Playtest Feedback Thread

According to his profile, he hasn't been on since August 1st.

Yep, I saw that of course
Nevertheless I wanted to post this here, as I'm sure he will be back soon

Yep, I saw that of course
Nevertheless I wanted to post this here, as I'm sure he will be back soon

Here's hoping, would be sad if the project ended up dyin'.

Oh, man! I hope you can recover the essentials and get settled back down! It's almost like nature and fate want to keep you from finishing this!

Hurricane caused flooding, i may have lost everything. i am using a friend's playstation to write this

Bleh, that sucks, know first hand just how awful that can be. >.< When I first moved to PA, had most of my stuff stored in the basement till we could unpack a bit later that week. Huge storm, crappy construction... flooded basement.

Here's hoping everything turns out alright, Capo.

Capo, any update on how things are over there? Hoping everything's okay.
I was thinking, worst case scenario, me and a few of the other contributors could pitch together and polish up the mod, at least give it a release.

I still play the last beta a lot, never really encountered an error beyond the incorrect thumbnail for Musketmen on the build unit screen, and "Space Victory" sometimes displaying wrong in the text on the Victory/Power screen.

I wanna go back and touch up a few leaders in the mean time based on this constant play. Joshua... Joshua kinda needs a touch up. I'm finding him to be like Sitting Bull in the hands of the AI. He expands a lot, builds up a lot of units, makes a lot of spies, but he techs so horribly that I ended up trading him Agriculture for... I believe it was Construction?

He's extremely awesome in my own hands, though. I got 18 cities up, peacefully, in my last game by the time I had macemen. Spiritual's civic switching combined with nomadics maintenance cost reduction just makes him -fantastic-. I ended up converting all of my neighbors (including Hitler) into Judaism, and vassalized -Egypt-. Hooboy was that hilarious.

Here's hoping that everything's alright over there, and here's also hoping more people eventually get to enjoy what I still enjoy on a regular basis.

To anyone that still has the last playlist:

It's been a long time since we've seen an update, but lately for my own personal use I've been working at temporarily fixing some of the issues we've had since then, but for this one, I could use help.

The issue being that nukes cannot be built. I fixed the issue where Manhattan Project would repeatedly be able to be built, but I still can't find what's causing icbm and tactical nukes to not appear on the build list after the project has been built, uranium's been connected, and rocketry's been researched.

I've gone over the stuff under the unit and project infos, can't find the issue there, not sure what's getting in the way.

Thanks TAdF for your resolve. :goodjob:

The reason nothing has been done is because the computer I got to replace my last one is crap and can't play the mod. My old one is still lying around and I am hoping I can get someone to look at it and try to at least get my files back but I haven't been able to do it and this flood has basically ruined my life beyond civ, so it is not even a secondary or tertiary concern to me (unfortunately). I'd love to jump right back into modding, and I certainly do need the distraction, but I have a lot of bad things seeming to happen to me one after another, which gives me no time to play civ, and no money with which to buy a proper computer to do it on. I completely intend on modding again, I just don't have the resources to do it at the moment.

I am currently trying to recreate the mod as much as possible on the computer I currently have so I can at least keep up with modding, but it is slow-going. :(

EDIT: I suppose I should explain what exactly is not working. Firstly, certain leaders crash the game completely (dido for example), certain units crash the game completely (for whatever reason when I go into civilopedia the archer crashes the game), certain leaders and units just show up wrong (Clovis, Franco, Anunnaki missionary etc.). And this is all without me even starting the mod up. It loads up correctly and everything, it is just those issues, and with that happening it is difficult to mod it or play it. I suppose I could use static LH images for what I am working on, but if I can't really work on it at its full potential, how can I release it at its full potential?

Thanks TAdF for your resolve. :goodjob:

The reason nothing has been done is because the computer I got to replace my last one is crap and can't play the mod. My old one is still lying around and I am hoping I can get someone to look at it and try to at least get my files back but I haven't been able to do it and this flood has basically ruined my life beyond civ, so it is not even a secondary or tertiary concern to me (unfortunately). I'd love to jump right back into modding, and I certainly do need the distraction, but I have a lot of bad things seeming to happen to me one after another, which gives me no time to play civ, and no money with which to buy a proper computer to do it on. I completely intend on modding again, I just don't have the resources to do it at the moment.

I am currently trying to recreate the mod as much as possible on the computer I currently have so I can at least keep up with modding, but it is slow-going. :(

EDIT: I suppose I should explain what exactly is not working. Firstly, certain leaders crash the game completely (dido for example), certain units crash the game completely (for whatever reason when I go into civilopedia the archer crashes the game), certain leaders and units just show up wrong (Clovis, Franco, Anunnaki missionary etc.). And this is all without me even starting the mod up. It loads up correctly and everything, it is just those issues, and with that happening it is difficult to mod it or play it. I suppose I could use static LH images for what I am working on, but if I can't really work on it at its full potential, how can I release it at its full potential?

Just remember that if there's ever any way we can help, you've still got some modders anxiously watching that can offer their services in any way.

The version I linked you via PM is.. mostly stable. The only major bugs in it still are the lack of nukes, some text display errors on the victory screen (especially for Mastery Victory), and some little graphical errors like a pink dot by the head of the aesir missionary. Well, there's also the crash that can happen if you exit to the main menu somewhere after the 10% mark, but this seems to be an issue with all huge mods, and I'd call it quite minor.

I have been in PMs with a few other modders about my issue. It appears that I can in fact get my material back from my computer (the guy I was going to have do it has disappeared for some reason), so that is a plus. If you guys want to keep working on the mod I would appreciate it, but as I have said there is no way I can do it since the computer I have access to right now is unable to support it properly. I am trying to get in touch with Bakuel right now to retrieve some of the stuff he sent me that was never released, but it appears he has also gone missing (at least for the moment). So it isn't a total loss, but this mod has taken years to create (although I am including the first version also, which was released) so I am against giving up on it. In the meantime I would suggest checking out Xyth's History Rewritten, its an awesome mod and is very similar to mine in a lot of ways. :goodjob:

To those of you who continue to work on it, I am trying my best to get the early English and Dutch units taken care of. That is one area of glaring issues, another thing I wanted to do but haven't really written about it here was early American units. I was talking to Bakuel about them and we kicked around a few different ideas for ancient and medieval American units which I think everyone would really enjoy. I'll see if I can get those made too.

I have been in PMs with a few other modders about my issue. It appears that I can in fact get my material back from my computer (the guy I was going to have do it has disappeared for some reason), so that is a plus. If you guys want to keep working on the mod I would appreciate it, but as I have said there is no way I can do it since the computer I have access to right now is unable to support it properly. I am trying to get in touch with Bakuel right now to retrieve some of the stuff he sent me that was never released, but it appears he has also gone missing (at least for the moment). So it isn't a total loss, but this mod has taken years to create (although I am including the first version also, which was released) so I am against giving up on it. In the meantime I would suggest checking out Xyth's History Rewritten, its an awesome mod and is very similar to mine in a lot of ways. :goodjob:

To those of you who continue to work on it, I am trying my best to get the early English and Dutch units taken care of. That is one area of glaring issues, another thing I wanted to do but haven't really written about it here was early American units. I was talking to Bakuel about them and we kicked around a few different ideas for ancient and medieval American units which I think everyone would really enjoy. I'll see if I can get those made too.

Will be nice if we can get those units. I promise I will do my best to continue to finish up this mod. Think I'm getting closer to fixing this Manhattan Project issue, then after that, moving onto the incorrect menu infos.

Edit: Scratch that, I'm really at a loss as to how to fix Manhattan Project. I've tried everything I can think of, but it still does not enable nukes on build, all I could fix was the loop where it would repeatedly allow itself to be built. Here's hoping someone reading this can offer some help in that area.

TAdF, could you upload your latest work version somewhere?
I will try to look into that issue with nukes

TAdF, could you upload your latest work version somewhere?
I will try to look into that issue with nukes

I'll PM you the dropbox link here in a sec, uploading.

Looks like the new civilizations thread is gone, which is annoying.

Not sure where to post this. Did we ever discuss changing the name of the Vikings to Norse or Scandinavian?

Looks like the new civilizations thread is gone, which is annoying.

Not sure where to post this. Did we ever discuss changing the name of the Vikings to Norse or Scandinavian?

I'd vote Norse, personally. We had some nice seperate Scandinavian country modules last time around. Also why is the thread gone? Does Civfanatics actually prune threads like that?

IIRC, the problem we had with Norse was that it indicated a geographic location. And as you said Scandinavia was covered via various modpacks. So I think there are two real solutions here, the first would be to just continue to call them Vikings. The second, which I am starting to lean towards would be to give one of them the nod in the base mod (i.e. Calling them the Danish and making them the regular civ for Denmark) and cover the rest through modpacks.

Thoughts?

IIRC, the problem we had with Norse was that it indicated a geographic location. And as you said Scandinavia was covered via various modpacks. So I think there are two real solutions here, the first would be to just continue to call them Vikings. The second, which I am starting to lean towards would be to give one of them the nod in the base mod (i.e. Calling them the Danish and making them the regular civ for Denmark) and cover the rest through modpacks.

Thoughts?

Hmm.. maybe its best to keep them as vikings. The more I think about it, that era of their history was so important, historically, and so culturally significant, that the 'viking' rulers really do deserve separate recognition, moreso than even the Huns and Seljuks.

Top Bottom