Planetfall

Hi Maniac,
I've been playing this mod for a few weeks. Great job!
I just installed patch 13h and started a custom game with Random seed on.
I was Morgan and Miriam won a Transcendence victory in turn 11. I don't know what she did to win.

Patch 13i for Planetfall, the Alpha Centauri total conversion mod for Civ4 BtS, has been released. This patch needs to be applied on top of the main v13 file of Planetfall. Patch i is incompatible with games started under previous patches.

Changelog:

1. Transcendence Victory fixed, this time for real.
2. The Temple of Planet building now reduces the negative Planet effect of population by 25%.
3. The "corporation" effects of the Temple of Planet have been moved to the Brood Pit building.

I wasn't able to find keywords which got me an answer when searching, so here is my question: how can I leave the concordate?
(I really don't need to be dragged into one war after another by the other members...I also wonder how a member can have so many votes with so little population, while I have just 1 vote, but rank among the largest factions?)

The Concordate's a religious gathering. It's a lot like the Apostolic Palace: those with christian populations (or whatever religion it's built for) get votes, you get more votes with more cities worshipping christianity, and more votes for endorsing it as your main religion.

As for not joining in pointless wars, you could always try defying the resolutions. Your one city with Voice of Planet will hate you for it, but you'll be out of the war, and it'll eventually wear off...oh, and there's a diplo hit too, I think. Just with Concordate members though, I'd think.

Your votes in the Concordat Council are determined by your Planet Attitude, not by population size or by your religion.

Hover with your mouse over the green heart in the upper left corner of the screen.

But there is no way to leave them?

And thanks for the info, I have to take a deeper look into that. Some of the rules for this mod are not so easy to find, so I found already a few of the traps for the unweary :)

(Tbh I can't even remember how I joined them, unless it was a too hasty click on something I thought is from the Planetary Council...)

Vatras,

Whenever your empire as a whole is generating plantary points (the little green squiggle thingie), you become part of the Concordant. It's something automatic. Since I've always had control of the Concordant in all the games Ive played, I've always had the power of proposal and usually the most votes :)

You can defy the resolutions as you so choose. The negative for defying is less than actually going to war with someone. I am not sure of you can "leave the concordant" like you can with the planetary council (Maybe another civic choice?) If anything, just destroy all the fungus in your area and your guaranteed to have negative planetary value :)

Good Luck!

Some of the rules for this mod are not so easy to find, so I found already a few of the traps for the unweary :)

Do list what these traps are. Then I can add some tips in the Hints section or Planetfall Concepts section of the Datalinks. Have you read those for the record? Always a good place to start.

(Tbh I can't even remember how I joined them, unless it was a too hasty click on something I thought is from the Planetary Council...)

You join automatically when you have a positive Planet Attitude and someone founds the Concordat. There's no way to leave, but as said if you prefer you can just defy every resolution. In some unspecified future I hope to add that defying a Concordat motion will cause a Planet penalty in all your bases for a couple turns. So if you would constantly defy the Concordat, your Planet Attitude would drop and you'd be automatically kicked out of the Concordat after a while.

@Maniac
What I can think offhand:
- When you set the automated formers to not build bunkers, they still do sometimes. I think this may have something to do with the ridges...there was a hint about being able to build mag-lines to ridges, if a bunker was there or something like that, and I think the former was trying to make a connection, which caused him to become a bunker.

- It is not clear when hurrying buildings by cash becomes available. In my first try of the mod I played Zhakarov and never could buy anything. In my second I tried Morgan, because I thought it possible that its a thing for his faction only, and found I could not either. Later on in that game, though, I got the ability to buy stuff, although I have no idea at what point (second half of the game anyway).

- Native life forms are pretty deadly, especially if someone is showering you with them (I suspect it is Deirdre, who sends them anonymously, as it happens mostly on borders with her). I was unaware of the psionic combat rules, which made me think them not too dangerous at first.

- It seems a very combat oriented mod, and I am more of a builder. I realised only after checking the modifiers that it's impossible to keep peace...some small faction comes and demands ridiculous tribute and after denying you have -2; plus the -2 because you are ahead of them; and usually the close borders which spark tensions...one civic they dont like, and its war. So building an army from the start is
a must, and small defensive forces won't do.

- I thought at first you have to research stuff in the tech tree from the basics on. I found only by accident that you can pick something for which you never made it's lower techs (in this case I picked the tech allowing me to build rotors). I got the idea when I clicked on a tech to see what the path to it is, and the game suggested two steps in the uppermost branch and then two in the lowest, which have no connections at all. I have not checked, if that works for techs which are more than one step higher up in the tree; it might work only if I have one tech in each vertical column before it.

Probably most people know about that anyway, but I havent played the original SMAC, and I did about 90% of the time FfH when playing Civ IV, which is pretty different from normal Civ.
Planetfall is good, btw, once you get used to it :)

What would interest me is:
- When can who hurry things by using credits?
- Is there a table hidden somewhere explaining all the symbols? I could guess what most of them meant by looking around the screens, but I didn't find a page which simply lists them.
- Is there a meaning behind the symbols and colors of the various techs?

It seems a very combat oriented mod, and I am more of a builder.

Boy, Maniac and Vatras, can I second that! The thing is Vatras is that, as far as I can see, you have to master late techs to handle the native life. Most of the combat units you are given both on land and at sea but, particularly on land, don't have defensive bonuses, particularly psi ones, unlike in the original SMAC when you could outfit even your formers with a psi defence capability.

The "eye-candy" just gets prettier and prettier, I shall hand that to you, Maniac, and thank you for it, but the game doesn't get any easier even on the nursery slopes.

Incidentally, why can't we harvest the flora and fauna we kill in Planetfall? We could do that in SMAC and I can't foresee any ideological objection anyone might have to that.

Live long and prosper.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I can't think of what more I could do for most of the things you list. :-s

- When you set the automated formers to not build bunkers, they still do sometimes.

That shouldn't be happening. If you have a save of a turn just prior to an automated former starting to build a bunker, please attach it to a post!

- It is not clear when hurrying buildings by cash becomes available.

The Nanites tech allows hurrying buildings with credits. I'll add a note saying so when you hover your mouse over the hurry button in the base screen. The tech info already mentions Nanites enables hurrying buildings though.

I was unaware of the psionic combat rules, which made me think them not too dangerous at first.

Psi combat is explained in the Datalinks' Planetfall Concepts page, so here I don't know what more I can do.

It seems a very combat oriented mod, and I am more of a builder. I realised only after checking the modifiers that it's impossible to keep peace...some small faction comes and demands ridiculous tribute and after denying you have -2; plus the -2 because you are ahead of them; and usually the close borders which spark tensions...one civic they dont like, and its war. So building an army from the start is
a must, and small defensive forces won't do.

I hope to encourage war between Terraformers and Hybrids, but all the relationship modifiers you list here also exist in vanilla Civ4, so that can't be it. It's definitely possibly to have good relations with factions. Planetfall does include Better BTS AI though. So if you are weak militarily and an AI doesn't like you, the AI might be more likely to take advantage of that compared to vanilla Civ4 or Fall from Heaven.

I thought at first you have to research stuff in the tech tree from the basics on. I found only by accident that you can pick something for which you never made it's lower techs

Except for IIRC Centauri Ecology for which you must have researched Centauri Empathy, all connections you see on the F6 screen are OR-prerequisites. Meaning you only need one of the two possible prerequisites to research the tech in question. For the rest there's no difference with how research works in vanilla Civ4. I'll add a hint saying this.

- Is there a table hidden somewhere explaining all the symbols? I could guess what most of them meant by looking around the screens, but I didn't find a page which simply lists them.

Nope no such table. What symbols do you mean by the way? Food/hammers/commerce/gold/culture and the various Planet-related icons? Any others?

Is there a meaning behind the symbols and colors of the various techs?

The symbols are all drawn from SMAC. They have associations behind them of course: a cross indicates something health-related, a circle something Planet-related. Likewise with the colours: green generally means it's good for Planet, yellow means it's good for your economy, orange means it's terraforming-related, Purple that it's genetics-related. Stuff like that. Hopefully this can help add some sense and order to an otherwise completely unfamiliar tech tree.

...but all the relationship modifiers you list here also exist in vanilla Civ4, so that can't be it.
Also worth mentioning: Planetfall includes the Show Hidden Attitude Mod, which reveals the negative attitude hit for being ahead of a rival - so that attitude hit *is* in vanilla CivIV, you just don't see it.

Also, since I'm a builder, let me chip in a bit: Planetfall (at least when I played it the last time, a couple of weeks ago) is a bit harder on them, mainly for three reasons:
a) Native life (whether it's because it's an enemy or because you have a less-production oriented Hybrid economy in order to deal with natives) drains resources compared to vanilla CivIV, meaning you have less potential for just building.
b) Yang is an annoying war-monger, but unlike the notorious war-mongers in CivIV (e.g. Montezuma or Tokugawa), it's harder to outtech him, which throws a wrench into the usual builder strategy (i.e. superiority through pure tech advantage)
c) The Planetfall tech tree is a lot more sprawling than the CivIV tech tree (which forces a strong direction on you), so it's easy to get "lost" (and Vatras mentioned that he went through the base techs first), meaning even if you have an advantage in pure number of techs, you can still suffer from having crappy units, hence, your military strength is lower and other factions are more likely to become hostile.

In my mind, these are more or less *features* of Planetfall, but being aware of these quirks might help with overcoming these problems as a builder.

Cheers, LT.

Also keep in mind that alot of the units have some specific roles. When I play diedre, I can play a good offensive defense very well on fungus and forest tiles. The strengths of units are fairly comparable until you hit the end of the tech tree. It requires alot of units but you dont need alot of high strength guys to fend off an invasion.

There should still be a defensive bonus for fungus and hybrid forest for native units you control or atleast allow for a promotion to do so. Many have a fungus attack promotion, should have a defensive one also either as a seperate promotion or stacked with the attackers promo.

Hey. I stumbled across this mod a few days ago and really love it. Been a big fan of the original SMAC and Planetfall pushes all the right buttons for me. So, thank you to anyone helping to create this wonderful waste of time. Keep up the good work!

Ah had found this before but didn't have time to mess with it. Now that you have added a transcendance victory ;) seemed like the time to get in. Your link to buy the game still works by the way bought a copy for myself there just so that I could have the sounds for your mod (my discs got lost several moves ago) now finding out I don't remember how to play Alpha Centauri at all...here is hoping you don't switch over to civ V in a few months and abandon this project!

Yup these are all features in so much as they were part of AC and for many of us what made it good. You have to be very careful about what you research when and how you go about it much more so than even in Civ IV (which has a much more sprawling tech tree than other Civ versions really). I am hoping civ V stays with this and doesn't go back to the one way to go through tech tree of civ III and earlier.

Pretty sure growth will be slower as well, at least it is slower in AC.

Also worth mentioning: Planetfall includes the Show Hidden Attitude Mod, which reveals the negative attitude hit for being ahead of a rival - so that attitude hit *is* in vanilla CivIV, you just don't see it.

Also, since I'm a builder, let me chip in a bit: Planetfall (at least when I played it the last time, a couple of weeks ago) is a bit harder on them, mainly for three reasons:
a) Native life (whether it's because it's an enemy or because you have a less-production oriented Hybrid economy in order to deal with natives) drains resources compared to vanilla CivIV, meaning you have less potential for just building.
b) Yang is an annoying war-monger, but unlike the notorious war-mongers in CivIV (e.g. Montezuma or Tokugawa), it's harder to outtech him, which throws a wrench into the usual builder strategy (i.e. superiority through pure tech advantage)
c) The Planetfall tech tree is a lot more sprawling than the CivIV tech tree (which forces a strong direction on you), so it's easy to get "lost" (and Vatras mentioned that he went through the base techs first), meaning even if you have an advantage in pure number of techs, you can still suffer from having crappy units, hence, your military strength is lower and other factions are more likely to become hostile.

In my mind, these are more or less *features* of Planetfall, but being aware of these quirks might help with overcoming these problems as a builder.

Cheers, LT.

My friend and I are interested in trying this in LAN multiplayer.

Is this mod multi friendly? will it go out of synch every three turns or stay stable?

My friend and I are interested in trying this in LAN multiplayer.

Is this mod multi friendly? will it go out of synch every three turns or stay stable?

There were reports of OOS errors in the past (~50 turns into the game). The might have been solved with newer versions, but were not specifically targeted by patches (because the reason for these errors is still not known).

Can you install this mod (usually installed via .exe) on a mac? Is there any .zip containing all the files for example?

Hhmm-as a total conversion mod, would you be able to ascribe a percentage to how similar this is to SMAC? Or is it actually improved? Havnt had a chance to look through any documentation and sadly i lost my BTS copy, and then i also lost my cIV copy :/

Top Bottom