Photobucket Image Hosting

Hmm, I suppose one alternative is to setup as many google drive accounts as you need, and just upload your own stuff on there, but that might get a bit tedious.

At the moment, the mods that I've uploaded (and re-uploaded in some other cases) are hosted on my google drive, but I haven't tried using it for photos.

What I've been doing, since we came to the new site, is to upload the images I need for a thread directly onto the Download page, and then link back to those images in the thread. On the other hand, the photobucket images I'm using in the Art Nouveau Interface Thread in the Graphics Mod forum are working fine, still.

Last edited:
Laurana Kanan... What I was referring to when I stated that I had not used anywhere near the free GB of space (3%) was that I believe there should be a difference between the Cost of Hosting a smaller number of images compared to Unlimited Hosting for $399.00.

Last edited:
Well... "these times are a changin"... I would pay for what I want but this $399.00 is absurd for the small amount of images I
have compared to the UNLIMITED amount
I have only used 3% and only 409 images and they will Charge me 399.00 for that!????

NOT Fair Business practice...

I do not know who did this but he or she is STUPID!!!!! Get it?

So You Need or want money./..., do that in an ethical way.

OF course Unlimited means NO End.... why do I have to pay the same amount of money??????????????????????????????????????????

What is a "CDN"? I keep reading that various hosting services don't allow that.

What is a "CDN"? I keep reading that various hosting services don't allow that.

Content Distribution/Delivery Network. The wiki isn't too verbose. The gist of it is that CDNs are responsible for hosting and distributing the content you need readily available and accessible like videos and images. Imgur isn't a true CDN; in fact, they use Fastly as their CDN provider. That makes it 'problematic' from a resource use and financial perspective if people, especially highly-trafficked sites, are using Imgur as the host for all of their daily-loaded content.

I've basically already eliminated Imgur from my list of potential sites to use for forum stuff. It might do for avatars and captioning, but for stuff that can't be shared publicly, it's not going to work. I need an image hosting site that allows 3rd party hosting and private albums, because some of the images I use are allowed only if I stash them in private albums. Millan (a smiley artist) is pretty strict about things like this - she'd have blocked me from using any of her images as forum icons if I hadn't made my Photobucket account private.

Stopped using Photobucket a few years ago because they made it extremely user-UNfriendly with some site redesign, and stuffed even more spam in (or ads as people miscall them). Have used imgur for now, but it sounds like that isn't a great option either. I only use some screenshots and such for games, no mods or the like, so presumably the page load is very light.

Very frustrating that one service after the other is turning on its head. Photobucket's move here is nothing short of extortionate.

Very frustrating that one service after the other is turning on its head. Photobucket's move here is nothing short of extortionate.
I agree... That said. We will have to "deal" with what is "Trending".

Lets face it, we will have to py for anything we want IF we can. That is a move that can and I believe Will affect the sites we have used.

...Probably go out of business with their policies like Image Shake.

But in the mean time. There are things we can do, however temporary...and that is the problem. IF I try to replace all of the images I have done here at Civfanatics over the past over 10 years, that would require a tremendous amount of work.

So guess this means no Images or Unit Previews, etc... Time are changing and Not so sure I appreciate it.

I will probably at least post some images on my Game Releases but to Replace all of my posts over 10+ years again is too extreme.

I have used only 3% of my Photobucket Free Account (409 Images).... that is nothing compared to Unlimited Hosting IF I pay them 399.00 a Year... Ridiculous!!!

So My Threads and Unit Uploads, etc... here over the past 10 years will Not be seen.

I have my images but the Time cost to try to replace them all is Extreme.

Got a mail from them as well now. Means my account was still active (and I probably have a few hundred pictures there tbh, though WAY short of 1GB or whatever the limitation was). They successfully managed to push me away years ago though, so little harm for me, and I have to assume they will succeed to push many more away with this douchebag move.

Spoiler :

WE NOTICED THAT YOU HAVE BEEN USING PHOTOBUCKET FOR PHOTOS
PLEASE UPGRADE TO A PLUS 500 PLAN :satan:
(Do you have a horse? On a completely unrelated matter, the Godfather movies are quite good).

Our Terms of Service does not allow image hosting with your current account level.
UPGRADE NOW :ar15::whipped:

Why Photobucket?

Photobucket is the global destination for waste management linking and 3rd party hosting. In Photobucket’s 14-year history, the Company amassed over 100 million registered users, over 15 billion images stored, 2 million daily uploads and 10 billion photos accessed monthly.

Bloody hard to Use – Upload a photo from any device and spend the better part of two hours trying to figure out how to embed it anywhere.

Extortionate, fixed pricing Offers the only unlimited 3rd party hosting plan (Commercial and Personal Use) in North Korea

Are my pictures still safe?

:lol::lol: Are nuts!? :wow: What do you think this is all about?! All your photos are still available by logging into your Photobucket Account -- for now... :devil: Photobucket has only restricted the ability to view your photos anywhere outside North Korea.

Can I download my Photos?

Maybe, for the time being. Depends how tech savy you are. It is an easy thirty-seven step process, with only three burning hoops to jump through:

Step 1. Login to your Photobucket Account

Step 2. Navigate to your library page

Step 36. View a photo and click the download button

Step 37. The picture will be saved to your computer (Maybe. Most likely you need to repeat this process a silly amount of times over the next four months to download your pictures -- unless we just burn them in a garbage heap outside our Lair)

After an unspecified amount of time (but not tomorrow, no, definitely not tomorrow) we may (which of course means will, you know that by now, yes?) stab a kitten in the neck for every picture still in your account. You have seen how cute they are, right? :devil:

:backstab::backstab::backstab:

You can help free up valuable forum server space and also improve forum performance by deleting any attachments you no longer need at the attachment management section of your User CP.
I remember I saw this "attachment management section" when we were still on vBulletin (and I was using it to delete attachments from very old threads whenever I was approaching the 60 MB limit we had back then). But since we switched to XenForo, I can't find that section anymore. Am I just blind, or is this feature no longer available?

Also it seems that all of my attachments from before the forum upgrade are lost, while some other people's attachments survived?!
(E.g. here is a page from 2010, which still has it's original attachments: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/sgfn-08-random-awm-succession-game.359115/page-8#post-9075541 )

@ Lanzelot -

1) Many of the details of that post are no longer valid. I just mentioned it because the general principle still holds.
2) A lot of things got screwed up in the process. Missing attachments, broken links to content that still exists, ... I've even come across things in "official" posts that are broken. And there does not seem to be any pattern to what is broken.

This affects AAR writers even more than modders.

Gotta find a new host and re-link everything... man, it'll be a chore, especially since I'm not in a mood for drugdework like this now.

Considering Flickr.
Any reason to avoid them?
Any recommendations from CFC staff?
I've read that it's good for personal photos. They have a strong preference that people don't post generic stuff they don't own the copyright for. I've had to eliminate that site on that basis since I need a place to host forum banners, icons, smileys, avatars, backgrounds, and so on.

Top Bottom