1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Please Ban the Hammer Stacking Technique

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Kaitzilla, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

I'm starting this thread to officially ask the powers-that-be to add "Hammer Stacking" to the list of banned/exploit items for HOF games.

It is a very gamey way to ignore hard coded :hammers: overflow limits and effortlessly build up Hammer totals to complete any late-game Wonder or Space Part in 1 turn. (once the required tech is completed)
    This allows Space Race games to be completed many turns earlier than would otherwise be possible without extreme planning/effort using forests and whips.

The technique is outlined here:
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...-10-year-veteran.574724/page-29#post-14718921
    Further refining of the technique revealed that the hammer overflow limit could be exceeded every single turn by building a unit and then pillaging the required resource so the unit couldn't be built.
    Very quickly, a player can reach the absurd result of having 1000 overflow :hammers: from the previous turn.
    Spoiler :

Others on the forums also appear to support to removing this.
    And a PM:

So in conclusion, please ban "exceeding the :hammers: overflow cap by purposely building units that can't be completed".
    It hurts legit Space Race records.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  2. NobleZarkon

NobleZarkon Civ IV HoF Prince EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

3. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

The GOTM forums have instituted a ban here:
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/list-of-allowed-disallowed-exploits-strategies.152399/

I would word it to say:
    http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/rules.php?show=disallowed

Hammer Overflow Cap Exploit
    It is possible to exceed a city's maximum production overflow through repeated use of building units that are unable to be completed.
    This effectively allows Spaceship parts to be built before their technology is researched, and it is banned as an exploit.

4. lymond

lymond Rise Up! Hall of Fame Staff

tip of hat :hatsoff:

5. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Chieftain Supporter

How does one detect such an exploit?

Although this exploit should no doubt be banned, I'm against banning any exploit that can't be automatically detected.

The only exceptions are undetectable exploits that that give the player an insurmountable advantage.

6. NobleZarkon

NobleZarkon Civ IV HoF Prince EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

I've added the wording on this to the banned list. In general I agree with you STW that we should only ban things that can be automatically detected however it is clearly the consensus that this exploit gives an unsurmountable advantage.

7. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Chieftain Supporter

I agree with Kaitzilla's wording. I was just expressing my distaste for banning exploits that can't be automatically detected.

8. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Thanks NobleZarkon!