Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by pholkhero, Sep 18, 2009.
maybe if there's a place for a fort inside Boudy's borders
Ok, I played 16 turns. Boudica's capital is under contant assault, and she has whipped it nearly to death.
IT - Everything looks good, hit enter
20 BC One of the workers by Coventry starts a farm, the other heads to the pigs to build a pigpen.
5 BC York HA -> HA
10 AD Whipped HA in York for 2 pop with 35 overflow
25 AD Overflow in York allocated to a stable as currently horse archers are our strongest units
- Started a cottage by Hastings as it seemed to have enough food to support it and our finances are really bad
- Pyramids BIFL
- Took a look at the neverending stream of units assaulting Boudica's capital
40 AD London archer -> archer
- Started newly trained archer on a route to Polynesian as there was only a chariot as garrison
- Montezuma adopts Police State
55 AD Worker finishes ivory camp and is sent to build a second camp, planning to gift to one of our allies
- Polynesian borders expand giving us a glimpse across the sea, we will need a navy out of this town
70 AD Contributed to the road network a little
85 AD Whip granary in Canterbury for 2 pop with 43 overflow
- Send a couple workers to mine the iron
100 AD Canterbury granary -> barracks
115 AD London archer -> granary
- Nottingham barracks -> archer
- Started newly trained archer on a route to Bibracte to assist our neighbor
130 AD Whipped granary in London for 2 pop with 22 overflow
145 AD London granary -> library
- York stable -> HA
- 2nd ivory camp was finished, started the 3rd
- Pigs are pastured, started road to connect the resource
- Bismarck did not currently have happiness issues but Boudica did so gifted our 2nd ivory to her
160 AD Sent workers that finished penning the pigs to start much needed farms by York
175 AD Hastings barracks -> archer
- 3rd ivory camp completed
- Gifted 3rd ivory to Bismarck
190 AD Whip the archer in Hastings for 1 pop with 25 overflow - this city needs a library to run specs to stagnate growth, it is currently at happy cap and has lots of food
- Barb event - Goth uprising - does not appear to be near us
205 AD Nottingham archer -> worker
- Hastings archer -> library
- MM Hastings to stagnate growth, cuts library turns by two to complete in 13
- There is a pair of workers building a road from the iron to connect it to our network
- The workers around York had been building farms right where they were standing but I cancelled the action to allow the next person decide to either continue the farming or change the orders as needed
- Covenant should grow quickly with its pigs pastured and the grassland farm, should be able to whip the granary soon, possibly in 6 turns when it grows to 4
- York has 3 improved ivory tiles it does not have the food to support which is why I started a couple of farms - if it could get the food, it could be a production powerhouse with all those plains ivory tiles
- Nottingham is working a lot of unimproved tiles - I selected a worker as a placeholder as the city is at it's happy cap however a library might also be a good idea as well
- Polynesian needs a worker eventually to camp its deer but this is not pressing right now
- Please remember that I stagnated Hastings. It has 14 turns of whip anger before it can grow again at this time
- All military units have movement available still but the workers do not, workers will be available next turn with the exception of the two building the road from the iron
- An overview of the area
- Bibracte has 8 whip anger, the ivory just isn't enough to cover it
- Boudica has a lot of units garrisoned there for defense, some are very highly promoted
- A view of the current offensive
- And a quick look at our cities
- Construction is due in 10 turns, we are currently running science at 0% and losing 6 gpt - Polynesian is a huge drain on our economy. It's a good coastal base but desperately needs a courthouse
And the save ~
great turn report, mlinneak. Those stacks are impressive. Still, WTF is monty doing adopting police state in 40 AD?
Anyhow, I'll carry the torch, but I don't see Boudy lasting against those stacks...
She hasn't been doing too bad so far. She got a great general during my set I know, and she does have some pretty highly promoted units in there. Whenever I remembered to watch what was going on in that area between turns, though, I did not see her actually get attacked. Units seemed to shuffle back and forth in those 2-3 tiles they are all piled up in, but not actually attack.
Construction will be huge when we get it, we can collateral damage those big stacks.
And finally getting iron hooked up will help as well.
It might even not be a bad idea to use our two port cities to send a small (at first) navy out to harass coastal towns, it might help distract them from sending everything against her capital. With those pigs hooked up and the grassland farm, Coventry has the potential to whip out a respectable navy don't you think? If we got those deer camped by Polynesian too, it could join in as well perhaps.
Edit: With only an axeman and an impi in Bulawayo we could perhaps attempt to get a base in the enemy lands, or at least raze some of their production...
I think we need to tech toward something defensive (feudalism?). If monty has fascism--and I don't get how he does already--we're going to be seeing some serious offense from the Americas soon. I'd like to have something better than Horse Archers to fight off their cavalry, cannon, and tanks.
He doesn't have fascism, he has the pyramids.
ah. duh. er...how bout them Bears? Hell of a game.
nice set ML ~ those stacks truly ARE impressive, and sadly the result of my poor misclick (i.e., the Always War). Boudy's units ARE heavily promoted but for the life of me, i can't see the use of Guerrilla3 in her plains capital? i know she gets 1 for free, but still . . .
perhaps we can supplement her w/defense of our own; as in, dedicate a city just for sending units her way.
agree on construction, and not just for the cats, but for 'phants too. a small assault force might work, though idk if they'd retreat any units...though it'd still be nice to cause some havoc in their back ranks.
mlinneak >> just played
rex >> UP NOW
EPete >> on deck
I'm willing to join the roster if you'll have/need me!
I've been playing on Immortal lately in case that's any use.
-Boudi needs help for sure.
-Going by sea seems the only way to go on the offensive, there's no getting thru the map center. But we are seriously hampered by the small transport capacity of galleys. We should drop of stack defenders first on defensive terrain, then send galleys back to bring the city busters, only attack when we have a large enough stack.
awesome! you can play after Emperor Peter if that's okay with you...otherwise, lmk what position you'd like in the roster.
^^ That sounds fine, I'll have a look at the save and re-read the discussion tomorrow, no more time for now tonight.
Hey all. My wife has reminded me that tonight is my anniversary. I *was* planning on playing tonight. Probably won't get away with it, though.
Just took a quick look at the save, I'll take more time tonight.
I would not have gone for Construction. Monarchy->Feudalism instead since Catapults get wasted.
We need 5+ extra workers, the land is almost not improved! Some Financial riverside cottages would be great. If the economy doesn't get better soon, we'll get outteched and building all those units will have been for nothing.
I'd consider gifting Polynesian to Bismarck. He only has 2 cities and he can put his Emperor bonuses to better use than us there. Better for our economy too. 6 cities should be enough to put Oxford U if we ever get there.
Lacking Alphabet and Currency hurts a lot
looking at the advice provided, I had decided to try a mix of building and defense-readying. Though I'm confused as to why catapults are a waste. If we had had some, this set wouldn't have gone so poorly. Against those enemy stacks, I felt there was nothing we could do.
I turned out to be right.
We lost Bibracate on my third turn, losing two (three?) of our units in defense. The horde moved onto Cologne. It was razed.
I took the previous advice and gifted Poly to Biz, but on my third turn, not right away. We had some hammers invested in a granary there and I think those get flushed when a city changes hands. I let the granary finish first.
After construction came in, I decided to turn our path to Priesthood->Monarchy->Feudalism.
That was really it. I used our horse archers a little, but every stack had at least five spears. I only found a couple of axemen to pick off, one of whom beat me when we had 85% odds.
It's tough to say where to station defenders. I have two archers and a horse archer waiting to see which direction Shaka's big stack heads. Take a look.
Finally, because I left out a few less-important happenings...
I agree on the maybe giving Poly to Biz...maintenance alone will be a PITA. also, on cottages.
however, i think cats will be of good use in the near-term simply to help counter those huge stacks w/their collateral. We might not last if we go Mon>Feudalism; we certainly won't if Boudy loses her capital (and the AIs #1 target).
okay, well, i think this is the beginning of the end for us. AW really hurts us so much, and not the path intended for the game. let's see what happens, tho....
rex >> just played
EPete >> UP NOW
kossin >> on deck
Catapults need to be replaced was my point. Construction opened up War Elephants which could help just a wee-bit, certainly better than anything else we have available right now.
I *think* Shaka will go for Vienne as it is closer and within sight of his Impis. More stacks will be coming so I don't know if we can recapture Bibracte...
If Gergovia falls though, it's lights out imo.
Can't think of anything else right now :S
Got it. Things look bleak.
We're building archers while we can build elephants? Even worse, 2 cities have gotten librairies, they won't help either.
I plan to just build soldiers and see how long we survive. AW hurts in this setting, raging barbs & going settler first delayed us a lot.
Yeah, I think we're toast. Losing Bibracte was my death knell and I'd be in favor of calling this one quits, starting a new game, and *not* letting Pholk build the start.
Anyhow, I'm about 75% certain Shaka will go for Vienne, too, which is why I have the troops up there. Problem is, he came from the north and has moved south a bit. Definitely not the direct path.
Separate names with a comma.