Please join TeamCFC: Become a Superhero and help Cure Cancer!

Ehem! IglooDude's and Genocidicbunny's Foldbeast. I house that monster for a couple months tyvm. :p

I stand corrected, you absolutely did.

Any hope for a foldbeast II? That thing was crazy and the team misses the contribution.

Unfortunately not. If electricity were cheaper, (read: damn near free) Id get a 8-core/4 GPU beast running again, but unfortunately, until PG&E decides to go out of its mind and does a fire sale of electricity, its pretty much out of the question.

Has there been any tangible benefit from doing this which we can see? not that i dont appreciate this is a good idea

wiki said:
The Pande Group's goal is to refine and improve the MD and Folding@home DC methods to the level where it will become an essential tool for MD research,[7] and to achieve that goal they collaborate with various scientific institutions.[8] As of January 13, 2010, seventy-two scientific research papers have been published using the project's work.[9] A University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign report dated October 22, 2002 states that Folding@home distributed simulations of protein folding are demonstrably accurate.[10]

According to that, this is primarily a proof of concept. Pande Group is trying to say "Hey, this is a viable method to do research!"

There's a recent paper they mention that looks at how flu viruses spread by binding to the complex sugar molecules lining the nasal passages. The difference in the sugar molecules between species is why the flu has to mutate to cross species barriers, the small difference between our sugar molecules and those of pigs is why flu can spread from pigs to us with only a small mutation. They have been using folding to look at the mutations needed to allow the flu to bond to different sugar molecules (and I suppose that leads to preventing the bonding) so it's not just curing cancer. PS: this is my very rough from memory summary - if you want the actual and 100% correct version it was mentioned on the front page of the Stanford site.

I was hoping to get a new desktop I could start folding (not in the league of the fold beast but it would have been a quad core) but now I've just been made redundant that will unfortunately have to wait. The old P4 is still folding (at 100%) and I fold on one core only of the laptop or it starts to have overheating problems, so 50% of that one.

Ehem! IglooDude's and Genocidicbunny's Foldbeast. I house that monster for a couple months tyvm. :p

I stand corrected, you absolutely did.

Any hope for a foldbeast II? That thing was crazy and the team misses the contribution.

I haven't forgotten the team - I'm going to try to get the original back online (in my garage) after I get back from the UK later this month, and run it for a week to see the effects on the temp in the room and the electric bill. :)

Has there been any tangible benefit from doing this which we can see?

I couldn't even pretend to be educated enough in this field to understand the science part of the project, but I have seen postings of some tangible benefits, both in research and in preliminary mention of a new drug for Alzheimer's Disease.

Basically for me it is simply a trust issue. Trustworthy scientists at a trustworthy institution have requested assistance with their research attempting to cure some pretty nasty diseases. As I am able to easily provide the assistance they requested, i.e. computer processing time, I gladly contribute.

F@H research papers (serious science :science: )

Possible new Alzheimer's drug

Huntington's Disease

Science questions/answers on folding forum

I was hoping to get a new desktop I could start folding (not in the league of the fold beast but it would have been a quad core) but now I've just been made redundant that will unfortunately have to wait. The old P4 is still folding (at 100%) and I fold on one core only of the laptop or it starts to have overheating problems, so 50% of that one.

Any work done is an advancement to science, whether it comes from a P4 or some ultra high-tech 32 core number-crunching monster. :)

...effects on the temp in the room...

It's nice in the wintertime. :mischief:

You are missed. Have fun in the UK and hope to see you active again soon.

Re-installed it on my desktop which is on pretty much 24/7 these days. I can't remember- is there a way to check when a WU may be completed?

Re-installed it on my desktop which is on pretty much 24/7 these days. I can't remember- is there a way to check when a WU may be completed?

1. In the file folder you put F@H there will be two files - FAHlog and FAHlog-Prev. These are the current and previous logs of your folding. A simple shortcut to FAHlog will allow you to check on your progress from time to time. The Work Unit project numbers and their point value credit/relative time to complete can be seen here.

2. There are specialized programs users have written that give more detailed information like WU completion ETA and points per day. The folding forum has them listed here. I use FahMon.

3. Once your completed WU has been successfully sent back to Stanford a few hours later it will post on the stats pages. If you use your exact same username/team number (BCLG100/47958) then yours will show here.

And welcome back. :)

Cheers, i'll look into putting one of them on this evening.

Same name and just copied and pasted team number so all should be fine there!

Hey guys. I have joined this team after spending years in team 0. Also, I have upgraded my client to SMP2 client ver6.29. Happy folding everyone.

Hey guys. I have joined this team after spending years in team 0. Also, I have upgraded my client to SMP2 client ver6.29. Happy folding everyone.

Hi, welcome!

Two hopefully helpful suggestions in case you don't already know:

1. With a switch to ver6.29 in order to receive the newest WUs be sure to either say yes to "Set -advmethods flag always" in the advanced options section of the client configuration, or add the -advmethods flag to your client.

2. And if you haven't already done so get a passkey emailed to you and add it to your client in the configuration. Your passkey will be qualified by your first 10 completed WUs, then you will start to receive bonus points based on the speed your WU's are completed.

If there is anything that we might be able to help with just ask. :)

Cheers, i'll look into putting one of them on this evening.

Same name and just copied and pasted team number so all should be fine there!

Nice to see you back. :clap:

I can't remember how fast it was meant to go but it managed to do 79/2500 in nearly 20 hours on my PC so i installed it on my laptop as i felt bad, does it still work if i place the thing on standby?

I can't remember how fast it was meant to go but it managed to do 79/2500 in nearly 20 hours on my PC so i installed it on my laptop as i felt bad, does it still work if i place the thing on standby?

Different Work Unit project numbers are of various sizes and fluctuate in how long each type takes to finish. There is one type worth 47 points that processes in less than a day. There is a 905 point WU project type that can take a week or more of processing. In your FAHlog there will be something like "Project: 10008 (Run xxx, Clone xxx, Gen xxx)". The size of that project can be looked up on on the Project Summary page here.

Almost a whole day to do 79 of 2500 sounds rather slow though if you machine was on the whole time. If your computer is on standby or hibernate then the cpu is powered down and folding is paused.

If you can leave your computer on all the time so it can fold, that's great. If not, that's OK too. Most F@H projects have due dates weeks long (before Stanford issues that work to someone else), so even using your computer part time is normally sufficient to process the WU before the due date and thus contribute to the project.

If you have F@H on a laptop be sure to set the F@H configuration to stop the program when your laptop switches to battery power.

Different Work Unit project numbers are of various sizes and fluctuate in how long each type takes to finish. There is one type worth 47 points that processes in less than a day. There is a 905 point WU project type that can take a week or more of processing. In your FAHlog there will be something like "Project: 10008 (Run xxx, Clone xxx, Gen xxx)". The size of that project can be looked up on on the Project Summary page here.

Almost a whole day to do 79 of 2500 sounds rather slow though if you machine was on the whole time. If your computer is on standby or hibernate then the cpu is powered down and folding is paused.

If you can leave your computer on all the time so it can fold, that's great. If not, that's OK too. Most F@H projects have due dates weeks long (before Stanford issues that work to someone else), so even using your computer part time is normally sufficient to process the WU before the due date and thus contribute to the project.

If you have F@H on a laptop be sure to set the F@H configuration to stop the program when your laptop switches to battery power.

My laptop is cranking through but my desktop is on its last legs really, the reason why it is on 24/7 is because if i turn it off i'm worried it wont be able to turn back on again and i need it to print stuff out etc.

Hi, welcome!

Two hopefully helpful suggestions in case you don't already know:

1. With a switch to ver6.29 in order to receive the newest WUs be sure to either say yes to "Set -advmethods flag always" in the advanced options section of the client configuration, or add the -advmethods flag to your client.

2. And if you haven't already done so get a passkey emailed to you and add it to your client in the configuration. Your passkey will be qualified by your first 10 completed WUs, then you will start to receive bonus points based on the speed your WU's are completed.

If there is anything that we might be able to help with just ask. :)

1. Set

2. Have it
:)

I've seen somewhere that WU for this beta client has much shorter deadlines. Do you have any info on this? How can I tell that my results have been rejected becouse of the deadline?

My laptop is cranking through but my desktop is on its last legs really, the reason why it is on 24/7 is because if i turn it off i'm worried it wont be able to turn back on again and i need it to print stuff out etc.

If your desktop is that old and you are worried about it then it may be best not to run F@H on it.

As for running F@H on your laptop any contributions are appreciated, and folding need not involve any changes to how you already use your system. If you want to only fold while your system would normally be on and running anyway, that's fine. There are contributors like Sophie_378 that complete and submit about one WU per month. That appears to me like she runs her folding client part-time. One WU per month may not seem like much, but she has been active on the team for over four years now, so it adds up.

The next step up would be to leave your laptop plugged in and running during the night, or all the time. Disable any power options to automatically suspend or hibernate and turn off the screensaver.

The F@H client has an option to be set to run as a service, meaning it automatically starts whenever your computer is turned on. If you combine that with the configuration option to pause folding when on battery power, and then leave your laptop plugged in and running, your F@H contribution will be hassle-free, not hinder the mobility of your system, and produce the maximum results.

I've seen somewhere that WU for this beta client has much shorter deadlines. Do you have any info on this? How can I tell that my results have been rejected becouse of the deadline?

Yes, the beta clients like SMP have much shorter deadlines. The current projects are listed on the Project Summary page here. The v6.29 client usually gets the "GRO-A3" WUs, currently projects 6011-6025.

As for your results being rejected there are two deadlines, preferred and final. If you don't make the preferred deadline then Stanford puts your WU back in the rotation and sends it out for someone else to do. This is due to the sequential nature of the research where older results determine the direction of newer projects.

If you finish before the final deadline Stanford still accepts your results and credits you points, but in order to avoid duplicating work the recommendation is if you can't consistently make the preferred deadlines then the regular clients may be a better choice than the high-performance beta ones.

Currently most A3 WUs have a 3 day preferred and 6 day final deadline. As long as your computer is finishing the WUs in less than 3 days then all is well.

Top Bottom