[Civ2] Play as Barbarians: how to do it (WITHOUT hex editor) & basic tips

Japanese Partisan

Chieftain
First of all, full credit goes to users Count_Triple and SlowThinker for figuring out the method itself and the mechanics of barbarian combat, respectively. Thank you for your discoveries!

Now then, how to take over for Attila, the Barbarian leader (thanks, Count_Triple):

1. Start a new game using any settings you wish. Note that Barbarian attack strength is modified by the difficulty level (Chieftain = x0.25, Warlord = x0.50, etc., increasing by 0.25 per level up to Deity = x1.50)
2. Toggle Cheat Mode and reveal the entire map
3. Using the Set Human Player menu option, choose No Human Player. The other AI civs will take one turn
4. Now that you can see where the other civs have settled, pick your starting point and select it on the map
5. Reveal the map for the Barbarian player only - this blacks out the map again
6. Create a Settler and click on it
7. Press Enter or click in the Status window to take control of it. You are now controlling the Barbarians.

Here are some idiosyncrasies of Barbarian combat (thanks, SlowThinker):

1. AI units have doubled Defense against Barbarian attacks.
2. Units in a city defending against a Barbarian attack have their Firepower multiplied by 2.5, unless the city has a Palace, in which case Firepower is increased six-fold (x6).
3. Units defending a civ's only city will always win.
4. Certain Barbarian units have nonstandard combat strengths; e.g., Barbarian Archers seem to have 1 Defense rather than 2. There may be more differences; more testing is needed.

Here are more observations from the few games I've played as Attila:

1. The map does not update between moves automatically. Your attacks may not seem to do anything. Right-click or press "c" to recenter the map view to refresh the map.
2. Your cities cannot fall into civil disorder, but do not generate any tax revenue. Capturing cities also grants no Gold.
3. Scientific advances are forgotten as soon as they are received. You may set your Science rate to 0% with no repercussions.
4. Any units you produce will have no home city (i.e., will be NONE units). However, bribed units follow standard Civ 2 rules.
5. Your cities may stop producing shields entirely for no obvious reason. This glitch seems to affect entire islands/continents at a time, and can only be worked around by building new cities on a different island/continent (until that one is affected too) -- more testing is definitely needed to see what triggers this.

And finally, here are some tricks to get you started:

1. You may only ever produce Warriors, Settlers and Barracks. This combined with the no-production glitch (#5 above) makes the game even tougher as it goes on. To tip the scales a bit, consider...If every other civ has discovered, say, Feudalism, is it cheating to disband two Warriors and create a Pikemen for yourself? That's your choice to make.
2. You can always build Barracks and sell them for 40 gold to build up a treasury with which to bribe (see below).
3. Your Barbarian leaders are fully functional Diplomats and may be used to bribe units, incite revolts, and investigate cities. They may also establish embassies, with which you may finagle gold from AI civs in "peace treaty" negotiations (said treaty has no effect since you are, of course, a barbarian).
4. Your units are much stronger on defense than they are on offense, relatively speaking. Try to put your Warriors on good terrain and goad the enemy into a suicide attack, then use your more precious units to finish them off. When you start getting Musketeers, Partisans, and Riflemen, use them the same way.
5. As you are saddled with Despotism, don't bother irrigating grassland -- it'll still produce two food.

Ultimately, the fact that combat is literally unwinnable against a civ's last remaining city limits what you can do as the Barbarian leader, but you are free to set your own win condition or twist the rules a bit. (Destroying the palace and sending a Diplomat in will still work, incidentally...) Hope you enjoy playing as the Barbs!

Hi!

Thanks for this interesting compilation!
About the point of stopping productions:
5. Your cities may stop producing shields entirely for no obvious reason. This glitch seems to affect entire islands/continents at a time, and can only be worked around by building new cities on a different island/continent (until that one is affected too) -- more testing is definitely needed to see what triggers this.
@TheNamelessOne seems to have unraveled that mystery, he told me that
"I don't know about the technologies, but the number of shields is set to 0 for a barbarian city that has a defender and more than 16 combat units on the same continent as the city."

And he's checking whether it's possible to disable that in a cosmic parameter in the Test of Time Patch Project somewhen in the future :)

Best, Kathy

Hi!

Thanks for this interesting compilation!
About the point of stopping productions:

@TheNamelessOne seems to have unraveled that mystery, he told me that
"I don't know about the technologies, but the number of shields is set to 0 for a barbarian city that has a defender and more than 16 combat units on the same continent as the city."

And he's checking whether it's possible to disable that in a cosmic parameter in the Test of Time Patch Project somewhen in the future :)

Best, Kathy

Thanks for this. I'm playing a Civ 2 barbarian game at the moment and pretty much all my cities stopped producing anything. I took the defending units out of the city and just fortified them 1 square away (so they can go back in if any one attacks) and sure enough all my barb cities came back to life!

Forgot to post here a while back that after successfully finishing my Civ 1 Barbarian game I have since successfully finished my Civ 2 Barbarian game and was victorious! @Japanese Partisan 's post above was immensely helpful with getting me started.

I was able to find ways around most of the issues thanks to 3rd party editors. CivTweak & CivCity editors (both available here at CivFanatics) allow you to change the Barb government to whatever you want and change their city build ques to whatever unit I wanted (they still don't let barb cities build que buildings though but you can edit buildings into the cities). I had a city endlessly building and selling barracks, a city building endless phalanx, a city building chariots, and a city building catapults. I kept defending units in the squares around the cities to avoid the build freeze issue mentioned above.

I've a done a video tutorial on how to do all this but its not quite ready yet so for now I'll just stick a summary below and post some pictures!

Alternative method to take control of barbarians:
1. Give Orders to your starting Settler (eg build city) so that End of Turn appears in status window.
2. Toggle Cheat Mode and reveal the entire map
2. Now that you can see where the other civs have settled, pick your starting point and select it on the map
3. Go to Create Unit in cheat menu, select Settler, Click foreign button and select Barbarian
4. Reveal the map for the Barbarian player only - this blacks out the map again (except around your settler)
5. Click on Settler
6. Press Enter or click in the Status window to take control of it. You are now controlling the Barbarians.

Things that don’t work
Map doesn’t auto refresh after Barb moves/combat so you have to press C a lot. No tax (cheat money & then sell barracks), no science (can’t steal or trade either), no throne, no government, limited city build options, AI players LAST city defence is invulnerable, the AI capitals have HUGE defense bonuses against barbs, respawning civs will wipe any nearbye barb units off the map, cities will randomly stop producing anything (due to a defender and 16 units on continent, but there’s a workaround).

Things that work
You get lots of randomly spawning reinforcements, all created barb units are 'NONE' home city free, luxuries still work however there is no rioting in barb cities, settlers will work the land and create cities, barbs get lots of free diplomats, you can destroy civs as Barbs by either:
1. Wait until they make a second city and then attack & capture their capital and then use a dip to bribe the remaining city.
2. Wait until they make a second city and then attack BOTH cities with 2 large forces until both cities are empty. Once both are empty you can take both cities as the invulnerable last defense unit doesn't apply when there's no units left in the last city haha.

Other interesting stuff & tips
Barbarians are stronger at deity however I'm not sure if that still applies when the human player takes control of them. Annoying unit auto pillage and no city build que change from Barb's in Civ 1 issues are thankfully gone in Civ2. AI’s will get 3 respawns (sometimes even more) meaning its technically you verses 21 civs, not 7 or 14! You can use 3rd party editors to fix Barb city build ques and government. Wait for civs to get 2 cities then strike but you need to rush, AI deity will cheat its ass off & once they’ve got industrial age techs you’re in trouble, once they get modern you’re dead! Just like in Civ 1 you can win as Barbs and get the ending sequence! When you load a save game in a freshly started civ 2 app it will skip to the next turn essentially giving you free moves against the AI. Simply reload your save again and it should load correctly.

Attachments

• Civ2Barb.png
    Civ2Barb.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 591
Last edited:
Top Bottom