1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Polish Empire for BTS - Expanded Edition

Discussion in 'Civ4 - New Civilizations' started by asioasioasio, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Nikoagonistes

Nikoagonistes Chieftain

Well, I got the Mac version of Civ V complete for Christmas but, unfortunately, this mod only seems to work with Windows (as the installer is an EXE)? Is it possible to install this mod somehow on the Mac? (extract the files from the exe and install them manually or something?)

2. DariusTheGreat1

DariusTheGreat1 Chieftain

I read your pettion, and didn't in WW2, Poland invade Czechoslovakia.

3. Markus Ramikin

Markus Ramikin Justicar

Two problems.

1. The Units listing in Civilopedia is cut off: it lists from Airship to Crossbowman but nothing more. (Fortunately the Unit Categories listing works correctly)

2. Much more importantly: this mod breaks something when used with BUG. When trying to use this mod with BUG (installed in Custom Assets), tech screen shows nothing, and then the UI is gone. Now I'd like to be able to play Polish Empire and use dotmaps at the same time...

(I am using this mod's version 1.3, which isn't linked to in the original post of this thread, but I found it on http://www.civ.org.pl/downloads.php?lang=Pol&type=Civ4&section=Mody . I quickly checked 1.2 though and it's got the same problem.)

EDIT:
    I tried dumping all the CustomAssets (which included the BUG mod) plus Better AI straight into the mod folder, and... it's working. For now. Somehow. Mysterious are the Ways of the Machine.

Edit2:
    Is this mod's graphics trying to imply Polish axemen in pre-medieval times wore Heavy Hussar-style armor? :p How is that supposed to make sense... the alternative flavor graphics are very good and IMO should be part of the default installation.

Overall, this mod is lots of fun. Tried a few Monarch games with it and enjoyed them.

The Hussars' flanking of Musketmen looks like a powerful ability, but probably not more OP than a lot of other things in this game (cough war elephants cough). It's such a shame that Civ4 has no decent artillery pieces in the Husaria's era of dominance, but this is no one's fault. Still, a bit silly to use trebs and catapults together with Winged Hussars :d

Sobieski makes an interesting warmongering leader. Pity Casimir has no room for Financial, although I guess Protective with faster castle building makes historical sense, and Organized is reasonably useful.

The one thing I think needs improvement is the "Background" description of the Sejmik. When I try to put myself in the shoes of non-Polish players, the description of the Sejmik looks like meaningless verbiage. What were its role and powers? There are literally two words addressing that ("Regional Council") while the rest of the desc is useless out-of-context trivia: etymology, Nieszawa Statutes, Sejm Niemy (what were those? or, for that matter, who cares?) and other such things. Don't cram in references just because you can. It makes it look like middle-school writing.

Compare the desc of the other Courthouse replacement, the Ratthaus: nicely short, clear, and to the point.

I do like the role you gave the sejmik. Courthouse-based works with Casimir's Organized, and additional xp to mounted units works with Husaria. Nice synergy. :thumbsup:

4. Markus Ramikin

Markus Ramikin Justicar

Hm, the Heavy Hussars' flanking doesn't seem to work.

By now I've had several battles in open field (not sieges) where I attacked stacks containing Muskets. I've never once had a flanking result.

So I worldbuilded a large stack of Hussars and a large stack of enemy Muskets and Cannons and attacked. No flanking results, at all. A comparable stack of Cuirrassiers got a lot of flanking results, so I know I'm not doing anything wrong.

And yes, I checked on a clean version, without BUG or Better AI.

EDIT
    I found the problem.
    Cuirassier xml:
    Code:
    			<iCollateralDamageLimit>100</iCollateralDamageLimit>
    			<iCollateralDamageMaxUnits>6</iCollateralDamageMaxUnits>
    Hussar xml:
    Code:
    			<iCollateralDamageLimit>0</iCollateralDamageLimit>
    			<iCollateralDamageMaxUnits>0</iCollateralDamageMaxUnits>