudalism so w/pikes running around, our elephants are rapidly losing their edge.

i fought off several stacks at Vienne with our sizable army there. All that's left is this small incan stack, but there will be others:

also, i fought off a reasonable stack at Nottingham, and I think this zulu stack is again on its way there:

Like i said, i think we can hold our own for a couple more sets, but once the AI starts fielding medieval units (and we still can't touch our science slider yet), i think the situation will rapidly deteriorate further. I don't know...i think it might be time to retire. I don't have the time or inclination to continue what will be a losing game, so . . .

thoughts??

Attached Files:

12. mlinneak

mlinneak Prince

I'm flexible. We could try a fight to the finish but I too think that it would be somewhat futile. :sad:
    If you wanted to roll another start with always war disabled even using the team aspect, that would be fine with me, or if you want to drop the team idea for now. If we are going to try to slog through this one to the bitter end, I won't be able to pick it up until Sunday evening, possibly Monday at the earliest as we are visiting my mother-in-law this weekend so I will have limited internet access. That should give everyone plenty of time to decide whether to start a new game or just close this one for now.
    Anyway, I'll do whatever the group decides.

13. Rex Tyrannus

My vote is to kill it and try a different game. If Pholk still wants to play an emperor-level game, I'll graciously bow out from the team. I have no business at that difficulty.

14. Talamane

Talamane King

Third time's a charm?

:p

15. kossin

kossin Deity

If we decide to kill it, I'll try to play it out to see where it takes us if that's ok with you.
    Voting for killing it anyway :)

16. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

please play it out, and if you have the time and inclination, post and let us know how it went. I'd be interested in the report of your win ~

I want to play a similar game, but not right now. I've got a lot going on for these next few weeks before xmas vacation and won't have time to commit to another game right now. However, when i do start it up, i'll reserve all but Rex a slot in the retrial ~ right now i'm thinking a pangaea w/5 opponents, Agg AI and WB so everyone hates everyone else (the whole point of this game in the beginning ~ to try and truly engineer AW conditions not just all AI vs Human).

anyway, thanks all for the game(s). and kossin, keep us updated if you will ~

17. kossin

kossin Deity

Everything went downhill, as pikes/XBows started showing up and 20+ stacks went inland, I quit in 1200AD when Biz got eliminated.

Sorry to report defeat but I don't think it was salvageable since a long time ago :)

18. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

agreed, but bonus points for giving it the ol' college try :goodjob:

19. Rex Tyrannus

I bet you could salvage it if you went back to before I played. Good job, though, Kossin, for dying in battle. You do honor to your house.

If anyone is interested, I started a new game that Pholk (hopefully) won't set to all war. Though I'm certain I'll screw that one up, too...somehow.