Please Nintendo!!

Personally, all that I like about nintendo more than other consoles are mario kart and super smash bros.

Big games on small systems, I have a feeling that wouldn't work out. Playing a game like civilization on a tiny screen would be highly annoying, IMHO.

tombeef said:
Game one, and one that I would give an arm for (well, maybe not quite that much), is Super Smash Bros. [...] My second game is Civilization.

Super Smash Bros. is already confirmed to be a launch title for the Revolution. And yes, it will be WiFi enabled.

Civilization on either the DS or the Revolution would be sweet, but that's Firaxis's decision to make, not Nintendo's. I'd peresonally prefer it on the Rev, as Civ is not exactly a portable-friendly game. It's a lot harder to play it in little bursts of five minutes, because you'd have to recall exactly what the situation was every time. Definitely better for console.

Xanikk999 said:
Nintendo is dead to me! I lost faith long ago... But with their new attitude in the market and the unvieling of the god awful control of the revolution i dont like them anymore.

That's nice, bash the controller on looks alone despite never having touched one. And of course we must ignore all the positive responses from journalists and game developers who have actually used it extensively, too. After all, we always judge books by their covers.

slozenger said:
*Firstly the PSP has absolutly trounced DS sales, by a long long way.

*Secondly, there IS a "normal" controller for the Revolution aswell

*Thirdly the DS is designed for "on-the-go" designing games that are more suited to the home environment is crossing product boundarys, therefore reducing what they can sell to us, therefore not going to happen

The only one you got right is #2.

I won't deal with the first, as it's already been proven. The DS has been outselling the PS2, PSP, GCN, GBA, and Xbox 360 combined on a weekly basis in Japan. It's pure madness.

As for the third, the DS is not, and never has been, restricted to "on-the-go" designed games. The old "standard" games are actually some of the biggest titles of the system (ie Metroid Prime Hunters, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, etc.). What the DS provides is an option for game developers to design a unique idea if they wish. Or they could just as easily design a game that provides more of the same.

It will be the same way on the Revolution. It CAN be great for unique game ideas like cooking, but it will also be able to play more traditional games like The Legend of Zelda. To say that either the DS or the Rev are expanding the types of games people will be able to play, not reducing.

tombeef said:
I agree. The Revolution will be a hit or flop. It depends on consumers being willing to try something new, and game developer's wanting to try something new. Just think though, if Nintendo could broaden the gaming community to the young, old, and in between, I think we could call video games the top form of entertainment. I'm hoping the Revolution will break new ground like the NES did.

I'm pretty sure it will do well in Japan, so it won't be a complete flop. The Japanese video game market has been going downhill over the years, which was the basis for Nintendo deciding to make a Revolutionary console in the first place. And I think the insane DS sales in that country are a good indication of that.

In America, however, things can go either way. At worst, it will flop and Nintendo will completely lose heart. At best, the Revolution will completely change the market, forcing the competitors to play catch up with their own version of the controller. It'll be somewhere between those two extremes.

I'm rather confident about the Revolution's sucess, even though nothing is guaranteed. The enthusiasm from the game developers, estimated low price point, downloads of old games from the NES, SNES, N64, and even the Sega Genesis, and free online service more than make up for the lack of horsepower, I think.

Silverflame said:
Super Smash Bros. is already confirmed to be a launch title for the Revolution. And yes, it will be WiFi enabled.

:bump:

Sorry for the confusion, I wa actually referring to the DS.

Nintendo's problem is that they were a complete jerk to third party developers. The Sega Dreamcast had more developer support than the Gamecube did. Nintendo has survived this long off of fan loyality, but most of their die-hard fans aren't buying games anymore. Pure and simple, third party developers don't develop for Nintendo (ever notice how the large majority "hit" games on the Gamecube was made by Nintendo?)

People can keep hugging Mario and Zelda games, but in the console wars Nintendo has to pull out sometype of miracle. There has been more PS2's sold in 7 years, then Nintendo has sold NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube's combined in a 17 year period.

Sony has almost 70% of the console marketshare (21 mil Gamecubes sold and 23 mil XBox's.. prepared to almost 100 mil PS2's).

---------

Onto handhelds, the DS has sold pretty well. However, the handheld market is MUCH smaller than the console market. Not only that, but Nintendo is no facing competition in the handheld market for the first time in years (the PSP).

The PSP is still in it's early stages of life though and if Sony does make the PSP and PS3 work hand-in-hand, then you can expect ALOT of PSP's sold in later years.

Nintendo is going to have to stop being a complete jerk to third party developers (they still have the highest royality fee and they also do not award developers for 'good' games). They have to get developers to start making games for the DS, games that are not Mario or Zelda.

Strider said:
Nintendo's problem is that they were a complete jerk to third party developers. The Sega Dreamcast had more developer support than the Gamecube did. Nintendo has survived this long off of fan loyality, but most of their die-hard fans aren't buying games anymore. Pure and simple, third party developers don't develop for Nintendo (ever notice how the large majority "hit" games on the Gamecube was made by Nintendo?)

People can keep hugging Mario and Zelda games, but in the console wars Nintendo has to pull out sometype of miracle. There has been more PS2's sold in 7 years, then Nintendo has sold NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube's combined in a 17 year period.

Sony has almost 70% of the console marketshare (21 mil Gamecubes sold and 23 mil XBox's.. prepared to almost 100 mil PS2's).

---------

Onto handhelds, the DS has sold pretty well. However, the handheld market is MUCH smaller than the console market. Not only that, but Nintendo is no facing competition in the handheld market for the first time in years (the PSP).

The PSP is still in it's early stages of life though and if Sony does make the PSP and PS3 work hand-in-hand, then you can expect ALOT of PSP's sold in later years.

Nintendo is going to have to stop being a complete jerk to third party developers (they still have the highest royality fee and they also do not award developers for 'good' games). They have to get developers to start making games for the DS, games that are not Mario or Zelda.

You're dead on with the console sales, however, the handheld markets gap with the console market is shrinking. Although the console systems still have a sizable lead, many forecasters are saying handhled systems may equal or even outsell consoles in 2006 because of the new systems, which always causes a slowdown. In March alone in Japan the DS dominated. (Source Here.) More then the PS and PS2 combined. So far, the DS and GBA are completely outselling the PSP, although it isn't quite the monopoly they have had in recent years.

Nintendo is claiming that third-party developer's are jumping on the Wii bandwagon, but until I see a large selection of games, I will have to take that with a grain of salt.

Without Nintendo console market would be very boring. They are currently the only company who takes riskes. Actually Nintendo is fighting for their survival on regular console market (not handheld) because Nintendo isn't as sexy as Playstation and X-Box. Their only way to survive is to take a risk and try something new. If they don't do that they would suffer the same fate what happened to Sega.

PS3 and X0 are just updated versions of PS2 and X-box. They bring absolutely nothing NEW to console market. They are just same consoles with better specs. Nintendo at least tries something new and I appreciate them for that.

Nintendo has ALWAYS been revolutionary in video game console ideas but after a while other companys pick up like sony or some **** and make it better...

I HATE SONY...sorry a bit random

Grohan said:
Without Nintendo console market would be very boring. They are currently the only company who takes riskes. Actually Nintendo is fighting for their survival on regular console market (not handheld) because Nintendo isn't as sexy as Playstation and X-Box. Their only way to survive is to take a risk and try something new. If they don't do that they would suffer the same fate what happened to Sega.

PS3 and X0 are just updated versions of PS2 and X-box. They bring absolutely nothing NEW to console market. They are just same consoles with better specs. Nintendo at least tries something new and I appreciate them for that.

What is Nintendo doing that is any differant than what they've done before? The controller is new, but it isn't something amazing or surprising. A controller is a controller and no one will buy the system just for the controller.

Also, Nintendo isn't being risky in the least bit. Out of all three of them, Sony is the only one willing to take a risk on their console. Of course, Sony will likely take 70%-75% of the marketshare again this generation.

Nintendo I believe are trying very hard to get third-party developers interested in the Wii. They're also making the development kits cheap to make it easier for people to develop for the Wii.

Strider said:
The controller is new, but it isn't something amazing or surprising.
I believe almost every online gaming community would disagree with you on the "not surprising" part.

Before the Wii I've never cared at all about any console launch and I'm really excited about getting a Wii when it launches.

I feel funny when I think of how "Wii" sounds in my head.

Quentin said:
I believe almost every online gaming community would disagree with you on the "not surprising" part.

Oh, it was a surprise that they changed the controller, but everyone knew that Nintendo had to do something "revolutionary." Other than the controller, the Wii is just a hardware upgrade from the Gamecube. They have to do something new just to keep people interested.

Strider said:
Oh, it was a surprise that they changed the controller, but everyone knew that Nintendo had to do something "revolutionary." Other than the controller, the Wii is just a hardware upgrade from the Gamecube. They have to do something new just to keep people interested.

Exactly my thoughts....the controller is all they have going for.

On the contrary...I am going out to buy it just for the controller haha...

me and my friends made something close to it with a couple game controllers at my house...Not the 3d movement part but most of the movements were implemented

Drivebymaster said:
On the contrary...I am going out to buy it just for the controller haha...

me and my friends made something close to it with a couple game controllers at my house...Not the 3d movement part but most of the movements were implemented

......2d movements? ROFL :lol:

Cleric said:
Exactly my thoughts....the controller is all they have going for.

One could easily make the point that all the Xbox 360 and PS3 have is some spec upgrades and a few more multimedia options. The Wii offers a brand new controller, which in terms of game play is probably the biggest contributor.

tombeef said:
One could easily make the point that all the Xbox 360 and PS3 have is some spec upgrades and a few more multimedia options. The Wii offers a brand new controller, which in terms of game play is probably the biggest contributor.

Except that, in terms of gameplay, Sony is the only one aiding gameplay at it's source. The developers.

Sony has spent millions on just getting the coding, engines, etc. in putting together their dev box. Speed Tree, Unreal Engine, Havok Physic engine, OpenMAX, OpenVG, AGEIA Physic engine, CG 1.5 shading engine, COLLADA 3D, etc.

Add in that Sony also rewards developers for making games that actually sell, thereby increasing a need for devs to actually make good games.

I agree that if Nintendo wants Wii to work, they're going to have to be nicer to 3rd party developers. But if the Wii has as much (or more) support as the competition, it will be a huge success.

odintheking said:
I agree that if Nintendo wants Wii to work, they're going to have to be nicer to 3rd party developers. But if the Wii has as much (or more) support as the competition, it will be a huge success.

Yep, as I said, Nintendo claims they have a LOT more third party support this time around, put until the Wii comes out, I'll wait and see. Apparently, there will be 20 games at launch.

tombeef said:
Yep, as I said, Nintendo claims they have a LOT more third party support this time around, put until the Wii comes out, I'll wait and see. Apparently, there will be 20 games at launch.

20 games at launch is more than the 360 had (Microsoft only had 14 launch titles), but less than the PS3 (which has 30 right now, including Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone, and the new Warhawk.)

Looking at what is known about the Wii titles, most of them are being mage by Nintendo (looks like there is 8 made by Nintendo).

Top Bottom