Please Read: Welcome to the C-IV GOTM

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by ainwood, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Sharpe_

Sharpe_ Chieftain

Hi. Sorry I'm new to the forum so don't know where to ask this. Please redirect me to the correct place if needs be.

I want to ask if anyone is able to play Civ IV GOTM on Steam's version of BOTS?

The Mac BUFFY mod runs fine on its own, but when I try to open the downloaded GOTM save file I get the error: "The save file you have selected is protected to ensure that the assets in your mod folder have not been changed".
    I suspect it might be because the Steam version has some different assets to the version the save file was originally made in.
    I'm definitely using the final version of BOTS, with the correct BUFFY mod.

Anyone know anything about this?
    Thanks for your help.

2. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

If I recall correctly, the STEAM version changed to a different multiplayer platform and, thus, the assets changed.

Go to STEAM, click on Civ4 BTS, right click and in the menu, click on Properties. In the next menu, across the top you'll see BETAS on the right side, click on it. Under BETAS you'll see "Select the beta you would like to opt into". Click on the arrowhead on the right and select "original_release_unsupported-Original Release -" and that should realign the assets. :please:

3. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

4. Sharpe_

Sharpe_ Chieftain

Thanks both. That is definitely the correct fix if you are running BTS on windows. As per these instructions I also found. But sadly I'm on a mac...
    There is no BETA for the mac version because it was never affected by the steam multiplayer update. Which means the error might have another origin.

Such a shame as I was really looking forward to playing a GOTM. If anyone hears of somebody playing GOTM via Steam, on a mac - I'd love to hear.

Cheers for your help anyway. Much obliged.

5. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Please run the Mac Asset Checker that I created, and post the text it produces. This may identify the problem. It’s attached to the first post in the MacBuffy thread

6. Conquistador 63

Conquistador 63 Deity

I should have known already after all those years of playing GOTM, but I have a simple question: in the turn immediately after we win, is it ok to take additional actions (e.g. conquer one more city just for additional points) and then save/submit this last save?

7. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

No

Conquistador 63 likes this.
  8. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

But it won't have any effect on your score, since the GOTM software looks at the game state at the beginning of the turn. (I got fussed at once for experimenting with this. :blush:)