[POLL] - We'll surely get Maya, Persia and Rome. What will be the last Classical era civ?

What is the remaining Classical Era civ, other than confirmed or certain ones?

• Moche (South America)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Nazca (South America)

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Nabateans (Arabs, builders of Petra)

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Numidians (Maghreb)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Picts, or other Celtic/Gallic culture

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Saba (kingdom in Yemen)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Scythians/Sarmatians/Sakas

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Silla (kingdom in Korea)

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks for your responses. I'm not disputing that the Yamato period could be made into a functional Culture (I'm aware of the Kofun tombs), moreover I don't associate their adoption of agriculture as something "Emblematic".

After looking over some earlier screenshots, I'm pretty confident which culture will be revealed today, but I won't reveal it here yet in case I'm wrong or people don't want to be spoiled.

Just be honest afterwards if you were right or wrong :) Since I'm curious and have no idea. In any case, it will be a new or altered artwork anyways.

Hopefully no turtle ships or Hwacha in the classical era... ;-)
This we can agree on :)

If I was designing a culture around Silla, I'd probably use the Hwarang as the EU, and the Cheomseongdae as the EQ. They'd probably be best suited as Scientist or Aesthete. You could make the argument for Agrarian when considering the long history of rice farming on the peninsula, and the extensive use of irrigation and iron tools during this period. Some archeologists also believe the Cheomseongdae was built to help farmers plan their crops.

Thanks for your responses. I'm not disputing that the Yamato period could be made into a functional Culture (I'm aware of the Kofun tombs), moreover I don't associate their adoption of agriculture as something "Emblematic".

After looking over some earlier screenshots, I'm pretty confident which culture will be revealed today, but I won't reveal it here yet in case I'm wrong or people don't want to be spoiled.

Can you point me to those screenshots please?

Can you point me to those screenshots please?
There's a shot in the very first "Developer's Diary: Origins" video that gives us a lot of information. I'll let you figure out which one.

Reactions: j51
Alright, disregard anything I said! I was wrong! Interesting...

Now I wanna know who you thought it would be? I couldn't get a good guess from the video myself.

Well I guess I did vote right. :lol:
If I was designing a culture around Silla, I'd probably use the Hwarang as the EU, and the Cheomseongdae as the EQ. They'd probably be best suited as Scientist or Aesthete. You could make the argument for Agrarian when considering the long history of rice farming on the peninsula, and the extensive use of irrigation and iron tools during this period. Some archeologists also believe the Cheomseongdae was built to help farmers plan their crops.
That EU and EU though would fit better in the Medieval Era.Of course now it's plausible that Silla might get in next era with them.

Didn't see the Celts coming, so that means that you can't do a full East Asia run atm

Now I wanna know who you thought it would be? I couldn't get a good guess from the video myself.
Spoiler :
chrome_2020-04-22_16-17-30.jpg

I made the conclusion it would be a Japanese culture. In this screenshot, we can see Egyptian features for Ancient, Khmer EQ for Medieval, and Germans for what I assume is early modern (but could be late modern). To the centre-left however there appears to be some kind of Japanese palace or garden, so I naturally assumed the Classical Era choice for this player was the Yamato. There's another clip in the most recent Feature Focus that shows what could Shinto Shrines, which can be backdated to this period of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: j51
Called it. There were actually some Celtic soldiers fighting Achaemenid Persians in the last video. :)
The city in conorbebe's picture has some Roman Triumphal arches to the north. It's the city I mentioned in my previous post as it combines Khmer and Japanese together, pushing the latter into the Early Modern Era.

Top Bottom