1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Plans for V28

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by ls612, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

What precisely do you mean by 'a mountain pass'. My view is that (in terms of the Civ map) that would be a non-mountain hill between mountain tiles, in which case the answer would be 'yes', but if you mean something else...

2. Taxman66

Taxman66 King

There are occasions where you can move between mountatins to get to a square on the otherside of the range. Usually this occures on diagnol moves.

3. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

That will be fine - diagonal spread will work for culture (it will slow it a little but not much). You'll also be able to actively encourage it by building a route from your city through the pass.

4. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Again my suggestions and concerns on this have been ignored:mad:. Maybe I should give up and get my morning coffee. To me the biggest problem is in the prehistoric era. This mechanism is fine for an agricultural nation where it makes sense that cleared land that you can farm is acquired before any others but before agriculture it just means that you acquire useless plots when more useful plots are available eg that forested hill with obsidian.

The idea that a wonder requires x buildings before you can build it is used extensively in vanilla civ so I would have thought that the AI would know how to use it. The Forbidden Palace requires 10 courthouses is the one that comes to mind.

5. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

My first steps in V28 will be to make a tag for orbital buildings (think SMAC), and set up Cyberwarfare. I'll detail those two things more fully in due time, but I think I can do it (cyberwarfare anyways, the orbital tag may end up requiring some complicated SDK).

6. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Did you actually read it? Two things both make it pretty easy to get obsidian/stone on that hill:
    • Revealed resources will significantly reduce the cost of a tile
    • Routes will reduce costs

So once you reveal the resource the hill will cost about the same as (and therefore happen as soon as) grassland (tuning via global define can vary that, but that's about my intent). If you build routes to the tiles you want that will also cause culture to flow there faster.

How is this ignoring the concern?

7. LumenAngel

LumenAngel King

But in prehistoric era, a tile with forest is often better than a tile without forest...
    Feature are used for this calcul too? because a tile with an oasis is really good, but one with some nuclear pollution (or worst : indigenous ppl), not really...

8. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

I have no intention of making 'realistic' mean 'maximum output' or 'optimal'. It's easier for culture to spread where habitation can/does, so I'm only planning on biasing it towards places that are harder to reach for extra-ordinary attraction (aka revealed resources). However, you have the option of building routes if you want to encourage certain spreads (to forests for example, though forests will be spread into fairly easily anyway).

9. wolfensoul9

wolfensoul9 Warlord

These two sentences seem to be contradictory to me.

Besides, the fact is, maximum output IS realistic. Cities will naturally expand towards land that will benefit them. They're not stupid.

Making an exception for resources, but not for other high yield tiles is arbitrary.

10. LumenAngel

LumenAngel King

Yes, in a desert, I really think everyone will rush for this oasis ^^
    A problem in my actual game was with tar pit : it take lot of turn to have it in my culture border, bu I was really in need for it

11. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Fair enough, but 'high yield' is subjective. If you mean 'total of hammer + food + commerce count' then I can agree (in which case grassland = forest). This would indeed cause the oasis to get a boost. I can go with that, but I have trouble with more subjective measures (hammers > commerce say) which are implied by something that would boost a forest over grasslands.

How about if I use total unimproved tile output (as I defined it above) as a cost reducer (revealed bonuses would still be a further reducer - I especially want to keep them special to address the DH point of the canonical stone-on-hill issue). That way you get things like oasis naturally and can still 'steer' with routes if you really want to promote (say) forests...?

12. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Can you "steer" RCS with trails and mudpaths now in any way?

JosEPh

13. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

I don't believe so, but I'm not 100% sure. If you can it has little effect on the current system based on my experience.

14. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

In the game I'm testing RCS in, I had a tile become part of my Culture after I won a combat on it. Might have been just coincidence though. Because I don't have FB On in that game.

Trying test games with a lot these Options I don't normally use. And also trying to be more aggressive. I'm a defensive builder type usually. Although this mod has made me be more aggressive than I ever used to be.

JosEPh

15. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

That's not RCS, that's culturally driven war (or whatever it's called). It happens with out RCS too, and is a totally independent mechanism

16. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

IDW yeah, hard to keep up with all these options anymore. :old:

JosEPh ;)

17. wolfensoul9

wolfensoul9 Warlord

Sounds great with the total unimproved tile output focus. Though, forests naturally have a higher yield than grasslands...two food one hammer vs. two food.

18. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Ah yes, I was thinking grassland had a commerce, but that's only next to a river isn't it.

19. Necratoid

Necratoid Warlord

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that there should be a faster spread in the tiles around the ones your actively using. Working a tile means people are actively in the area and thus will be more likely enter the surrounding tiles. When we are talking the prehistoric we should also add in bonus spread weight to tiles that have a 'sacrifice gatherer to build' improvements... you know as people are by default hanging out on the tile.

20. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Good idea :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.