[POLL] - We'll surely get Maya, Persia and Rome. What will be the last Classical era civ?

What is the remaining Classical Era civ, other than confirmed or certain ones?

• Moche (South America)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Nazca (South America)

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Nabateans (Arabs, builders of Petra)

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Numidians (Maghreb)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Picts, or other Celtic/Gallic culture

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Saba (kingdom in Yemen)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Scythians/Sarmatians/Sakas

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Silla (kingdom in Korea)

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For Muromachi Japan, there is also this bit from the trailer, where you can see a Japanese castle with a torii gate to the left:

Spoiler :
upload_2020-4-15_14-26-10.png

Three East Asian civs in Early Modern may seem like a bit much, but I guarantee Europeans will consistently get that number or better every era except for Ancient. Meanwhile, I could see Mongols filling that niche in Medieval, since they conquered most of East Asia anyway, and Meiji Japan in Industrial, when China and Korea weren't doing so hot.

Reactions: j51
Personally I think going through classical and medieval with no Chinese culture would be bad even with our limited roster and how big the medieval era is for candidates.

Personally I think going through classical and medieval with no Chinese culture would be bad even with our limited roster and how big the medieval era is for candidates.
I agree, and therefore Ming strikes me as an odd choice for Medieval. I can see why Ming where chosen as the imperial dynasty overall, but for medieval Tang seem the obvious pick. Song would be better as well. Even if they put Ming in Medieval, that means no Chinese civ for two eras anyway.

That document is interesting. I haven’t spotted any Durbar Square in any video, but if someone else really did - Malla would be a fascinating and most welcome pick for East Asian early modern.

Just found this: the Humankind Discord made this spreadsheet of confirmed and likely civilizations based on obsessive analysis of the official Twitter account and dev diaries.
Zulu Kingdom? Is there evidence for their inclusion?

I agree, and therefore Ming strikes me as an odd choice for Medieval. I can see why Ming where chosen as the imperial dynasty overall, but for medieval Tang seem the obvious pick. Song would be better as well. Even if they put Ming in Medieval, that means no Chinese civ for two eras anyway.
But Amplitude is going for what people know of cultures. If people know of past China at all, they know of Qin Shi Huang and the terracotta army, warring states, Zheng He's treasure fleet, and the opium wars. Thus, Ming.

But Amplitude is going for what people know of cultures. If people know of past China at all, they know of Qin Shi Huang and the terracotta army, warring states, Zheng He's treasure fleet, and the opium wars. Thus, Ming.
They probably know Mulan thanks to Disney and other pop culture depictions of her. Disney's Mulan is definitely Tang, which is also where the Qing-era romance places her. The fact that the original ballad places her in Northern Wei probably doesn't mean much to most non-Chinese audiences. I'd guess most people's mental images of Imperial China are either Tang (with the elaborate hanfu and bright colors) or Qing (with the queues and pajama-like silks and bound feet and so on). Don't forget Di Renjie was also Tang, and he's gotten some pop culture cred from the perception that he is "Chinese Sherlock Holmes."

My eyes bled a little from reading Aztecs getting the Moon pyramid as a quarter...
Teotihuacan is also on the Aztec's Civ6 city list. I don't think Teotihuacan will ever escape being presumed Aztec. :p

I'm starting to think that East Asia might sit out the Classical Era and we might get the Zapotecs, since they seem more along the lines of a "cultural progression" to the Aztecs than the Maya are.
They were also mentioned by the devs.

But Amplitude is going for what people know of cultures.
Not necessarily. This is part of the consideration of how we present the cultures, as we do need our players to grasp who we are talking about, but this is by far not the only factor in who we include and what traits, quarter, and unit we give to them.

My eyes bled a little from reading Aztecs getting the Moon pyramid as a quarter...
Keep in mind that the sheet says "As Commons Quarter" (though the last word is cut off in the image). Common's Quarters are one of the "generic" quarters, so their architecture is (technically) not exclusive to one specific culture, but a culture group. (of course, at release some of these culture groups will have only a very small number of members, making the style virtually exclusive). For example, the Greeks and the Romans will use the same style of architecture for their generic Quarters, so will use the same "main structure" on their Commons Quarters.

We actually did come around to solving the identity of the culture in question and they turned out to be Aztecs. You can see the Templo Mayor/Tenochtitlan's double pyramid and other bits at the very edge of both medieval mesoamerican settlements in one of the videos. There is still an unsolved question of those two cities having different common's districts (one of them being the Temple of the Moon... we know what Teotihuacan is, people, have some faith in your fellow 4X fanatics :p) despite being seemingly from the same era.

As far as the other questions are concerned, the Zulu kingdom's flag (the one that looks almost exatcly like Lithuania's) is visible on the tech tree and we also have a shot of an avatar dressed in Zulu clothes in that very same vid.
Japan is placed in Early Modern because we have shots of cities which show both the Japanese and Khmer buildings, but Khmer is a confirmed medieval culture. The wonder was also rebuilt in the early Edo period and we've seen matchlock troops. Their avatar's clothes are also shown alongside two other Asian powers in shots which are delineated by 10 avatars, seemingly each representing an era. All around there's a heap of arguments for it and the sole argument against placing them in Early Modern is that it already has Ming (confirmed to be Early Modern as far back as the Gamescom presentation) and Joseon in it.
Lastly, the Durbar Square was in the reveal trailer itself. It was not a game asset, just a part of the photo collage. All in all their chance of inclusion seems rather slim but it's impossible to say for sure right now.

And in the spirit of the thread, I'm still voting for someone "Celtic" being the last culture shown. But that's really just a shot in the dark now.
Hope that helped at least partially with some of the observations. I don't want to spoil you the fun of finding all of these, and more, by yourselves. ;)

Thanks for the explanation! :)

If the aphabetical rule is fulfilled, I think the more likely options are Silla and Yamato.

Scythians are kind of week with Huns confirmed, and which celtic culture could come after Britons, Gaels, Gauls, Helvetians and Picts being disqualified?

I'm starting to think that East Asia might sit out the Classical Era and we might get the Zapotecs, since they seem more along the lines of a "cultural progression" to the Aztecs than the Maya are.
They were also mentioned by the devs.
I would love to see Zapotecs on the game. Have Zapotec (Classical) and Mixtec (Medieval) could be interesting, but I doub devs would be so generous with Mesoamerica.
The better representation for Mesoamerica I would expect would be something like this:
Olmec (Ancient) > Mayan (Classical) > Zapotec (Medieval) > Aztec (Early Modern) > Mexican (Industrial)

So you have the major ethnic groups of the region. Olmecs represent Totozoqueans (still debatable), Mayans, Zapotecs for Otomangueans, Aztecs are Utoaztecs, and finally Mexicans the hispanics and other old world people. I mean on a game about add cultures to your nations, what is better that add a lot of cultures for one of the most cultural diverse countries as is Mexico.

About Tiawanaku. I would like to see an Andean line like this:
Chavin (Ancient) > Moche (Classical) > Tiawanaku (Medieval) > Inca (Early Modern) > Peruvian (Industrial)

Olmec (Ancient) > Mayan (Classical) > Zapotec (Medieval) > Aztec (Early Modern) > Mexican (Industrial)
I still think Aztec fit better in Medieval, but I don't know who I'd place in Early Modern Mesoamerica. On the other hand, we haven't been guaranteed an unbroken line for any region.

Slightly off topic, but Peru is my second favorite coffee region, after East Africa. Peruvian coffee is the only New World coffee I really love.

I would love to see Zapotecs on the game. Have Zapotec (Classical) and Mixtec (Medieval) could be interesting, but I doub devs would be so generous with Mesoamerica.
The better representation for Mesoamerica I would expect would be something like this:

So you have the major ethnic groups of the region. Olmecs represent Totozoqueans (still debatable), Mayans, Zapotecs for Otomangueans, Aztecs are Utoaztecs, and finally Mexicans the hispanics and other old world people. I mean on a game about add cultures to your nations, what is better that add a lot of cultures for one of the most cultural diverse countries as is Mexico.

About Tiawanaku. I would like to see an Andean line like this:
Chavin (Ancient) > Moche (Classical) > Tiawanaku (Medieval) > Inca (Early Modern) > Peruvian (Industrial)
I'm not sold on Aztecs and Inca as Early Modern civs. Chronologically, that's really pushing it, and I suspect there will be generic gunpowder units in the Early Modern era that won't fit those civilizations. For Early Modern natives I could see something like the Iroquois or Puebloans, while the Comanche might make a good Late Modern pick.

I hope we don't get another European civ for the Classical era.

I really can't see them defying the alphabetical order now. If they didn't have the full list of cultures decided already, I don't think they would have begun revealing them yet.

I'm pretty sure the last Classical civ will be Agrarian, because there's been no instance of that archetype so far. In case I turn out to be right, I'm putting down my guess as Yamato—I think they fit best.

Top Bottom