• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Play the World first Screenshots!

Argentina doesnt exist anymore, so not way to include us in the game...., i think that portugal should be included, and for a south american civ, no doubt that incas is the choice....

What would be nice would be having an option for a male or female leaderhead for each civ: Napoleon or Joan for example. I know you can change your sex as it is now for leader purposes, but you would still have Joan's leaderhead if you chose male gender.

Is it such a big challenge to have to put yourself in the shoes of someone of the opposite sex? I for one am looking forward to playing Isabella.

-askROM

art: http://www.graphpaper.com
sci: http://www.askrom.com

Originally posted by Richard III
Some posters seem to be confusing the whole issue of modern vs. medieval civ in life and in the game. Spain is not "industrial" for civ purposes since its UU would (apparently) give it highest odds of a golden age in the medieval period.

I don't know about everyone else, but when I'm complaining about the lack of "modernity," I mean modern UUs to balance the game out. ALL of the new civs and UUs described so far seem to be medieval or ancient. Perhaps the Turks will have something new, but I doubt it. If there are any turks.

I also hope they break free from the "extra dollar" model of UUs, where each UU really seems to be nothing more than a mutant of a real unit. I love the War Elephant because it's different: the fact that you don't need iron/horses is a game advantage distinct from a simple defence bonus. So, for example, I would hope they have an Inca scout/worker combo or something instead of a useless military unit with a 1 point bonus to liven things up, or the Conquistador could have a marine function as well.

R.III

EXACTLY. :goodjob:

The "extra dollar" syndrome that you mention just makes the whole UU concept feel cheap and superflous, when in fact it should be a key component of the game. In fact, I'm all for civs having more than just one UU. Some civs could have three, others four, some only one or two......this would be balanced by other benefits. A civ with four UU's couldn't expect any other bonuses, while a civ with just one could be granted other game-balancing benefits.......I'm all for further differentiating the civs from each other. Unique city graphics for each civ would have been excellent, instead of just the four different cultural subsets......(I mean, really, does Oriental architecture suit the Indians? :cry: )

I also would like to see more uus per civ; I also would like to see pan-civ uus; for example, the European civs could share some variation of bowman while the Asian civs share an alternate version; kind of spice up the cultural-link concept. (I am not enough of a military historian to know what units would be specifically useful for this idea.)

The New UU's ?

Mongols (UU: Keshik) (4.2.2) -- A horsemen with +2 Attack AND +1 Defense? Maybe it needs Horses AND Iron

Spanish (UU: Conquistador) (5.3.2) -- Knight with +1 Attack (Also hopefully the LAST Knight-based UU)

Vikings (UU: Berserk) (2.1.1) -- Warrior with +1 Attack -- This is almost better than Persian Immortal IMO

Koreans (UU: Hwacha) -- I don't know, a Cannon UU maybe with +1 Range and Rate of Fire for 8.2.2 ? They should have gone with the Turtle Ship (A Manowar (Frigate) with a bombard range of 2 ?

If Carthage is really one of the civs (It could be art dept. markup), there ele will be (oops, another Knight-based unit), but he'll be 4.3.2 and will need iron but no horses, obviously, cause they are going to be eles. *groan*

These UU's suck.

**sigh**

Originally posted by Richard III
I don't know about everyone else, but when I'm complaining about the lack of "modernity," I mean modern UUs to balance the game out. ALL of the new civs and UUs described so far seem to be medieval or ancient.

While I agree with this, to provide a decent modern era UU there would have to be changes to how the game progresses through the later stages of the game to be able to use it. Apart from the novelty value how many have actually used the F-16 as a core part of their end game strategy?

CIV3 is strong in the first two ages with many paths strategies to take but loses this variety in the late stages. It just becomes a mad tech race. I applaud Firaxis in the changes made from Civ2 to Civ3 with respect to Diplomacy and Culture :goodjob: as a step towards a new style of game, but basically CIV is a conquest game hence the focus on early millitary UUs.

Maybe CIV4 will have small non millitary nations "win" by being a world diplomatic broker, or economic powerhouse, or just everyones favourite trading partner. A tech tree with totally independant branches could support this as you have to really think about the option to get to modern armour because you then fall behind in the economic wonders/structures/gold that is down the other path.

Anyway, until then use those Mounted Warriors, War Elephants, Beserkers, conquistador, etc to get big and prosper;)

...about the other 2 civs. I dont suppose it's escaped your notice that, so far, all the ones we know about are those that were in Civ2, but so far not in Civ3? :)

.... go go Gough Whitlam

:rotfl:

Originally posted by D.Shaffer
...about the other 2 civs. I dont suppose it's escaped your notice that, so far, all the ones we know about are those that were in Civ2, but so far not in Civ3? :)
Korea was not in Civ2. :)

Originally posted by Phillip_martin

Maybe CIV4 will have small non millitary nations "win" by being a world diplomatic broker, or economic powerhouse, or just everyones favourite trading partner. A tech tree with totally independant branches could support this as you have to really think about the option to get to modern armour because you then fall behind in the economic wonders/structures/gold that is down the other path.

I also would like to see other ways of winning.

I have to disagree with that. There have been plenty of times where I was the smaller nation, around 4th in size out of 7. I still win peacefully, even if I do eradicate someone else. I've one diplomatic and spaceship like this.

And, does anyone have any idea what all those new buttons on the above the info box and new commands were? Except for perhaps a graph button at left, I can't for the life of me figure out...

Seems like they got ride of the buttons on the sides of each of the menus at the bottom and condensed them into 4 major buttons above the right menu. I was wondering when someone was going to mention that :lol: .. and you guys have wayyy to much time on your hands...

Ok i have this question.. if they used cheat codes/commands to get these screentshots out.. wouldn't that indicate that they are built into the game and just not interfaced ? if so.. why havent they released it ?

-proletarian- said:

One question. Why?
:confused:

Myself, I expected the Spanish UU to be a red-leather clad minstrel that costs 17 shields and has an ADM of 1.3.4 and requires uranium and is really cool and wins lots of battles and gets lots of chicks and adds 11 gold per turn to your treasury and...........:p

The Spanish UU is a conquistador. They rode on horses. Why does this confuse and disappoint you?

It doesn't confuse me, I just thought the conquistador would have muskets and stuff, not spears. You remember Cortes taking out the Aztecs? They were basically armed explorers. And yes, they did ride on horses. Maybe the resources should be Horses and Saltpeter, with an A/D/M of, say, 4/4/2 (treat all terrian as roads) and cost 60 or 70 shields instead of the normal explorer's 20.

Originally posted by siredgar
No screenshots of the editor yet??? WHAT ABOUT THE EDITOR?!!

It probably looks the same with a few extra buttons (add city, add unit) and a mini-map.

i was wondering about the korean uu. do you think it can trigger golden ages without changes in the editor?

This is what I found about the Hwacha on this webpage:

"Another article dated on Oct. 18, 1409, mentions the name of Choe Hae-san. On that day, King Taejong, Choson's third king, paid a visit to the test launching of ``hwacha'' (`fire cartwheel') and gave a horse each to two inventors, Choe Hae-san and Lee To.

Hwacha was a movable launcher mounted on a cartwheel, from which gunpowder released dozens of arrows equipped with iron-made wings. This gadget had searing fire-power, highly effective in striking the enemy.

The hwacha was greatly upgraded and positioned in the frontier in 1451. Later the movable launcher was utilized against the Japanese Invasion of 1592, a token of what Choe and his son contributed to the advancement of firearms and weaponry. "

Top Bottom