POLL: strongest civ in civ5

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Jim Bro, May 1, 2011.

?

who is the strongest civ?

1. America

12 vote(s)
    2.5%
  2. Arabia

19 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. Aztec

6 vote(s)
    1.2%
  4. Babylon

42 vote(s)
    8.6%
  5. China

54 vote(s)
    11.0%
  6. Egypt

10 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. England

6 vote(s)
    1.2%
  8. France

49 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. Germany

4 vote(s)
    0.8%
  10. Greece

26 vote(s)
    5.3%
  11. Inca

11 vote(s)
    2.2%
  12. India

11 vote(s)
    2.2%
  13. Iroquois

8 vote(s)
    1.6%
  14. Japan

31 vote(s)
    6.3%
  15. Mongolia

24 vote(s)
    4.9%
  16. Ottomans

10 vote(s)
    2.0%
  17. Persia

37 vote(s)
    7.6%
  18. Polynesia

10 vote(s)
    2.0%
  19. Rome

29 vote(s)
    5.9%
  20. Russia

20 vote(s)
    4.1%
  21. Siam

46 vote(s)
    9.4%
  22. Songhai

19 vote(s)
    3.9%
  23. Spain

5 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Keejus

Keejus Prince

Looking at Ramesses' AI, that actually sounds reasonable enough. He loves building wonders and tile improvements, does not try to maintain a large army, and will denounce you at the drop of a hat and then call you up every five turns to tell you he hates you. It's like he's begging you to take a swipe at him, only to end up with five wonders and some of the most productive, fertile land on earth.

2. Ciek

Ciek Warlord

The main strength of the egyptian UB is the happiness boost, at least for me anyways. I still voted for China, but Persia, Japan and Siam are close behind, Siam doesn't get the vote because They are usually pretty useless in MP, and I find that France and Russia are very much overestimated on MP but neither is as good in SP. Mongolia dominates as well, but the domination slows down once Keshiks are obsoleted, and the Ottomans are superpowers during a small timeframe, just as Spain is. Germany still has 0 votes, I think we need some balance checks on them >.<. I really hope they cover this in Polycast :D

3. qyll

qyll Prince

Agreed. That +2 happiness is VERY significant if you're going to puppet some stuff.

4. cairnsy44

cairnsy44 Gooner - first class

I agree that America is pretty weak. I really like the idea of extra Settler or worker production. +1 sight is just very lame.

5. SRG

SRG Warlord

I actually enjoy the +1 sight. It is subtle, but it is also universal. America only really shines when it has a lot of open space to expand into though, I think.

6. Jim Bro

Jim Bro Emperor of Quebec

i guess it all depends about the difficulty we're playing too. i wouldn't vote for Siam if i would play hard because god knows that we're lacking money at hard difficulty and wouldn't have cash to buy city-states influence anyways.

7. Jim Bro

i like the fact that people only have 1 vote. it makes the poll so more accurate.

8. snarzberry

snarzberry Emperor

Actually, in the hardest levels you end up with the most money as you benefit from the AI's gold bonus by selling them stuff.

9. Jim Bro

yeah people told me that but sorry i remain unconvinced. the Ai refuses to pay a 10 bucks tribute so they are not going to buy my open borders for 800$ lol.

germany has no vote after 189 votes lol.

10. snarzberry

snarzberry Emperor

Doesn't it annoy you that the AI comes and asks for :c5gold: from you as a gift but will never do the same for you in return! :)

Honestly though, selling resources for the full 300 :c5gold: right from the beginning of the game, sometimes even on turn 10 if you settle on a mining resource and research mining first makes a huge difference to your income. In a regular 4 - 6 city empire you probably have something like 5 - 8 copies of a resource to sell to the AI and getting the full price turns into a lot of money for RA's and CS's.

You can develop a massive economy on any level with or without selling resources, but selling resources helps on higher diffs to offset the AI advantages.

11. Jon the Bastard

Jon the Bastard Warlord

I voted for France. I really think that they have a number of different strengths that allow France to focus on turtling a military force until the Renaissance era, while concentrating on culture and adopting advantageous social policies. Once France hits the Musketeer, I find them to be a really effective offensive military force all the way to the end of the game. As a defensive force, they can be nearly unbreakable if you couple their Foreign Legion with the right World Wonders and social policies.

12. Jim Bro

i wonder why people didn't vote for the Ottomans or Germany. Everyone I know who play civ5 like the German unique ability (it might not last long enough to actually worth it however) and janissaries are the best unique unit in game in my opinion (i agree though that the Ottoman unique ability is useless lol)

i don't think hitler would agree with this poll lol

22 for France 0 for Germany

13. CossackProblem

CossackProblem Warlord

Ottomans and Germans are too ticky-tacky with their UA's and have generally late-ish game UU's.

I think Greece is the best simply because they take the least effort to win with, IMO.

14. cowkimon

cowkimon Chieftain

I'm going with Denmark. If you're trying for a conquest victory on anything but a Pangaea map their embarkation bonuses come in extremely handy (especially when combined with Berserkers).

15. Jim Bro

what do you mean by ticky-tacky? and how come you have ben laden's face as an avatar lol

16. Catastrophe90

Catastrophe90 Warlord

1. Basically, Germany's UA lacks consistency and peters out after around Medieval Age. 25% isn't that much if the Barbarians aren't set to Raging, and most Barb camps are cleared out before Medieval except maybe on island heavy maps. Compare that to the Aztec UA that rewards you for both Barb and enemy civ unit kills (that are present throughout the whole game), and you'll see why the German UA is lackluster. The Ottoman UA is even worse; sea Barbs are less common than land ones. At least they have beastly UUs to compensate, something that Germany lacks.

2. ROFL That's Saladin from Civ 4 IIRC. He's the leader of the Arabs.

17. Lyoncet

Lyoncet Emperor

The major problem with Furor Teutonicus (I've said this before so anyone who's seen that can just skip this) is that it's way, way too settings dependent. Not just no barbs/raging barbs, but unless you have the right speed/map script/civ-to-map-size balance and, most importantly, difficulty, you'll get next to no benefit from it. By the time I got to immortal, I found that unless I really wanted to gimp my exploration (which usually hurts more than it helps), I could take out two to four camps, even on Pangaea. That's one, maybe two brutes - since with all the spawn busting and barb hunting the AI does, you almost never even see spears. Combined with the lackluster Panzer and the meh (but not quite as meh as people often claim) landsknecht, you've got a civilization that only has war bonuses, none of which are that good. That's not the makings of a good civ; I'd be very surprised if anyone claimed they were the best.

18. tedoll78

tedoll78 aka 'HylianTom' :)

Playing as France in my online matches has served me well, and I understand why some folks host "No France" as a game rule.
    A while ago, someone in the multiplayer forum posted a great policy strategy for opening the game..

1) On Turn 5, Tradition >> +3 in capitol >> 6/turn

2) On Turn 10, Liberty >> +1 in each city>> 7/turn

3) On Turn 19, Collective Rule >> +1 free settler = +4 in second city >> 11/turn

So in just over 20 turns (allowing a few turns for city placement), France has two cities already founded, and they're two relatively quick policies away from getting an important early-game wonder via Great Engineer. At times, this start has provided enough of a good boost to provide a small advantage for at least the early-to-middle phases of the game.

Meanwhile, on Turn 20, a competing civilization would often be just starting into their second social policy, hoping for a cultural goody hut hit. The March patch changes to Tradition and Liberty have almost made France a bit over-powered, in this respect.

19. Jim Bro

sorry but it's 50% chances that a barb join your side not 25%. and when a barb does join your side it gives you 25 gold.

20. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

america weak is just an opinion. +1 sight is one of the best ua in the game and america is awesome good uniques too. i voted for them because they're my favorite